IGNORED

Cold Earth

Terpentintollwut

From the Interview:

"We'll go to great lengths to get hold of a specific instrument just to get a particular sound. For example, there's a sound in Cold Earth that is something like only one second of audio. It comes from an obscure old effect unit that cost us a lot of time and road miles to source, and it ended up being one second of audio on the record."

I've been wondering what this old effect unit could have been and what sound in particular he's talking about. I'm assuming it's the odd echo-effect on the voice snippets, but these add up to much more than a second of audio...

I got about zero knowledge of synths in general, but it's still interesting. What makes this effect so special?

Sorry that this has nothing to do with your question, but better to ask this in a thread for Cold Earth than anywhere else/new thread:

I've seen in a few places mention of Cold Earth having a voice sample saying "you're too old".

I can't hear it. I hear plenty of vocal snippets, but nothing that sounds like a phrase.

Has anyone heard it? And can you give me a time stamp for when the phrase comes in?

if that's true (about them being some old equipment just to use 1 second of sound from it) then it actually makes them seem kinda douchey- especially when they don't identify the sound or the instrument. it kinda reminds me of when big kids feed younger kids these really fantastically awesome stories to maintain their charisma and charm about being older and cooler and the kids turn to their parents wide eyed in awe and say "did you hear that dad? isn't that amazing?" and the parents just nod approvingly not wanting to shatter their innocence with cold hard truth of disappointment.

btw: is that quote from this interview?

U0Ez7sY.jpg

if that's true (about them being some old equipment just to use 1 second of sound from it) then it actually makes them seem kinda douchey- especially when they don't identify the sound or the instrument. it kinda reminds me of when big kids feed younger kids these really fantastically awesome stories to maintain their charisma and charm about being older and cooler and the kids turn to their parents wide eyed in awe and say "did you hear that dad? isn't that amazing?" and the parents just nod approvingly not wanting to shatter their innocence with cold hard truth of disappointment.

btw: is that quote from this interview?

U0Ez7sY.jpg

After a quick read, I can't say I can find it. I do see the brother mentioning one of the tracks on TH is an old track from their early days. It was mentioned as some sort of cliffhanger, obviously. I mean, you don't expect them to tell which one, right?

It's from this interview (The Guardian)

I don't think it makes them seem douche-y, but I think it makes them seem nerdy (in a sympathetic kind of way)! - He said it "ended up" being just a second on the record, it doesn't sound like they bought it with that intention ... rather like they tracked it down to play with it, then realized it had no real place on the record but included it just for the sake of it, or cause they couldn't let it go ... which is a kind of familiar procedure for me ... :emb:

I'll continue assuming it's that echo-effect on the voice bits, it would make sense ... still, it'd be interesting if someone could identify it.

Ah, that makes even more sense, thanks. I was aware of that noise being there, but honestly, it didn't stick out as something that couldn't have been achieved another way... not to a hardware-noob anyway. Still a fun story!

I did some more research and found out there's another way to create this exact sound if you put a bunch of bumblebees in a plastic bottle and shake really hard for a second.

pls upload howto video to youtube.

Archived