IGNORED

Selected Ambient Works II revisited

Bertolt Brechtakt

Celebrating the 20th anniversary of Selected Ambient Works II, I revisited the seminal 2nd album by Aphex Twin. Talking about Aphex' way of transcending genres and of being a real diehard.

Enjoy. :rhubear1:

http://www.hhv-mag.com/de/feature/6921/records-revisited-aphex-twin-s-selected-ambient-works-ii-1994

well you might think so...but I guess its just that, you know, for me there letting things fly through the room and swinging them...for me its two different things

Guest jasondonervan

On a related note, I had these arrive today... just a couple of additions to the 'phex collection. Note the tracknames in the SAW II booklet.

imX1Kcin5lBC.JPG

ixln6Mq2pdani.JPG

it6cmHPaeBw6v.JPG

iJCRtvi87cqRL.JPG

Interesting! Is that CD from 1994 or is it a rerelease? Those tracknames are always deemed unofficial (made-up by head honchos of the IDM mailing list), so if it's a rerelease it would make more sense then if it was the original Japanese CD version. Strange anyway, they probably didn't bother to ask Warp about it before pressing these. Thanks for posting!

Guest jasondonervan

1999 re-release (every obi lists the release date), but it's the only domestic Japanese print.

Edit: Now I realise it, both SAW II and the original Japanese Windowlicker EP print were released on the same day in Japan, neat.

Guest bitroast

1999 re-release (every obi lists the release date), but it's the only domestic Japanese print.

Edit: Now I realise it, both SAW II and the original Japanese Windowlicker EP print were released on the same day in Japan, neat.

The pink tray/CD seems to match the windowlicker cd more than saw2 original cd.

On a related note, I had these arrive today... just a couple of additions to the 'phex collection. Note the tracknames in the SAW II booklet.

Lovely, congratulations to the purchase :)

And a nice coincidence too.

For me it's also a great coincidence that we released the Records Revisited article just before the Syro release. When we decided on SAW II, we didn't know anything about a new Aphex record being imminent.

Really love those coincidences.

• 2 months later...
Guest RupturedSouls

I re-listened to SAWII last night, absolutely beautiful. Afterwards though, i stuck on the "Original Mix" of track 2 found on 26 Mixes For Cash.
Blew my freakin mind as much as when i first heard it!!!
then i remembered the rumours around 2006ish that SAWII Originally had beats, but they were taken out to make it a proper ambient album (Unlike SAW1).
I listened to SAWII again today, imagining what the tracks could have sounded like... wow.
Can't help but pine for more "Original Mixes" with beats and harsh bits leaking out in the future. Who knows.
To me, SAWII is beautiful, but IF the Original Mixes theory is true, it could have sounded more like SAW1 or ICBYD. And that would have been the tits.

Flip that around, and take the 'agro' out of ICBYD, and you could have had another SAW, haha.

Can anyone shed some light on the Original Mix, and if its an original mix, or remix? What are WATMMs thoughts on this?

Sein Garn dürfte jedem Fischer ein Leben lang gereichen.

nicely put. isn't watmm a merry gang of fishermen these last months?

good article btw. i like it.

strange concept though, hhv. never heard of it before.

Archived