IGNORED

RIP Gail Zappa

Rubin Farr

Oh no :( R.I.P.

I remember she wasn't loved by a lot of Zappa fans because of the strict copyright policy by the Zappa Family Trust (pulling loads of very resourceful archive footage of Zappa offline), but her work was incredible. Getting all the rights of his music back to the Zappa family for one, but, more importantly, being responsible for releasing all those fantastic post mortem albums (about 35 or more albums since 1993, lost count)

Wonder if this will impact the ZPZ tour or the release of the Roxy movie (that was FINALLY announced). Will see ZPZ in three weeks (hopefully), that'll be something special I reckon.

lol that's sad.

lol?

her work was probably the least annoyed I was ever regarding strict copyright: zappa had a whole mess of work, and curating it properly in this case far outweighs some nice footage being taken down.

RIP.

her work was probably the least annoyed I was ever regarding strict copyright

But she did refuse to ever reissue An Evening With Wild Man Fischer, tho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Evening_with_Wild_Man_Fischer

Well, Fischer threw a bottle at Gail and / or Zappa's daughter. Can't blame her :)

her work was probably the least annoyed I was ever regarding strict copyright: zappa had a whole mess of work, and curating it properly in this case far outweighs some nice footage being taken down.

RIP.

Yeah I can't really judge a family member handling this is a cautious and protective manner. Zappa himself was a stickler to copyright and publishing rights: but in the context of being a independent musician. I only get miffed when posthumous discographies are held up by big labels and non-musician song owners, or in the courtney love case where you have someone looking at archives from a marketing perspective. I don't think that's the case here.

wow. I had a friend whose father worked with Zappa later in his life on symphony arrangement stuff. He said that the two of them only met twice but that Gail always kept in contact with their family and was very nice. She hooked him up with tickets to Zappa plays Zappa for life.

rip gail

• 6 months later...

Archived