IGNORED

IRCAM software .... ........... .. holy shit?!?

For idiots like me that despite having bought Max four years ago still can't make head nor tail of what they're doing, there's an Ircam max4live collection for Ableton with ModalysSynth and ModalysFilter (as well as other Ircam stuff) for around the same price (EDIT: currently slightly cheaper due to the XMas sale) and a little easier to play with: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/ircamax-2/

I was talking to some friends about programs like this. I think physically modeled virtual sounds could honestly be the future of IDM and in an even further future, electronic music in general. I know people say the same thing every time something like this rolls around, but I have my reasons. Just to clarify, I'm not talking abour VR and cheesy virtual DAWs, that shit is just gimmicky and cumbersome.

How much time to people spend trying to create intricate and realistic sound design that could be done faster and easier with a program like this? Will people jump on it immediately? No. But once it's easy (think the simplicity of apple products UI) and accesible enough, it can easily become insanely popular. I've watched the sound design in popular EDM become increasingly sophisticated in recent years and it's becoming just as important to big producers as the music itself. Spatially arranging the music in a pleasing way has always been important to producers and it's becoming ever more important now. Give them a simpler, better-sounding way and it can take off.

The experimental potential of these types of programs - especially as they become more powerful - is huge, think: Once you can put multiple high-resolution "instruments" in a virtual physical "space" (and have the option to move them about as they're playing, for instance: imagine a crash cymbal whizzing around your head complete with a Doppler effect) and play them, you will have such a wide range of unique options for timbre and sound design that it just seems like the next logical frontier for experimental music. It may take a while to catch on, but now is the time to experiment and pioneer that shit because it has so much potential.

This is a good example of what I'm talking about, I may have misinterpreted the OP.

The part near the middle of the video is just what I imagined. The idea of a room being able to change size and therefore reverb in real time has the potential to be a game changer if used compositionally.

Of course all of this stuff is in its infancy to say the least, but with VR creeping into culture the way it has in the last few years, I'd say this approach of composition is well on its way to becoming mainstream in say, 20-30 years.

• 2 years later...
On 12/11/2017 at 12:56 AM, Mesh Gear Fox said:

yes i can imagine a possible future where vr and music making production software is virtually one and the same. this would be particularly exciting for physical modelling stuff, and it seems like this is what it's hinting towards. 

Jaron Lanier was doing it in the 80s.

On 12/10/2017 at 3:06 PM, mcbpete said:

For idiots like me that despite having bought Max four years ago still can't make head nor tail of what they're doing, there's an Ircam max4live collection for Ableton with ModalysSynth and ModalysFilter (as well as other Ircam stuff) for around the same price (EDIT: currently slightly cheaper due to the XMas sale) and a little easier to play with: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/ircamax-2/

Two years later and I've still not tried this - Good use of your money Pete ...

2 hours ago, Mesh Gear Fox said:

probably wouldn't be able to do anything too advanced in real time with the technology back then though.

Would have thought it was hard to say since all we have is descriptions, but apparently he demoed it at Moogfest 2016:

Not bad for '87.  The VR system was just doing generative MIDI, though, all of the synthesis was done in hardware.

EDIT:  there's some old footage of it at around 10:45 in this early 90s VR documentary, too:

Archived