IGNORED

SoundDiver & a TG33

SmokingGnu

Hi all, recently purchased a TG33 and am interested in digging in a bit deeper with it. I've heard Sounddiver is a useful editor, both in general and for using the TG33's hidden parameters (also, MidiQuest is a bit difficult to use for patch editing.) I've found copies on ebay of Sounddiver 3.05a for Windows. If I buy that:

1. Will I need to run it in some manner of compatibility mode on Windows 10?

2. Does it come with TG33 editor functionality already, or do I need to download a separate module somewhere as you would with the instrument editors for midiquest?

Finally, and I know this is a huge shot in the dark - But apparently an SD user made a TG33 editor that can better edit the vectors and hidden parameters: http://web.archive.org/web/20080929132329/http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/tg33b.html

This looks super-cool - However, all the links are dead. Does anyone here have a copy of that that they could send my way? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It runs on windows 8.1 but the authorisation process is fucked up. No idea about win 10. You need to mount an image of the cd to make it run without waiting a few minutes for it to load.

I would be very wary of buying a pirate version of SD from eBay. It's been dropped for years now.

Due to lack of a demo version to try, maybe evaluating a 'free version' is the way forward.

Can't help with the editor but I'm curious how you get along with the TG33, I came really close to buying one two or three times a couple years ago but the prices are always $50-$100 than I felt like paying.  They sound pretty great though.

Been enjoying it so far, it's cool to see what you can get from layering the FM and AWM sounds, the 12-bit architecture gives everything a nice bit of grit and dust, and I haven't even started messing around with the vector stuff or the advanced FM stuff you can do with the hidden parameters. 

advanced FM stuff you can do with the hidden parameters. 

Wasn't even aware of this, most of what I'd read implied you couldn't do much with the FM, so I figured the FM voices were more or less the same as their 2 op consumer FM preset things but with some basic editability like amplitude envelope and pitch modulation.

• 1 year later...

Topping an old thread because now that I finally caved and got one of these I'm also after the Sounddiver editor with extended parameters. I've followed some leads on other boards but no luck so far, one or two posters on different boards have offered to share it in the last year but it's nobody has responded to PMs.  It would be great to be able to access the hidden parameters on the thing, but I don't have any 32 bit Windows systems and Plompy's SY-Edit won't install under x64.

It's a long shot but if anyone has any leads, I'm pretty much at the point where my best options are either install a virtual machine with 32 bit Windows XP just to run the Plompy editor, or do my own modification of the stock Sounddiver editor, but I'd rather not do either if I can avoid it.

Hmm, your best bet is to run a virtual XP machine and SYedit; I played with it a bit and it can access all of the hidden parameters (including changing the S&H LFO speed which is usually locked on the SY-22). It's not great to use but does the job.

The only other option I can think of is making one in max/pd or ctrlr. There's a ctrlr panel already but it doesn't look like it can control the hidden stuff.

Hmm, your best bet is to run a virtual XP machine and SYedit; I played with it a bit and it can access all of the hidden parameters (including changing the S&H LFO speed which is usually locked on the SY-22). It's not great to use but does the job.

The only other option I can think of is making one in max/pd or ctrlr. There's a ctrlr panel already but it doesn't look like it can control the hidden stuff.

Yeah, what I really need to do is put a new hard drive into my old XP tablet that I was using specifically for older synth editors until last spring, but it's a real pain in the ass to install one, not as simple as a regular laptop.

I'm still hoping to find that Sounddiver editor though, since I already have Sounddiver running on my DAW and I'd rather not install any more software on there than I absolutely have to. I virtually never use software editors, it's almost always easier to edit from the front panel for me (the only thing I semiregularly use software to edit is the Wavestation SR but even that is faster from the front panel for a lot of stuff, it's just when you get into wave sequences and things that it gets slow) so I would only be using this very occasionally to build up a library of my own FM tones so that I coud shift the overall personality of the thing more to the "weird" end of the spectrum, it's not a big hurry.

As it is, it's already probably the easiest Yamaha synth I've ever owned, maybe even easier than the 4 operator FM keyboards (and those were already easy enough that back when I picked up a DX21 in high school it was no problem to edit it in depth with no manual and no knowledge of FM, those things are really simple).  I think the only thing that gives the DX21/27 an edge on that front is that saving patches on the TG33 is a little counterintuitive, I actually had to check the manual for that - I'd never have guessed that you have to exit edit mode before you can save a patch, or that you use the right arrow to actually save rather than the yes button like most other functions.  But on the whole it's a really easy, fun box to work with so I can get plenty of use from it without even thinking about hidden parameters, just like how I've never actually bothered to mess with all of the hidden waveforms in the CZ synths because it can do so much as it is with the 8 stock ones, I don't even know where I'd begin with 200+more.

EDIT: honestly, I think I'd be more inclined to make my own editor in Sounddiver than to bother setting up a virtual machine.

But hopefully the person who offered a copy of the SD editor in a Gearslutz thread last fall will answer my PM eventually and this will all be moot.  It's been over a week but I don't think they've actually logged on since the day before I PMed.

I'm thinking of selling my TG33. Not decided to yet, but the eBay prices are a little up right now and I might be able to make a few extra bucks than I paid for it. Tried programming it a bit over the last few weeks and I'm just hating that editing interface and just not loving where I am with the sounds. I'm sure it would be worth it for the sounds if it I didn't despise the interface quite so much, or was even considering messing with a software editor, but none of those things sound good to me right now, thinking of cutting my losses for time spent with it and just moving on to something else.

lol I'm kinda in the same place tbh with my SY22. I love the sound, but I just don't know where I'd use it in a track.. then again I keep thinking I want to just make a really serious sounding new age synth album where it'd come in handy.. but I have the JV1080 for that sooooo

I actually find it really easy and fun to edit but I've never had any issues with 90s tiny screen and buttons interfaces.

But don't give up hope yet, because I got an email from someone on Gearslutz who has the Sounddiver file, so now I'm waiting for an email. When I get it, I'll post it.

I've got to say, though, as much as I'm enjoying this thing it's no K1m, I don't know what it is about the k1m, I don't really use it as much as I should because I don't have the desk space to keep it permanently set up but I've had it for 3 or 4 years now and every time I pull it out I like it better than the last, there's just something really compellingly raw and alien about it, it sounds like the way we imagined the Internet when I was a kid in the early 90s before anyone actually tried it. It sounds like skimming the "cyberpunk" issue of Time Magazine in the waiting room while I waited to have my braces tightened.

I'm going to spend the next few months really focusing on using the two of them as a pair.

^the two as a pair could be very interesting. I considered the K1m and maybe should've gone with it as it would integrate better into my sound, I think. Maybe one day I'll dig in on it, but new gear is some ways off for me anyway.

lol I'm kinda in the same place tbh with my SY22. I love the sound, but I just don't know where I'd use it in a track.. then again I keep thinking I want to just make a really serious sounding new age synth album where it'd come in handy.. but I have the JV1080 for that sooooo

New age synth album is the ideal place for it I'm sure lol. I can integrate it into my tunes but damn does it take some work.

The only reason why I've kept it is because I got it for $50, it almost doesn't seem worth listing again for that price. I've considered dismantling it and selling the parts that are still working, as I might be able to make up the cost on the keys alone lol

^the two as a pair could be very interesting. I considered the K1m and maybe should've gone with it as it would integrate better into my sound, I think. Maybe one day I'll dig in on it, but new gear is some ways off for me anyway.

New age synth album is the ideal place for it I'm sure lol. I can integrate it into my tunes but damn does it take some work.

It can really nail this sort of sound, too.

Archived