IGNORED

Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

Herr Jan

Completely forgot to make a thread about this when this came out, well deserved though!

So, uncle Theo released a new full length in 2014 on 3LP and 2CD. It caused some controversy because of the high retail price included for these physical versions (around €50,- for the 3LP & €35,- for the 2CD), which is why I still hadn't checked it out.

Today Bleep announced that he has released digital versions of the album, so I'm glad to have finally grabbed the mp3's.

55707.jpg

Basically it is his usual organic sounding deep house with very, very subtle touches of jazz, funk and... footwork. You can check the album out in its entirety here:

http://youtu.be/riLvXufN8_c?list=PLhbtpjMHeb1qBh5VVex3p3hHEEitDSZJ2

It reminds me a lot of his gig with his band last summer at a festival, which was probably the most ecstatic gig I've ever been to.

Why is it so expensive?

Listened to the samples last night, sounds class.

Basically because he himself thought that that should be the price for this product. It helps that his releases guarantee a clear stock too (there's even already a second pressing), with his status he can get away with it. He thinks about 'art ethics / philosophy' more than anybody (just watch any interview with him) so I'm sure he thought it out very properly.

Though I really love Theo's tunes, it seems like a simple cash grab veiled by "higher ethics and deep philosophy". Jeff Mills pulled the same stunt with his atrocious Star Chronicles: Orion release a few years back

I'll get it through other means and enjoy it properly

Though I really love Theo's tunes, it seems like a simple cash grab veiled by "higher ethics and deep philosophy". Jeff Mills pulled the same stunt with his atrocious Star Chronicles: Orion release a few years back

I'll get it through other means and enjoy it properly

I do think that if anyone could ask such prices it is these two. I'm not buying though :) that's why I'm glad I just bought the mp3s for €10,- with two hours of music instead of paying at least 5 times more for half the tracks...

Why is it so expensive?

Listened to the samples last night, sounds class.

Basically because he himself thought that that should be the price for this product. It helps that his releases guarantee a clear stock too (there's even already a second pressing), with his status he can get away with it. He thinks about 'art ethics / philosophy' more than anybody (just watch any interview with him) so I'm sure he thought it out very properly.

But that would be commendable, if the digital tracks weren't so damn cheap.

Is it the music that he's valuing highly or just the piece of plastic/vinyl?

hoping this vinyl order gets in tomorrow or monday.....

Sound Signature is sheer class. And yeah its easy to salute the obvious but what superb music. Really liked these 2 in recent years.......

http://www.discogs.com/Andrew-Ashong-Flowers/master/483498

http://www.discogs.com/Theo-Parrish-STFU/master/483493........< - - - deepness!

Archived