IGNORED

Lithium Metal Batteries

Rubin Farr

Seems like a big advancement, a lot of people have been working on the next big break thru in battery technology, could this be it?  Mobile devices, cars, connected devices, public transportation, the applications could be endless.  Hopefully this will kick the electric auto industry in the ass and move it into regular & affordable production.

http://news.mit.edu/2016/lithium-metal-batteries-double-power-consumer-electronics-0817

Seems like a big advancement, a lot of people have been working on the next big break thru in battery technology, could this be it?  Mobile devices, cars, connected devices, public transportation, the applications could be endless.  Hopefully this will kick the electric auto industry in the ass and move it into regular & affordable production.

http://news.mit.edu/2016/lithium-metal-batteries-double-power-consumer-electronics-0817

I wish :(. Energy storage fore rechargable batteries is one field that you should always remain skeptical about when someone announces a breakthrough. I remember someone telling me that they are still a very long ways away from having a battery that can have efficient storage capabilities and even if we did it would be cost-prohibitive to mass produce for even longer. If someone did invent a new renewable battery storage system that lasted a very long time without additional energy being added in, was economic to build and durable it would be a HUGE breakthrough though and would make green energy actually viable.

I wish :(. Energy storage fore rechargable batteries is one field that you should always remain skeptical about when someone announces a breakthrough. I remember someone telling me that they are still a very long ways away from having a battery that can have efficient storage capabilities and even if we did it would be cost-prohibitive to mass produce for even longer. If someone did invent a new renewable battery storage system that lasted a very long time without additional energy being added in, was economic to build and durable it would be a HUGE breakthrough though and would make green energy actually viable.

The greener, the better. Too bad I'm a hypocrite for driving a combustion-engine car.

You guys might appreciate this one if you hadn't seen it already

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/energy-storage-hits-the-rails-out-west/

I wish I knew more about thermodynamics, but my sense is that technological advances energy sequestration and storage face a real uphill battle ( :dadjoke: ) with diminishing returns

Archived