IGNORED

H.R. Giger Museum - Switzerland

beerwolf

Any of you been? Was thinking about in spring maybe organising a short trip over to Switzerland to visit. Just a few days, maybe see a couple of other things but don’t want it to turn into a grand tour of Switzerland. The primary reason is the museum, but obviously if there are a few mega amazing things close by to Bern then I’ll set out to conquer them. My knowledge of Switzerland isn’t great, though I have the sneaky suspicion it’s one of those countries where it cost £12 for a glass (and not a pint glass!) of beer.

So any watmm tour guides out there I’d appreciate some inside knowledge.

AB2DDC5A-292F-4658-8D47-712832116B22.thumb.jpeg.50749137206ea13849e452b6ad28a344.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey! I went a few years ago and it's really fun and memorable. The contrast between the rural mountainous landscape and the gothic cybernetic genitalia world inside the museum is hilarious. My brother-in-law and I still laugh at a section of the exhibition that is behind a red curtain which says '18+ only". We opened it only to reveal more of the same alien dicks and vaginas. The man had a consistency of artistic vision.

There is a cool bar across from the museum that is decorated in his style with spinal column chairs and things like this, but I remember the beer being mega overpriced (even for switzerland), so I didn't go in. I regret it though! Overall I recommend.

I lived in Switzerland for two years and think Bern and Interlaken still make quite an impression on me, in terms of scenery.

Edited by gnarlybog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm living next to the Switzerland border, a few of my friends went to the Giger museum a few years back, pretty cool from what they told me. Life is super expensive in Switzerland tho'. It's a beautiful country and the state of mind is very different from the hell hole that is France, in the early 2000s smoking weed was pretty much tolerated but I don't know if things are still the same in 2021. Remember seeing Gojira in Nyons in 2004 when they where touring for "The Link" , nice memories.

• Like 1

some years back I saw Giger's exhibition in Vienna (I think it was in the Hundertwasser building) I wanted to buy a poster so bad but they were all wack so I bought one anyway (I hated that poster)

The work with Ridley on Alien was a perfect confluence of both worlds, one of the rare things. And I think there were some pieces on his Jodorowski collaboration if I remember right.

• Like 2

There’s a short documentary about him on Amazon Prime which I watched yesterday, which fired me up about visiting the museum. I’ve been into him since a kid and it’s one of those places that’s been on my bucket list for years and years, and perhaps now needs ticking off. I also wanted to do that mental 007 Golden Eye bungee jump off the dam wall but thats not as essential.

1 hour ago, Squee said:

It has just been announced if you're going to Switzerland you'll have to spend 10 days in isolation upon arrival.

Just optimistically thinking out loud really Squee. If things return to some normal then I'll do it. I certainly won't be bothering if the situation goes topsy turvy.

Strange times.

Schlitze you still remain banned I'm afraid ?

Edited by beerwolf