IGNORED

BSOD every time i open Photoshop

keltoi

my work pc dies every time i open photoshop... blue screen comes up with various warnings, mostly "BAD POOL HEADER". it started happening about 1 month ago and only happens with Pshop.

it's been suggested that there's an issue with memory but as far as diagnostic check suggests eveything is working ok. i've cleared temp files, defragged and disk clean-upped.

it's a 2 yr old HP touchsmart610 with 2gigs RAM.

any ideas what could be going wrong before i get some over-priced IT guy in?

What happened about a month ago in terms of software installation/driver changes? Maybe run a system restore back to when all was well.

Edit - have you tried just reinstalling it?

What happened about a month ago in terms of software installation/driver changes? Maybe run a system restore back to when all was well.

Edit - have you tried just reinstalling it?

first BSOD happened after i loaded old cad software to look at some archived drawings. i un-installed this software, but it kept happening afterwards.

i've done a system restore to the day before loading the cad software, i've uninstalled/reinstalled pshop and i've ran anti-virus and malware checks.

sounds like a memory or hard drive error :(

like irrepairable error?

sounds like a memory or hard drive error :(

i agree, and i know this is tough but it's definitiley time to format the floppy drive.

You can check for faulty ram with this - http://www.memtest86.com/

And your hard drive by running a surface scan. Best way to do that is Start -> Run -> Cmd

and on the command prompt type: chkdsk C: /f /r

It'll ask you if you want to run a scan on restart so just type 'y' and reboot.

And your hard drive by running a surface scan. Best way to do that is Start -> Run -> Cmd

and on the command prompt type: chkdsk C: /f /r

It'll ask you if you want to run a scan on restart so just type 'y' and reboot.

oh shit, i do not have permissions, have to run in "elevated mode?"

try: start > cmd

sfc /scannow

installing older software may have overwritten a system library or something - that said a system restore should have fixed it

try rehashing your vista i/o's

but srsly, see what kind of errors (if any) are you getting in event viewer. nasty hdd errors will usually show up there even without scandisk.

Check your event viewer for any sort of disk errors. If you go to system logs and filter it so only critical errors show.

You can check the application error logs too, see if they have any extra information.

If windows 7 right click Computer from start menu, and select manage

Expand Event Viewer on the left

Expand Windows Logs

Select System

On the right select "Filter Current Log"

Check "Error" and "Critical"

Scroll down and if you see any disk or NTFS errors, more than likely you have a bad hard drive.

Check your event viewer for any sort of disk errors. If you go to system logs and filter it so only critical errors show.

You can check the application error logs too, see if they have any extra information.

If windows 7 right click Computer from start menu, and select manage

Expand Event Viewer on the left

Expand Windows Logs

Select System

On the right select "Filter Current Log"

Check "Error" and "Critical"

Scroll down and if you see any disk or NTFS errors, more than likely you have a bad hard drive.

thanks, i need this kind of idiot-proof step by step. here's a part of the log, the critical errors seem to correspond with the BSOD's and go back to June and mostly say "user-mode driver problems"...

Error 08/08/2013 09:25:06 BugCheck 1001 None
Error 08/08/2013 09:25:06 BugCheck 1005 None
Critical 08/08/2013 09:24:02 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Error 07/08/2013 17:32:30 Service Control Manager 7006 None
Error 06/08/2013 17:33:35 Service Control Manager 7006 None
Error 06/08/2013 17:33:24 WindowsUpdateClient 20 Windows Update Agent
Error 06/08/2013 17:33:16 DistributedCOM 10010 None
Error 06/08/2013 12:22:09 BugCheck 1001 None
Error 06/08/2013 12:22:08 Service Control Manager 7006 None
Critical 06/08/2013 12:21:33 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 06/08/2013 12:17:25 DriverFrameworks-UserMode 10111 User-mode Driver problems.
Critical 06/08/2013 12:17:25 DriverFrameworks-UserMode 10110 User-mode Driver problems.

sfc /scannow

installing older software may have overwritten a system library or something - that said a system restore should have fixed it

i don't have permissions to do this.

maybe i'll try a system restore further back. that log goffer found for me suggests the issues go further back than i thought.

sfc /scannow

when you type in "cmd" in that search field it should give you a list of programs and files somehow related to what you typed, the first in that list should be cmd.exe, right click on it and choose "run as administrator" and then try running the sfc thing.

sfc /scannow

when you type in "cmd" in that search field it should give you a list of programs and files somehow related to what you typed, the first in that list should be cmd.exe, right click on it and choose "run as administrator" and then try running the sfc thing.

done... it says "found no integrity violations".

tbh reinstalling windows and all the needed software may take less time than finding the actual problem, you probably have a recovery partition if it's a legit hp desktop that'll streamline the process. you'll just have to back up some stuff before doing it.

Archived