IGNORED

Döner Kebab

dingformung

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2020 at 10:01 PM, rhmilo said:

WATMM needs a “kill thread” feature.

Also, haven’t had kebab in ages.

I've had it once in the Netherlands some years ago and regret it to this day. There is no good kebab in Holland, neither north nor south of it, nor elsewhere in that country.

7 minutes ago, dingformung said:

There is no good kebab in Holland, neither north nor south of it, nor elsewhere in that country.

Fuck you!

Might have shawarma today. Ahh standard stuff that comes with platters here - ton of meat, potato, rice, garlic aioli, tahini, hummus, balady, and a bunch of pickled stuff - lots of the places don’t give pickled turnip tho it seems only a select few and that’s my fav. 

I’ll post a pic if I get it.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1

Oh, was just gonna say I guess that’s not a proper kebab right? We usually opt for the platters because we can make our own little wrap-bites with all the yummy ingredients. Are platters a normal alternative to getting a proper wrapped up kebab or is it a Canadian thing?

we get something like this and then scoop everything up with the balady

image.jpeg.3270b1fe6c3ec86495f4a2d987f903ee.jpeg

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 2

Looks like a much better version of what's called "Döner Box" here (basically just kebab meat + sauce + some carbs that ain't the traditional bread). I think the sauce looks too much like mayonnaise, though. But never judge a book by its cover. I'd definitely shovel it into my body just for the sensation of doing that.

Enjoy

8 hours ago, dingformung said:

I eat Sambal Oelek with a spoon, though. As an Indonesian that might make your chest swell from patriotism.

No self respecting Indonesian eats sambal oelek. That stuff is vile.

?

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

It's chillies, vinegar, salt, water, oil, right? There is little you can do wrong here apart from using low quality ingredients. So the supermarket stuff should be fine

Keep thinking that, white boy ?

Joking aside: Indonesians (yes, all 250 million of them, though I’m not sure Papuans even have sambal to make their sago paste more palatable) have all sorts of different recipes for the stuff, most of which include extra ingredients. Trassi (a dried cake made of rotten shrimp) is a common one, as is palm sugar (esp. in Central Java, where they like their food sweet). A common alternative to trassi is small dried fish, pounded to a pulp. Etc.

Source: grew up there. The people who cooked for us always made their own - and none of their versions tasted like that foul vinegary concoction that gets sold as Sambal Oelek.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Oh, was just gonna say I guess that’s not a proper kebab right? We usually opt for the platters because we can make our own little wrap-bites with all the yummy ingredients. Are platters a normal alternative to getting a proper wrapped up kebab or is it a Canadian thing?

we get something like this and then scoop everything up with the balady

image.jpeg.3270b1fe6c3ec86495f4a2d987f903ee.jpeg

No, not a Canadian thing, we also have kebab and shawarma platters in Europe, and I agree it's more fun. Kebab platters usually come with fries; with the shawarma platter, you might get some extra flatbread on the side.

The "döner box" is the to-go equivalent.

And pickled turnip is a must (!) and definitely part of the original Lebanese recipe (source: no one).

• Like 1