IGNORED

My attempt to perfectly recreate Aphex Twin's "Xtal" and "Ageispolis"

mister miller

8 hours ago, Brisbot said:

That said, Aphex said he also remade this album right? Makes me wonder if he did what you did here, or if it is a reinterpretation kinda thing.

I think he said he's tried to go back in style and method a few times but felt it wasn't the same. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chim said:

I think he said he's tried to go back in style and method a few times but felt it wasn't the same. 

huh, I'd like to see what all he's said. I mean, it was never going to be the same I think since his melody sense has become much more funk-minded. That said, it leads to stuff like: 

which honestly I like just as much as his early 90s stuff. If he made an album full of similar tracks, I think it would be a worthy successor to SAW 1. He's also have spent a lot more time in that style so he would put out even better stuff in that style.

where did he say that?

really old interview from I want to say about 2009 or so. I'll try to find it. He also mentioned it somewhere in his user18081971 comments... or maybe aphex twin main account... somewhere.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 2

On 12/31/2020 at 11:26 AM, mister miller said:

A little project I've been working on in between writing my own stuff.

I've always been fascinated with SAW 85-92 and how it was created, as there's not a whole lot of info about it on the internet.

I thought it would be a fun challenge to try to recreate some of the tracks to maybe find out myself, through trial an error, how some of it was made.

Impressive! Now I need that Valhalla verb too lol

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2021 at 2:33 AM, tbf said:

can I ask how you processed the hats on xtal?

hats were just 808 samples with light flanger applied

there is lots of tape saturation on the master as well

• Like 1