IGNORED

Drum production on Analord/Rushup Edge/Syro

heyheyjack

oh fuck the 1st and 3rd one i didn't know. That 3rd one is a rough/nasty break but sounds really good in the song. I feel like chemical brothers might have used it, i know i've heard another song with it I just cant place it

Did anyone mention reamping the drums and micing up the room/PA speakers? That can add a lot of depth to the drum sounds (or any sounds for that matter). It sounds to me like Aphex does a lot of reamping on synths and drums, blending that with the direct signal. This is especially noticeable on Analord and Syro.

Did anyone mention reamping the drums and micing up the room/PA speakers? That can add a lot of depth to the drum sounds (or any sounds for that matter). It sounds to me like Aphex does a lot of reamping on synths and drums, blending that with the direct signal. This is especially noticeable on Analord and Syro.

Def, a good example could be that robot drum break that he played over a PA set in a concert hall while soundchecking, and recording that. Or Aitsana of course, or the start of Cow Cud Is A Twin, or the CCAI tracks on Drukqs + basically everything on CCAI too?

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

oh fuck the 1st and 3rd one i didn't know. That 3rd one is a rough/nasty break but sounds really good in the song. I feel like chemical brothers might have used it, i know i've heard another song with it I just cant place it

Elektrobank sprang to mind but just did a quick search and it looks like they haven't used the Both Eyes Open break in anything. Elektrobank samples this

1:40 here is the 180db_ loop

cock ver 10

more cock

wow, how didi not know this? *mind blown*

what about the one that comes in around 3:19-3:20

:D

Guess it's only worth doing that in a treated room/ very specific acoustics?

It might be a bit off topic at this point but I read this comment again on his SC and the last part has been stuck in my head the passed couple of days.

4FS3sHA.jpg

Jack Dangers is another master of drum sampling; record digging and even VHS digging, sampling a break and reworking it, he was also a leader in breaking drums down to single hits, fucking with them, resampling, or filtering them way back in the 90s when that software first became available.

On a tangent; Richard and Jack own two of the last functioning Synthi 100s left.

DC90DBA8-0E28-4563-9D55-19CE8E1DE17D_zps

DA63A36B-9F37-4CA7-B8F1-EBA41DD6ACAB_zps

Richard even remixed Jack once in the 90s

[youtubehd]vspgcxtFKCI[/youtubehd]

Jack Dangers doesn't get enough love around here post Fredd Mcgriff era watmm. Dude is a legend.

Part of me is a little surprised that more producers (esp UK ones) aren't toying around much with full break samples anymore (chopping up every individual hit and reworking it) although I'd be willing to wager that a lot of them don't even know how to rework a break the way that producers like RDJ and Dangers had mastered in the 90s. It seems like one of those sort of lost arts, maybe one day it will make a comeback. Enough time has passed where breaks are no longer cliche (there was an era when a good amount of top 10 female rock pop music in the US had a bad breakbeat loop under it)

Jack Dangers is another master of drum sampling; record digging and even VHS digging, sampling a break and reworking it, he was also a leader in breaking drums down to single hits, fucking with them, resampling, or filtering them way back in the 90s when that software first became available.

On a tangent; Richard and Jack own two of the last functioning Synthi 100s left.

[youtubehd]vspgcxtFKCI[/youtubehd]

Hmm? There's a functioning one here at the music center in my city. It works, or at least it did appr 1.5yrs ago when I saw it.

Or do you mean something different?

Nevermind sorry I think I see what you mean. Very few working ones left, 2 of which RDJ and Jack Dangers own.

Yeah "officially" but - nah, not really? More "gave the label a track" (like with Lemonheads remix, haven't heard that one though)

It's fun to read all these "ah it must be all the analog pre's & high end stuff he uses..." Mm, it's all in the gear, as always... Just BUY and you're all set!

That 30+ years of experience & knowledge & actually give a f*ck about editing and doing your own thing is more like it, if you ask me.

RDJ did amazing stuff even decades before all that experience just because he cared enough to do it. Time & dedication goes a really long way.

No. But you can use a convulsion reverb plugin. Just as good.

Jack Dangers doesn't get enough love around here post Fredd Mcgriff era watmm. Dude is a legend.

Part of me is a little surprised that more producers (esp UK ones) aren't toying around much with full break samples anymore (chopping up every individual hit and reworking it) although I'd be willing to wager that a lot of them don't even know how to rework a break the way that producers like RDJ and Dangers had mastered in the 90s. It seems like one of those sort of lost arts, maybe one day it will make a comeback. Enough time has passed where breaks are no longer cliche (there was an era when a good amount of top 10 female rock pop music in the US had a bad breakbeat loop under it)

i agree, breaks seem to have been gone for too long now. i like the more minimalist drum sounds too but it's strange that something so big could practically disappear for so long

jungle breaks seem to be gaining more ground in dnb again, which is a good thing imo

what's surprising to me is that in 2015 you can still find your own breaks to sample from cursory crate digging. I always assumed that in the 00's 'all the breaks' so to speak would have already been pillaged, but far far from it.

Def, a good example could be that robot drum break that he played over a PA set in a concert hall while soundchecking, and recording that. Or Aitsana of course, or the start of Cow Cud Is A Twin, or the CCAI tracks on Drukqs + basically everything on CCAI too?

I'm thinking of tracks where it's used a bit more subtly to add a bit of extra weight and depth. I suspect there is some reamping on some drums and synths on the first 5 tracks off Syro, furthering the "bigness" of sound on those ones. It is less prominent on some of the tracks towards the end, but probably still a feature. I've experimented more with reamping certain instruments in my own tracks since hearing Syro, and it has made a remarkable difference. I'd done a little bit of that before, but mostly on noise tracks that needed more weight and width. Room modeling reverb VSTs can achieve a similar effect, but it's never quite the same.

Nope, it's worth trying in any room. There's usually a way to make any space sound cool, though often you have to get creative with the mic placement, and sometimes drastic EQ adjustments are necessary. I often have to notch out huge chunks in the lowers mids and crank up the brighter highs for my control room sound to achieve the coloration I'm looking for. There was one track in particular that was driving me mad, because I had a synth part that was really strong, with a synth sound that should have been great in theory, but for some reason when I heard it back it sounded amateur to me for some reason I couldn't place my finger on. There was something plastic about the sound. Then I miced up the room for that synth and cranked up the highs an absurd amount, blended it almost 50/50 with the original signal... suddenly everything sounded perfect. It solved every problem I was having with the mix. The same method has also worked wonders on drum sounds for me where they still sounded thin depsite being EQed more or less where I wanted them. i should mention too that I usually use two mics spread far left and right (both physically, and in the mix panning). On Syro it seems like on some tracks there is just a single mic on the room near the centre of the mix, and on others two or more mics placed wide left and right. Of course, I may be completely mistaken.

Yeah "officially" but - nah, not really? More "gave the label a track" (like with Lemonheads remix, haven't heard that one though)

Yeah that's the urban legend with Richard's "remixes" but this is one of his rare ones with an identifiable sample in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unMl7h715sY

Yeah that's the urban legend with Richard's "remixes" but this is one of his rare ones with an identifiable sample in it.

I got the actual CD-single - ages since I listened to it though:

Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream (The Aphex Twin Remix)

Archived