IGNORED

Girl trying to get her surgery funded

Squee

I probably phrased that a little obtusely, I'm not saying that that she is trans just that the level of obliquity to the whole thing just raised suspicions (and no I'm really not that facetious to have gone straight for her looks to call her out). Either way there's an interesting post she made on an indie gaming site, not 100% which way it swings things -

"Suppose I was for a moment that I was a transsexual. What does that have to do with anything? Are you assuming the only problems a transsexual has are related to body modification? You do also realize that many countries, including the US, will provide GRS to low income individuals who demonstrate a medical need, right? On top of that, who gives you the authority to out me to the rest of the world? That is probably the most unthinkably cruel thing you could do to a transsexual, and as a fellow LGBT, I have witnessed first hand the struggles these people have to endure, I have even lost one of my best friends due to people being this ignorant."

EDIT: Reading back my post, that too may look a little judgemental - Apologies it's not meant to, sometimes I'm pretty rubbish at explaining myself.

EDIT2: OK didn't notice the section on her kickstarter - "My parents are fundamentalist Christians, and I haven't spoken to either of them (barring a few incidents) since they severed ties with me after they discovered that I was not straight."

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I don't think anyone here cares that she is trans(I know that I don't). We were just questioning whether or not she is attempting to use this money for something related to gender reassignment, and is posing as someone whose life is being threatened. The stuff doesn't really add up. In reference to the quote that mcbpete posted above, if she can't handle people knowing she is trans then she shouldn't be trans. I would feel no responsibility for any repercussions of her being outed. Especially, when you are putting yourself in the public eye to gain financial help.

"Suppose I was for a moment that I was a transsexual. What does that have to do with anything? Are you assuming the only problems a transsexual has are related to body modification? You do also realize that many countries, including the US, will provide GRS to low income individuals who demonstrate a medical need, right? On top of that, who gives you the authority to out me to the rest of the world? That is probably the most unthinkably cruel thing you could do to a transsexual, and as a fellow LGBT, I have witnessed first hand the struggles these people have to endure, I have even lost one of my best friends due to people being this ignorant."

Answering questions with questions and dodging any kind of legitimate answer is usually a sign of foul play.

Also, her case could have been put back up for a number of reasons. It could have been as simple as the way that her donation was worded or that the company was afraid of legal problems arising from them denying her access to the site.

Guest Iain C

if she can't handle people knowing she is trans then she shouldn't be trans.

Most startlingly ignorant non-compson thing I've read on here all week. It's not a choice, you berk.

And again: you don't know whether she is or isn't. You literally have no idea. There are a lot of women, born women, whose appearances probably don't meet your standards of femininity. That's your problem, not theirs.

Whether she is or isn't, it has no relevance to this case. Wow, so you think she might want the money for trans-related surgery? You might as well speculate that maybe she's secretly obsessed with the London Underground and is seeking the cash so she can build a 1:1 scale replica of the defunct Aldgate station underneath her back garden. It's just speculation.

Stick to the facts.

Guest Iain C

Incidentally if what I just said about Aldgate station is true, she should just come out and say it. There are a lot of London Underground fanatics on Reddit and Tumblr. I'd Kickstart it in no time flat.

if she can't handle people knowing she is trans then she shouldn't be trans.

Most startlingly ignorant non-compson thing I've read on here all week. It's not a choice, you berk.

And again: you don't know whether she is or isn't. You literally have no idea. There are a lot of women, born women, whose appearances probably don't meet your standards of femininity. That's your problem, not theirs.

Whether she is or isn't, it has no relevance to this case. Wow, so you think she might want the money for trans-related surgery? You might as well speculate that maybe she's secretly obsessed with the London Underground and is seeking the cash so she can build a 1:1 scale replica of the defunct Aldgate station underneath her back garden. It's just speculation.

Stick to the facts.

I've actually pointed out a lot of evidence that points towards this being bullshit. I'm building a character profile here with possible motive. To say I have no idea when I've gathered information and posed important questions is ignorant on your part. The forum post that mcbpete posted is basically a confession to the fact(obviously my opinion, but my opinion is as legitimate as yours). I really don't give a shit if she is trans or not, but when you are trying to decipher if someone is being deceitful then you build a character profile, and you examine possible motives.

No, what you proposed is not anywhere close to similar to what I've been talking about. So, actually that is false.

Also, I don't understand what you are getting at with that bolded quote. I never said anything about having a problem with masculine women whatsoever. I don't get why you are telling me I have a problem. Not one time did I say that it was bad that she has some masculine features, or that she could possibly (as remote as you think that possibility is) be trans. I'm a very open-minded person and accepting of all walks of life. Please do not try to make it seem otherwise.

To be embarrassed about your own identity is your problem not anyone else's. So to say that someone holds responsibility for ruining your life, because they shed light on who you truly are is really to confess that you are ashamed of yourself.

Stick to the facts.

And honestly, there aren't a lot of facts to stick to at all in this case, because she conveniently hasn't offered any to us. Please understand what investigating and speculation are and stop being emotionally invested in this subject.

EDIT: I've already stated that if I'm wrong and she legitimately needs help that I hope she gets it.

Guest Iain C

Edit: @adieu

You have literally no grounds to assume that this woman is trans except for a) the fact that, in your opinion, she looks too masculine and b) that she's asking for money.

I'm not saying you claimed it's bad that she may be trans. What I'm saying is, it's a stupid assumption to make full stop. Based on one photograph? Get real. And it's even more stupid to turn that assumption into a potential motive for fraud or deception. You're speculating, plain and simple.

Like I said - I don't think the story adds up either. But I think you're reaching for a motive based on little more than a photograph and your own prejudices about what a woman should look like.

Guest Iain C

Oh and by the way,

"To be embarrassed about your own identity is your problem not anyone else's. So to say that someone holds responsibility for ruining your life, because they shed light on who you truly are is really to confess that you are ashamed of yourself."

It's not about being embarrassed you idiot, it's about being safe. Check out the violent crime statistics for transwomen.

Seriously this is probably the dumbest, most ignorant comment I've seen on this board outside of a compson post for weeks. As if trans people can just walk out of the closet into a world that's accepting, tolerant and non-violent. Flol.

I mean I'm not promoting the idea, and I think everyone should exercise discretion regarding peoples' personal affairs. That specific forum question seemed to be framed as an inquiry into this fundraiser so I'm ok with it being posed. I think that she should be honest and up front about what she is doing with this money if she is asking for public support. Obviously, everyone has a right to privacy and in a perfect world nobody's private lives would be exposed unwillingly. She chose to be out in the public eye, and people are naturally going to be curious about everything. She has offered up very little concrete information about the legitimacy of it all. If she really needed money to save her life she could have given us lots of facts without compromising her personal information, and these other questions probably wouldn't have even be asked.

As far as her comment about losing someone who was outed...Well, I feel that is as much an internal problem with that person as it was an external issue. No one should be ashamed of who they are or made to be ashamed of who they are in most circumstances.

Also, her case could have been put back up for a number of reasons. It could have been as simple as the way that her donation was worded or that the company was afraid of legal problems arising from them denying her access to the site.

During the first few days of taking to Indiegogo, the crowdfunding campaign was taken down while staff investigated its legitimacy, and republished the campaign a few days later after.

An Indiegogo spokesperson told Develop: “This campaign was frozen temporarily while under review, but reinstated as soon as its legitimacy was verified. Indiegogo's proprietary trust and security algorithms, and our community of credible, conscious participants help to make Indiegogo the world’s largest, most trusted global crowdfunding platform.”

http://www.develop-online.net/news/43762/Livesaving-crowdfunding-campaign-begins-for-indie-dev?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+developmag%2Fifbh+%28Develop%29

Edit: @adieu

You have literally no grounds to assume that this woman is trans except for a) the fact that, in your opinion, she looks too masculine and b) that she's asking for money.

I'm not saying you claimed it's bad that she may be trans. What I'm saying is, it's a stupid assumption to make full stop. Based on one photograph? Get real. And it's even more stupid to turn that assumption into a potential motive for fraud or deception. You're speculating, plain and simple.

Like I said - I don't think the story adds up either. But I think you're reaching for a motive based on little more than a photograph and your own prejudices about what a woman should look like.

Actually, Lain I've used a lot of different information which I've outlined in all my posts in this thread. Not just her appearance. I also wasn't really commenting on it full stop. Half of my posts are in response to things other people have said, and due to the closed-minded nature and inability of others on this forum, once you make one comment you have to spend 5 pages defending your entire worldview. I was also touching on other aspects of this that seemed odd. Once again I didn't use just one photograph. I analyzed lots of other information that I've outlined in this thread. You can call my speculation stupid if you want, but I think it is perfectly valid. Just as I think your trusting her without question is valid, and I respect your right to decide that without being personally attacked.

I've also stated numerous times that I was speculating, but thank you for telling me that I'm speculating. I'm not being prejudice. Please don't accuse me of prejudice it is extremely offensive. My speculation is based on much more than outward appearance. I've stated this numerous times. It is a collection of things.

Oh and by the way,

"To be embarrassed about your own identity is your problem not anyone else's. So to say that someone holds responsibility for ruining your life, because they shed light on who you truly are is really to confess that you are ashamed of yourself."

It's not about being embarrassed you idiot, it's about being safe. Check out the violent crime statistics for transwomen.

Seriously this is probably the dumbest, most ignorant comment I've seen on this board outside of a compson post for weeks. As if trans people can just walk out of the closet into a world that's accepting, tolerant and non-violent. Flol.

Sure, the violence factor is a good point, but I wasn't really talking about violence. I was talking more about people doing things like taking their own lives.

Does it make you feel like a man to be such an asshole?

During the first few days of taking to Indiegogo, the crowdfunding campaign was taken down while staff investigated its legitimacy, and republished the campaign a few days later after.

An Indiegogo spokesperson told Develop: “This campaign was frozen temporarily while under review, but reinstated as soon as its legitimacy was verified. Indiegogo's proprietary trust and security algorithms, and our community of credible, conscious participants help to make Indiegogo the world’s largest, most trusted global crowdfunding platform.”

http://www.develop-online.net/news/43762/Livesaving-crowdfunding-campaign-begins-for-indie-dev?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+developmag%2Fifbh+%28Develop%29

I realize that they decided this was legitimate enough, but it reeks of illegitimacy.

Oh and by the way,

Sure, the violence factor is a good point, but I wasn't really talking about violence. I was talking more about people doing things like taking their own lives.

Does it make you feel like a man to be such an asshole?

You seem ignorant or oblivious and naive or something based on some of the tremendously horrid statements you've made. I think when it comes to those statements that Iain C has every right to "be such an asshole" regardless of his masculinity.

Guest Gary C

Agreed that the element of her sexuality is completely worthless at this point. But if it ever turns out that this fund is bogus, then perhaps the re-appropriation of funds could be an issue.

The only people who would have a right to care would be those who donated. As obviously if it doesn't get spent on the surgery she stated then they've been swindled.

I am almost ashamed to admit, though, that my very first thought when I watched the video and heard her voice was that she was transgender. Just internet-mindset, I guess.

But then, anyway, why should it matter? Should transgender have to make mention of their sexuality before telling you about something completely unrelated? It doesn't matter.

The story is fishy enough for me to call bullshit.

Archived