IGNORED

My attempt to perfectly recreate Aphex Twin's "Xtal" and "Ageispolis"

mister miller

Impressive work! 

It'd be interesting to try the same approach with some of his more abrasive stuff from around the same era, like classics, AB3 etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 4:26 PM, mister miller said:

A little project I've been working on in between writing my own stuff.

I've always been fascinated with SAW 85-92 and how it was created, as there's not a whole lot of info about it on the internet.

I thought it would be a fun challenge to try to recreate some of the tracks to maybe find out myself, through trial an error, how some of it was made.

I'm confused they sound exactly like the originals lol. How on earth is this possible??? Impressive but confused. ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheBro said:

I'm confused they sound exactly like the originals lol. How on earth is this possible??? Impressive but confused. ?

lol there are definitely small differences.

i couldn't quite match the pads in either track, and the kick is too quiet in Xtal. 

His versions are glued together much better imo, and also have much dirtier sound from being "mastered" to cassette tape.

• 4 weeks later...

what I'm most impressed by is how well the reverb sits in the mix, despite the lack of cassette mastering. I think it's one of his most under-commented traits, and usually where things can go awry in many productions, especially in recreation attempts. was it all valhalla vintage? excellent job!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 8:49 PM, tbf said:

what I'm most impressed by is how well the reverb sits in the mix, despite the lack of cassette mastering. I think it's one of his most under-commented traits, and usually where things can go awry in many productions, especially in recreation attempts. was it all valhalla vintage? excellent job!

thanks and yep all valhalla vintage verb

i used some cassette emulation so maybe that helped a bit...

you pretty much nailed the dynamics between the elements, it's a delight to hear. maybe a good saturator on the master for Xtal could help crunch things together and liven up the drums a bit, they're a bit hidden in the back. I feel like the subtle grittiness is a strong signature on his music from that time

10 hours ago, tbf said:

you pretty much nailed the dynamics between the elements, it's a delight to hear. maybe a good saturator on the master for Xtal could help crunch things together and liven up the drums a bit, they're a bit hidden in the back. I feel like the subtle grittiness is a strong signature on his music from that time

i suspect that the quadraverb he was using on that record adds a lot more subtle background noise than the valhalla vintage verb, even though VVV is supposedly modeled after the quadraverb (i think).

Freely inspired by it rather than faithfully modeled IIRC. Goodhertz MegaVerb might get you there though. VVV is a pretty cool reverb anyway !

Edited by Nil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sweet. Do more Plz. It's interesting to have near replicas but done with recent tech.

That said, Aphex said he also remade this album right? Makes me wonder if he did what you did here, or if it is a reinterpretation kinda thing.

can I ask how you processed the hats on xtal?

Aphex said he also remade this album right?

where did he say that?

Edited by tbf
  • Like 1