IGNORED

I need a free sample editing program

Adieu

I've been using a samples more often recently. I need something I can use to cut and edit, but most importantly, I need to be able take individual sounds out of a .wav, and also be able to accurately isolate different parts of samples.

I need it free. Times are tough.

Any suggestions?

You're asking me like I know...I'll give it a whirl though. I downloaded it the other day when I was trying to rip some samples, but I ended up not needing to install it.

Cool, I'll fool around with them this evening. I'm mostly concerned with taking unnecessary sounds out of sampled drum beats, but I also want to cut up individual drum hits and build custom drum kits with it. Oh, and cleaning up some vocal samples as well.

whoa...goldwave is free?! cool beans.

Wavosaur is a good audacity alternative I've seen recommended here and elsewhere. Are you doing vocal isolation? The inverse trick involving a regular track - instrumental track to make an acappella vocal works well in audacity and surely in other programs.

No idea on free programs that do more specific isolation...

Guest RadarJammer

goldwave isn't quite free, you get something like 1000 actions before the demo runs out and then you can reset the counter by just uninstalling/reinstalling last time i checked. theres no limitations beyond that though.

goldwave isn't quite free, you get something like 1000 actions before the demo runs out and then you can reset the counter by just uninstalling/reinstalling last time i checked. theres no limitations beyond that though.

oh ok, that's still less restrictive than I previously thought though...

Audacity or Wavosaur is definitely what you want. Look like crap proper-old-skool UI but are free and work like a charm!

I actually find Reaper (free to use with a nagscreen/$60 without) really good for manipulating samples too

Speaking of audacity, which I have probably played around with a lot, can someone give me some substantive reasons why it's not recommended or discouraged from used? I like it a lot but I've seen other programs recommended instead.

I haven't seen any reason cited beyond, say old Cooledit versions being a better time-stretching. Just curious.

Speaking of audacity, which I have probably played around with a lot, can someone give me some substantive reasons why it's not recommended or discouraged from used? I like it a lot but I've seen other programs recommended instead.

I haven't seen any reason cited beyond, say old Cooledit versions being a better time-stretching. Just curious.

I've found it incredibly crash prone, at least when I had tried using it. As such, I don't touch it at all.

it's amazing what a damned desert this area of software it really. Audacity is at the top of the stack, and IMO that thing's a pile of shit.

Did you know: Audacity keep keyboard focus on the editor when a save dialog is open, meaning that as you type, you are also triggering keyboard commands!

KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE.

it's amazing what a damned desert this area of software it really. Audacity is at the top of the stack, and IMO that thing's a pile of shit.

Did you know: Audacity keep keyboard focus on the editor when a save dialog is open, meaning that as you type, you are also triggering keyboard commands!

KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE.

LOL

lol

I've found it incredibly crash prone, at least when I had tried using it. As such, I don't touch it at all.

Gotcha. I've never had that problem but then again I don't use for much besides editing audio rips or combining multiple audio tracks. I don't think it supports AISO as well. I've found myself using it less now anyway once I got Ableton anyway.

Does anyway use wavosaur or goldwave for digitizing vinyl? The one thing I was still using for lately. That and .wav to LAME .mp3 transfers.

Hmmm...good advice. Thanks guys.

I also was attempting to rip audio using my Scarlett 2i4 and I wasn't getting anything but heavy noise.

I plugged my line outputs directly into my inputs and got nothing even though Reason seemed to be detecting a signal. I'm not sure if I wasn't routing properly via the software, but I think it was correct. I've recorded using a mic and I don't see how the process would differ that greatly. One person was telling me the companies have made it harder to do because of pressure from media companies. Am I missing something here?

Any thoughts?

Wait, what? What are you trying to rip from, is it a separate bit of audio equipment - I think most people here (including myself) were thinking you already had the sample and wanted to chop it up.

I have an 8i6 which is basically the same as yours but with more i/i ports and don't get any noise from the line in sockets on the back.

My problem with Audacity is not that it was crashing too much i just found the interface had a far worse and less intuitive design than something like Soundforge or Cooledit/Audition. Both of those program also have a wonderful set of very bendable and high quality proprietary plugins. Also Audacity is not a single track wave editor, you can use it like one but it doesn't have a different view for single track VS multitrack. This is why i like cooledit so much, there is a distinct different when you use the program to edit a single wave file (editor mode) vs trying to layer sounds on top of eachother (multitrack mode)

The only reason i can see to use Audacity is because it's free. Now that audition exists for OSX, Peak isn't the best commercial wave editor for mac anymore. If you're on a Windows system and not opposed to pirating I'd try out Audition 3.0 or Soundforge. Goldwave is good too, haven't used it much to speak on it. Fred McGriff is the goldwave master though, maybe he'll pop into the thread.

Yes, but also when I am wanting to rip things like youtube videos directly into Reason, and I thought I could just route my cables on my A/I, but it wasn't working.

My problem with Audacity is not that it was crashing too much i just found the interface had a far worse and less intuitive design than something like Soundforge or Cooledit/Audition. Both of those program also have a wonderful set of very bendable and high quality proprietary plugins. Also Audacity is not a single track wave editor, you can use it like one but it doesn't have a different view for single track VS multitrack. This is why i like cooledit so much, there is a distinct different when you use the program to edit a single wave file (editor mode) vs trying to layer sounds on top of eachother (multitrack mode)

The only reason i can see to use Audacity is because it's free. Now that audition exists for OSX, Peak isn't the best commercial wave editor for mac anymore. If you're on a Windows system and not opposed to pirating I'd try out Audition 3.0 or Soundforge. Goldwave is good too, haven't used it much to speak on it. Fred McGriff is the goldwave master though, maybe he'll pop into the thread.

If I'm pirating why not just get Recycle?

Yes, but also when I am wanting to rip things like youtube videos directly into Reason, and I thought I could just route my cables on my A/I, but it wasn't working.

Ahh, in that case you don't need to do that at all with any cables as the MixControl software allows internal routing:

• In Saffire MixControl, set Loop back 1 to DAW 1 and Loop back 2 to DAW 2

• Now, you need to use recording software that supports ASIO drivers. Not sure if Audacity does, I've always used Reaper to do this

• Once you have your ASIO-enabled software, set the inputs on your recording track to inputs 15 & 16, representing the loopback inputs.

• Before you record arm the track, make sure you mute the track first to avoid a feedback loop.

• If you'd still like to monitor the track you're recording to, select Ultra Low Latency Tracking (Zero Latency Tracking) from the Routing Preset menu in Saffire MixControl.

Very informative, clears up a lot.

I use Audacity sometimes for making mixes with existing audio files as well as recording a cassette from a digital playlist using multiple audio tracks and it seems adequate for that. As for single .wav edits I'll probably be giving Wavosaur and Goldwave a shot, they seem perfect for non-destructive editing and wavosaur hosts VSTs.

Archived