IGNORED

2 TRAK WAV EDITOR CRISIS

ascdi

You guys (and gals), is it just me, or are there PRECIOUS FEW applications on the market that are solid, professional-grade "2-track" audio file editors?

By "2-track" I mean it edits a single stereo file in a destructive way, like Cool Edit or Peak. I used to have a blast in Cool Edit but I'm on a Mac now and don't want to give money to Adobe.

What's a fella to do? I have never liked Audacity at all, but I suppose that's one way to go. In addition, the Mac has a few other kinda "prosumer" style low-cost apps in this ballpark, like Fission or Wave Editor (or whatever the Audiofile Engineering one is called), but those don't seem to be good enough to me.

I need to be able to zoom to the sample level, make precise cuts, set the grid to BPM (not just seconds) and ideally apply effects. Is there ANY modern application that is still maintained that is good at this?

Even Digital Performer has a built-in rudimentary wave editor, which was one of my favorite features of the app back when I used it. Still, I dunno if I want to splash out to upgrade DP just because of the 2-track. What am I missing here?

Sincerely,

Your pal,

Pete Ascdi

I really like editing stereo wavs in Cubase, quick zoom in/out with the mouse, shortcuts to choose between pointer, scissors, etc, good and intuitive snap functions, etc. Not a cheap option, though.

I haven't tried Wavelab, but it might be more tailored towards your description than Cubase is?

I know this isn't the answer you want, but Pro Tools. Bias Peak is defunct, so I think it's probably fine if you find download an old copy of it somewhere. I still use it once in a while for its stereo-to-mono feature.

Missing out on a really solid (modern day) wave editor too: Stuck with Cool Edit until Win8.1 stopped playing ball with it, and 'upgraded' to Adobe Audition 1.5 which seems to work fine. Tried Audacity but nah, it's no for me. There's iZotope's RX3 which seems pretty good but I think it's probably overkill for most people's needs !

Archived