IGNORED

Squarepusher - Charles Hazlewood - Southbank Sinfonia

Guest teetime

Guest teetime

At last. It was about time!

Saturday 15 June 2013, 7:30pm

LISTEN TO THIS

Squarepusher - Charles Hazlewood - Southbank Sinfonia

On Saturday 15 June 2013, 7:30pm at Fairfield Halls in Croydon, a unique musical collaboration will present a single performance of a new piece of music called 'Listen To This'. Charles Hazlewood has brought together electronic artist, Tom Jenkinson, aka Squarepusher and the Southbank to create a thrilling musical hybrid that will create a unique moment in music history. http://www.fairfield.co.uk/showChoosearea.php?showid=23009

Guest teetime
Charles Hazlewood explains the starting point for Listen To This…”The idea for it began

about seven or eight years ago when I did the Urban Classics project which was a

determined attempt to find common ground between the gritty form of British Hip Hop

known as ‘Grime’ and an orchestra. For years I’ve been exploring music at the

hinterland of what might be described as the orchestral canon and at the same time

railing against some of the previous, rather saccharine, attempts at so called ‘fusion’. It

always seemed to me that there was another way which would be born out of rigour, out

of brave determination to find a new hybrid that might celebrate the essence of, in that

case, what Grime was and what an orchestra can do.

Running parallel to this, Tom Jenkinson

(Squarepusher), is someone I admire

enormously and with whom I have very intense

and very long conversations about music. We

have an enormous amount of passions in

common: about the visceral power of music,

about the power of music to change lives and

the fact that it’s the most universal language

that we have, beyond any dialect or tongue.

We began to see that there was a clear vision

that there must be interesting and really fertile

common ground to be explored between his

form of very high octane electronic dance

music and the potential of an orchestra. That

was the starting point and it took us a long

time to get to the position where we are now.

An overarching ambition for the whole project is that a multitude of people who love

music but who perhaps have never encountered an orchestra before will have their first

experience of the visceral charge of a full orchestra as part of this experience. Hopefully,

they will then begin a journey which will grow over time and see them coming back over

time to try out other things.”

Guest teetime

Classical composers have often drawn upon popular dance forms of the day: Bach in his dance suites, Beethoven in all his symphonies. Southbank Sinfonia takes this tradition strikingly into the 21st century as we collaborate with the hugely popular electronic dance artist Squarepusher aka Tom Jenkinson. Conducted by the irrepressible Charles Hazlewood, this performance brings to life Squarepusher’s cult album Ufabulum with all the colour and power of an orchestra.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest teetime

Tom, what can the audience expect from Listen To This’?

T.J: What we’re looking to do is to extrapolate out from the original material whilst staying harmonically pretty close to it, expanding out the sonic palette, so I suppose in some way it’s a revision of the aesthetics of the set of compositions and looking at ways of how to recreate some of the entirely digitally created sounds, sounds which have absolutely no history within the analogue or music performance domain – sounds with no trace of human hands so-to-speak.

It’s not just an academic exercise in sonic extrapolations; we are very much trying to stick to the melodic and harmonic core of the album. There will be elements of electronic performance which I will be doing myself alongside the performance by the orchestral musicians.

Read more: http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/summer-make-sure-Listen/story-19147455-detail/story.html#ixzz2UurzId4D

Follow us: @thisiscroydon on Twitter | thisiscroydontoday on Facebook

Guest teetime

+ a new bass composition!

._SQUAREPUSHER will be giving us a bass solo on June 15th as part of #listentothis

• 2 weeks later...
Guest teetime

Wasn't there a radio interview with TJ during the London Sionfonettea project where he basically said "whats the point" in referring to them covering a track?

Yes! ^^ But now he is providing the rythmic elements. A electronic classic sort of "hybrid".

Fuck it. He is loosing it :cat: .

Seriously Toms attitude towards collaborating has changed over the past few years. In a long term it is for the better in my humble opinion. This may set the starting point for a orchestrated album.

Archived