IGNORED

autechre unintentionally ripping off gas?

The Sponge Wiggler

i hadn't heard of gas before i heard the bleep 10 compilation, and someone said they really liked pop by gas, so i decided to check that out, and untitled 2 on it is exactly the same as the intro to syptixed, same intervals and same key and roughly same timing and textures. granted, it is a simple droney thing, but i sort of wonder if this was them unintentionally internalizing something and copying it, or if they had never heard this track and syptixed just happened to turn out the same way.

Gas, Untitled 2:

(starting at 5:13)

Syptixed

i wouldn't care if 2 of my favorite music mens copy each other. tho they sound really different, at least in mood

yeah, i don't care either, just i heard the song and it reminded me of syptixed, and syptixed was made after, now that i'm listening to it again, i don't really know why i thought it sounded so similar

i realized that i gave misinformation, the part in gas's song where it's the same as the syptixed intro was 10:55 onwards, before that it doesn't sound the same at all, though really, it's just the thing with the 4th to the 9th interval, which is not really anyone's property

i wouldn't care if 2 of my favorite music mens copy each other. tho they sound really different, at least in mood

yeah, i don't care either, just i heard the song and it reminded me of syptixed, and syptixed was made after, now that i'm listening to it again, i don't really know why i thought it sounded so similar

i realized that i gave misinformation, the part in gas's song where it's the same as the syptixed intro was 10:55 onwards, before that it doesn't sound the same at all, though really, it's just the thing with the 4th to the 9th interval, which is not really anyone's property

I'm glad you listened to Pop!

But I don't really see anything more than a very vague/sketchy similarity. If I spent an afternoon I could probably find 100 other tracks having "this much" in common to SYptixed, or any track really. Like, the title track on Syro has this same interval-thing at one point (maybe in a different key).

Why these threads always has to mention "ripping off" (why not stealing or murdering with rape, uninentionally) and then discuss some little detail. Electronic music is a festival of ripping off, especially sample-based stuff like Gas.

you are right, really, i was just being provocative. but this hasn't really happened to me before, when i noticed something exactly the same (in terms of notes and rhythm) in two electronic songs, except for really common drum breaks. like the "think" break, (i can't listen to a new song with that break, so ridiculously overused), also sorta the ashley's roachclip break.

Yes! Looks like it was Sean being guilty of ripping off Gas. Nice of him to do it outside though. Don't want to think about the consequences of doing it in a studio.

I would be disappointed if he'd look "uptight and shamed". Definitely not his style. He's not the kind to be afraid ripping a loud bass in a huge crowd, imo.

* plays ae live in utrecht *

you are right, really, i was just being provocative. but this hasn't really happened to me before, when i noticed something exactly the same (in terms of notes and rhythm) in two electronic songs, except for really common drum breaks. like the "think" break, (i can't listen to a new song with that break, so ridiculously overused), also sorta the ashley's roachclip break.

Funnily, i find the rhythm on M62 from Move of Ten, namely the basic deep bass kick, really similar to that of Zauberberg by Gas. It's more fast and hard-hitting and probably has another source of inspiration behind it, but it has the same sort of distance between the rhythm and the tonal content.

Archived