IGNORED

Girl trying to get her surgery funded

Squee

This is so fucking sad.

Here is my situation,

A few years ago I was involved in a near fatal car accident. The doctors patched me up and I thankfully survived.

However, several months ago, an object turned up on an x ray. The identity of the object is unknown, the only certainty is that the object is metallic, and it presumably was missed or left during the removal of the other foreign objects. Since the object is metallic, it is causing me to suffer from Metal Poisoning, a particularly nasty thing to get, as it makes me prone to illness, weakness, involuntary twitching, etc. I'm also more than likely going to suffer permanent brain damage (if I haven't already) if the object is not removed. Eventually it will kill me; at this point in time, my doctor gave me a few years before I had to remove the object.

You can read the rest of the story here.

But this is what I love about the internet: people coming together and helping people in need. So far she has raised around $20.000 and she needs $35.000 and she has 33 days left to raise all the money she needs.

So I would encourage everyone here to donate her some money and quite possibly save her life.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

America-united-states-of-america-868291_

"I was not prepared for the court case, and I lost miserably. The fact that without the procedure I would die was considered inadequate. Since it was apparent that my insurance was not going to help, it was then that I went for malpractice. The same story, I was not prepared. The strategy of claiming "How else would it have gotten there?" was no match for the hospital's lawyering hocus pocus. I shopped around at several different hospitals, seeing if there was one willing to do the operation and I pay it afterwords, but as the Insurance stated, the cost is too high, and it's a low probability of survival. I also attempted countless medical loans, but my credit is in the 'why did you bother filling this out?' range."

also:

"UPDATE: I called and talked with my mother the other day. It started as me breaking the news about all of this, pleading for her help, to her telling me I'm a disappointment, and that all my problems were my fault or in my head, because of my 'lifestyle choice'. I screamed at her and that was that."

LOL

Guest Aserinsky

Donated. I can't believe how many people in her life (insurance companies, parents etc.) lack the basic compassion to help our out in such a situation.

Guest isaki

her voice! what a shame... I wonder how many people around the world are in her situation with eithee no internet access or the courage to start a fundraiser

I call bullshit.

That's what I was afraid everyone was going to say.

During the first few days of taking to Indiegogo, the crowdfunding campaign was taken down while staff investigated its legitimacy, and republished the campaign a few days later after.

An Indiegogo spokesperson told Develop: “This campaign was frozen temporarily while under review, but reinstated as soon as its legitimacy was verified.”

http://www.develop-online.net/news/43762/Livesaving-crowdfunding-campaign-begins-for-indie-dev?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+developmag%2Fifbh+%28Develop%29

there are free clinics out there that can provide her services, there are lots of surgeons that take on cases for free (yes, they can do this, much to the chagrin of many hospitals). i don't think it's as simple as her not having the money for the surgery. maybe the shrapnel really is in a super risky place and nobody wants to do the surgery because of this. maybe her chances are pretty much zero with the surgery (like, if it's close to her heart, a major artery or vein, her brainstem, etc). she has medical insurance. why will they not pay for the procedure? she just says they don't want to, she doesn't say why, which i think is a pretty important detail.

it sucks that she's in school full-time and working full-time. i know that doesn't leave much time for looking around for medical treatment. but... maybe she should take a semester off from school? why doesn't she hire a lawyer if she has been getting screwed in court cases so much? lots of universities provide free legal services for students.

i dunno, i am just very skeptical of people begging for money on the internet. i'm skeptical of her being a strong independent female indie game developer with fundamentalist christian parents who hate her for her lifestyle. i know that shit does happen, but it seems like the perfect story for places like reddit and tumblr to lap up. on the other hand, she might just be in severe denial of her chances with this surgery and making a last ditch effort to survive. even when people are told their odds of survival are like 1% with a surgery, lots of folks will still like those odds compared to 100% death in a couple of months.

one other thing and i hope this doesn't come across as insensitive, but if i was dying and my parents had the means to get me life saving surgery, but they hated me for being gay, i would lie. i would just lie my pants off. i would be like "yeah, i repent my sins, pls halp." i don't presume to understand the relationship between this girl and her parents, but i don't think there's anything wrong with manipulating irrational people to get them to save your life. being a liar is better than being dead.

Guest zaphod

yeah i'm honestly skeptical of aspects of her story. seems tailor made to appeal to reddit, hits every sympathy sweet spot.

Its sad that we live in a world where we can't trust anyone and we are constantly paranoid people are trying to scam us. I dont trust her either, her situation is probably true but i just cant trust anyone, this world is full of scam artists and deceivers and liars. Good luck to her if her situation is true.

Guest Pennywise

I donated. I didn't want to be a guy who didn't trust it and find out later that it was true. Maybe she should just provide more proof.

It's all made me feel a bit depressed actually, depressing if it is a scam, depressing if its not, depressing that people have such little trust. Weird that you end up hoping that it is real, despite the fact that she could die, wtf.

Guest Pennywise

I thought I was the only one who thought she might be a guy, others on reddit think so too. Very masculine face imo.

so, apparently the campaign was up at least 19 days ago according to this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1akyhh/indie_game_dev_chloe_sagal_developer_of_homesick/

i wonder why she took it down and then put it back up?

guys, this smells so hardcore of scam. please don't waste your money, especially because flexible funding = no refunds.

also, the goal on the original kickstarter was $50k, but on the original one she said she needed $27k for the surgery. in the new one, she needs $29,700 for the surgery and the goal is $35k. idkwtf to make of all this.

Guest zaphod

yeah this is nonsense. there isn't a lawyer in the united states who wouldn't come to her aid for a malpractice suit if a surgeon "left something" inside her. you can't be this vague if you're dying.

so, apparently the campaign was up at least 19 days ago according to this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1akyhh/indie_game_dev_chloe_sagal_developer_of_homesick/

i wonder why she took it down and then put it back up?

guys, this smells so hardcore of scam. please don't waste your money, especially because flexible funding = no refunds.

it was taken down by indiegogo and then restored 6 days after clarifications according to the updates on the page.

it was restorted after all the noise on reddit page so i'd bet it's legit.

Guest Iain C

I don't know how it is in the US but here (and in Turkey) it's pretty easy to get copies of your Xrays. I posted mine from this week to WATMM. You do have to wonder why there's literally no medical documentation whatsoever forthcoming.

also, the goal on the original kickstarter was $50k, but on the original one she said she needed $27k for the surgery. in the new one, she needs $29,700 for the surgery and the goal is $35k. idkwtf to make of all this.

While shopping around for different doctors, I found one who was willing to cut the cost of the operation, he is very nice and I trust him to perform the operation successfully. His quote for the surgery was $29,700, though I am going to increase the asking amount of the donations to $35,000, for indiegogo fees, just in case, and to help keep me afloat during recovery. The recovery (which involves getting the remaining poisons out of my system) is estimated to take 2-3 months for me to be in the clear, and at this point it is uncertain as to any other long term or permanent effects I will have to endure.

On a side note, there is a second surgery that I am seeking to get caused by the accident, however, it is not vital to my survival, but it is vital to myself being able to live a normal life. I have not picked a surgeon for this operation, though I've received estimates upwards of $25,000.

In the off chance I receive more than the intended amount, or I receive enough for both procedures, I will donate all remaining funds to another charity (I'm not sure of which at this point, not exactly my highest priority, but if you've got any ideas, feel free to send me a message)

- She does seem a little masculine though. I agree that pictures should be posted of the xray or more details should be shared. Additional surgery? Drop your pride and be honest about what ails you if you want thousands of dollar given to you. I would not donate money to someone being so vague.

Archived