IGNORED

BOC's Little Intermission Songs

tarsier888

Guest twiddler

Quite a few of the interludes on the Campfire Headphase ( I think Sherbert Head and Ataronchronon mainly) have a real crunchy grainy/ granular synthesis type sound. I always found it a little out of character that BoC would use such a well-worn modern technique which dates the music to the last few years.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like to me, that it's very fast LFO's modulating the amplitude, if you are talking about what I think you're talking about.

I think you're right, it may also be something I've tried incidentally in cool edit - with dynamics processing, just draw some wiggly pattern over the entire graph, roughly around the diagonal, and it gives a similar amlitude modulation. could be this or a combination of both. very lousy. those two songs suck

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest All X And Her

This is exactly what the Boards did not intend when they made their music, focus on the gorgeous melodies, not the technics.

I think its rather ridiculous to focus on one audio event, and not another. if they wanted us to focus on just melodies, that wouldn't have put in an lfo that modulated the amplitude. its a huge part of the sound of the track ( Sherbert Head)

and Ill thank you for letting me do what I want.

Guest twiddler
This is exactly what the Boards did not intend when they made their music, focus on the gorgeous melodies, not the technics.

cool then where's the melody on these tracks?

Guest All X And Her
I think its rather ridiculous to focus on one audio event, and not another. if they wanted us to focus on just melodies, that wouldn't have put in an lfo that modulated the amplitude. its a huge part of the sound of the track ( Sherbert Head)

Well I apologize for telling you what to do (that was not my intent, rather, a mistake) but I mean, there's a difference between noticing the texture of a sound and appreciating it, and picking it apart to figure out if it could have been made easily by anybody. Takes the fun of the music away IMO. But yes, tinker, twiddle knobs, trust me I enjoy doing that too!

So you criticize people for talking about the technical aspect of the work, but not for spending an absurd amount of time and money on a gig that never existed?

Well I apologize for telling you what to do (that was not my intent, rather, a mistake) but I mean, there's a difference between noticing the texture of a sound and appreciating it, and picking it apart to figure out if it could have been made easily by anybody. Takes the fun of the music away IMO. But yes, tinker, twiddle knobs, trust me I enjoy doing that too!

I think that kind of reasoning is a bit close minded. Personally, I enjoy analyzing music. This does not mean, at all, that I cannot enjoy it on an emotional level, devoid of analysis. I think it means I get to experience the music even deeper, on two levels. Theres the level where I sit back and just get lost in the music, and then theres the level where I look at whats going on. I get pleasure from looking at what went into making a piece of music. Its fascinating to see how people think. What they did on this track, is an extremely simple technique. Its an lfo modulating the amplitude, and the rate of the LFO is being modulated as well, either by manually turning a knob, or by modulating the rate with another LFO. I could very well go do this on all my tracks, but it doesn't mean it would sound good. Nor would it mean it would sound bad. Its a technique, an idea. Certainly BoC have dissected all the music they've ever listened to in their life. Its nice to think of our musical heros as geniuses that sit down and through divine inspiration just make amazing music, but I think its a bit insulting actually. Most, (and I would argue all) people who are truly great, get there through hard-work. Anyways, I see no harm in trying to understand why something they did, no matter how small, was so effective. Obviously it strikes me enough emotionally to want to figure it out, just like someone hears a lovely melody and wants to learn it on the piano, I hear a little audio trick, and to me, thats pure melody in my mind, and why wouldn't I want to figure it out?

Analysis is very important when composing. Its not that you are stealing ideas, its that you are expanding your vocabulary. Its up to you to make a unique sentence with the words you've acquired over time. thats the art of it.

Guest twiddler

I think that kind of reasoning is a bit close minded. Personally, I enjoy analyzing music. This does not mean, at all, that I cannot enjoy it on an emotional level, devoid of analysis. I think it means I get to experience the music even deeper, on two levels. Theres the level where I sit back and just get lost in the music, and then theres the level where I look at whats going on. I get pleasure from looking at what went into making a piece of music. Its fascinating to see how people think. What they did on this track, is an extremely simple technique. Its an lfo modulating the amplitude, and the rate of the LFO is being modulated as well, either by manually turning a knob, or by modulating the rate with another LFO. I could very well go do this on all my tracks, but it doesn't mean it would sound good. Nor would it mean it would sound bad. Its a technique, an idea. Certainly BoC have dissected all the music they've ever listened to in their life. Its nice to think of our musical heros as geniuses that sit down and through divine inspiration just make amazing music, but I think its a bit insulting actually. Most, (and I would argue all) people who are truly great, get there through hard-work. Anyways, I see no harm in trying to understand why something they did, no matter how small, was so effective. Obviously it strikes me enough emotionally to want to figure it out, just like someone hears a lovely melody and wants to learn it on the piano, I hear a little audio trick, and to me, thats pure melody in my mind, and why wouldn't I want to figure it out?

Analysis is very important when composing. Its not that you are stealing ideas, its that you are expanding your vocabulary. Its up to you to make a unique sentence with the words you've acquired over time. thats the art of it.

besides, the forum's called we are the music makers

my mind has roughly two modes to listen to music in;

the rational, analyzing and dissecting mode that kcinsu describes,

and the irrational, purely emotional way of listening.

when my brain is in the latter mode, i tend to forget the concept of 'music' and the whole technological/rational process behind it, and the sound itself hits me in the most undiluted way possible, ofcourse still being rationally perceived by my brain, but irrationally processed and directly influencing my 'unconsciousness' without any rational information altering my perception of the sound.

Overall I disagree with the thread-opener. The short tracks are absolutely fundamental to the success of BoC's records imo. You could argue that there are too many, but I don't agree with that either to be fair.

Mmmm, Geogaddi.

Guest i.fucked.your.mother

Are you deaf?

Guest twiddler

Are you deaf?

no - there's no melody, just chords repeated over and over

maybe you're imagining melodies :whistling:

Are you deaf?

Call it what you want, it's still a melody. See, I can hum Sherbet Head.

HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....MMMMMM MMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMM HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,,, CRACKLECRACKLE HMMMMMHMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMHMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....MMMMMM MMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMM HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,,, CRACKLECRACKLE HMMMMMHMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMHMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....MMMMMM MMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMM HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,,, CRACKLECRACKLE HMMMMMHMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMM

Guest twiddler

Are you deaf?

HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....MMMMMM MMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMM HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,,, CRACKLECRACKLE HMMMMMHMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMHMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....MMMMMM MMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMM HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,,, CRACKLECRACKLE HMMMMMHMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMHMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....MMMMMM MMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMM HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,,, CRACKLECRACKLE HMMMMMHMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMM

*applause*

Are you deaf?

*applause*

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Guest All X And Her

Ugh... that was a general statement, not referring to these specific tracks.

Respect to Kcinsu for actually SAYING something in his posts, he makes some good points, I should probably not talk, since I am not as much of a musician as some of you are, I apologize.

Ugh... that was a general statement, not referring to these specific tracks.

Respect to Kcinsu for actually SAYING something in his posts, he makes some good points, I should probably not talk, since I am not as much of a musician as some of you are, I apologize.

I just backed yo ass up African American, don't run from that playa.

Guest All X And Her

So you criticize people for talking about the technical aspect of the work, but not for spending an absurd amount of time and money on a gig that never existed?

I'm sorry, but if you can't tell the difference between pointing my opinion out (and in case you didn't notice, I stepped up as the bigger man and apologized, admitting I made a mistake by posting it in a "matter of fact way" which I admit was wrong) and flaming someone for following clues that were INTENTIONALLY put there for that reason, there are some problems...

constants are changing is probably one of my fav tracks, along with diving station, i saw drones and tears from the compound eye, allthough thats not really an transitional peice.

i wouldnt have said sherbert head was an interlude either, it doesnt have the rich timbre of the full peices but its just as long.

EWWW!!!! analyzing!?!? EW!!

i can't imagine how you would be able to listen to it the same way ever again if you got that knowledge..

for example, when i was trying to figure out what the voice said in 1969 i went on the site, scrolled down to where it said 1969, and then looked for a couple seconds and read a few words, i wish i hadn't because it really took something away that i had when i listened to the song before i knew what it said..

i would imagine it is the same with the music, if you sit there and try to figure out what is happening and how they got it, and you find that it was simple and that anybody could do it.. it would really take away from the experience of listening to that song

come on, it's like seeing someone show you a magic trick, and then afterwards you look up the trick on the internet and see how to do it.. it's not magic anymore!

EWWW!!!! analyzing!?!? EW!!

i can't imagine how you would be able to listen to it the same way ever again if you got that knowledge..

for example, when i was trying to figure out what the voice said in 1969 i went on the site, scrolled down to where it said 1969, and then looked for a couple seconds and read a few words, i wish i hadn't because it really took something away that i had when i listened to the song before i knew what it said..

i would imagine it is the same with the music, if you sit there and try to figure out what is happening and how they got it, and you find that it was simple and that anybody could do it.. it would really take away from the experience of listening to that song

come on, it's like seeing someone show you a magic trick, and then afterwards you look up the trick on the internet and see how to do it.. it's not magic anymore!

for you maybe. people find equal amounts of pleasure in different things.

if it took anything away from the music, I wouldnt do it. But it doesn't. (for me).

Guest Iain C

Here's a tip, Tarsier: if that shit's important to you, don't start making music, or you'll weep the first time you tweak a lowpass filter

You don't listen to music the same way when you become aware of production techniques. When you can speak in that language, you can enjoy it and understand it on another level. In many ways you have a new respect for those who made it because of their brilliant production choices or impressed by something because you can't work out how they did it.

The only song I still listen to after 8 months of owning Campfire Headphase is Ataronchronon...strangely enough, it's short enough that you don't get bored with it, and tweaked enough that if you're stoned and staring at the album artwork whilst listening to this track, you feel like the song is what's making the pictures grainy :ermm:

Archived