IGNORED

2023/24 Football Season

This board isn't very active so I thought I'd create a general thread of everything related to the 2023/24 season in football around the world.

To start, I'm so excited that Luton Town are finally back in the top flight of English football. I grew up in the area during the dark era and it's great to see a success story that's deserved and honest. I went to a home fixture against Middlesbrough in the season just past and the excitement around Kenilworth Road was palpable. The promotion will no doubt allow us to build the new stadium with no debt! They're due to break ground later in November and it should hopefully be finished by 2026 which is still a while away.

I actually remember when Luton Town were in the old First Division! That makes me feel very fucking old lol. I remember because I collected one of those Panini sticker books and remember Luton Town (and Derby County among others) in the book. That was about....1988 I reckon. I remember liking their orange and white strip. I actually was really into footie when I was younger, but I was never any good at playing it on the field but not so bad in the playground when it was more of a scrap on concrete and finesse wasn't required lol. So I was never as passionate as all my friends (who all played for youth teams). Nowadays I just watch World Cup, UEFA Euro and the odd big match on TV. I'd never pay for a Sky subscription for football so that was really the nail in the coffin for me. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, beerwolf said:

I actually remember when Luton Town were in the old First Division! That makes me feel very fucking old lol. I remember because I collected one of those Panini sticker books and remember Luton Town (and Derby County among others) in the book. That was about....1988 I reckon. I remember liking their orange and white strip. I actually was really into footie when I was younger, but I was never any good at playing it on the field but not so bad in the playground when it was more of a scrap on concrete and finesse wasn't required lol. So I was never as passionate as all my friends (who all played for youth teams). Nowadays I just watch World Cup, UEFA Euro and the odd big match on TV. I'd never pay for a Sky subscription for football so that was really the nail in the coffin for me. 

Lucky you! 1988 was when Luton Town won the League Cup as well which would have meant playing in Europe had it not been for UEFA's ban on English teams after the Heysel disaster. I was very much not alive at that point unfortunately but those were the glory days for sure - we have a chance to relive them if these next few seasons go our way!

On 6/15/2023 at 5:26 AM, milkface said:

This board isn't very active so I thought I'd create a general thread of everything related to the 2023/24 season in football around the world.

To start, I'm so excited that Luton Town are finally back in the top flight of English football. I grew up in the area during the dark era and it's great to see a success story that's deserved and honest. I went to a home fixture against Middlesbrough in the season just past and the excitement around Kenilworth Road was palpable. The promotion will no doubt allow us to build the new stadium with no debt! They're due to break ground later in November and it should hopefully be finished by 2026 which is still a while away.

Damn you guys are spending the PL money on a new stadium? Any transfers coming in?

3 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Damn you guys are spending the PL money on a new stadium? Any transfers coming in?

Nah the plans were already in place to build it but COVID and now the supply chain complications and rising material costs because of the Ukraine war delayed the project but I imagine the PL money might afford a few upgrades here and there but it would have been built even without promotion to the PL since 10,000 capacity is tiny even for the Championship/ League One. The project is really exciting because it'll also provide new housing and a new shopping district into Luton's town centre which has been decaying for decades. The new stadium will hold 20,000 people with the capability to increase to 23,000+ with minor expansions which is great because all of the seats at our current stadium are taken up by season ticket holders so no new fans can go to games. It'll also include safe standing for both home and away fans which will be a really exciting way to keep football passionate. But overall, the club are really sensible with money so I trust them completely.

As for singings, there are plenty of rumours and players being linked to us but nothing definite so far! Looks like we're trying to take star players from the Championship and League One, as well as B-team players from the PL.

16 minutes ago, milkface said:

Nah the plans were already in place to build it but COVID and now the supply chain complications and rising material costs because of the Ukraine war delayed the project but I imagine the PL money might afford a few upgrades here and there but it would have been built even without promotion to the PL since 10,000 capacity is tiny even for the Championship/ League One. The project is really exciting because it'll also provide new housing and a new shopping district into Luton's town centre which has been decaying for decades. The new stadium will hold 20,000 people with the capability to increase to 23,000+ with minor expansions which is great because all of the seats at our current stadium are taken up by season ticket holders so no new fans can go to games. It'll also include safe standing for both home and away fans which will be a really exciting way to keep football passionate. But overall, the club are really sensible with money so I trust them completely.

As for singings, there are plenty of rumours and players being linked to us but nothing definite so far! Looks like we're trying to take star players from the Championship and League One, as well as B-team players from the PL.

Sounds good. I just worry that you'll be in and out of the prem - it's a tough season with very few, if any, easy games (leeds can get fucked). Hoping you stay up!

6 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Sounds good. I just worry that you'll be in and out of the prem - it's a tough season with very few, if any, easy games (leeds can get fucked). Hoping you stay up!

That's my fear too. Hopefully we can be like Brighton and Brentford and build something strong and sustainable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Born and bred in Luton. Raised on Arsenal. Luton deserve at least 4 or 5 more points than they have amassed so far. Some excellent performances against the big boys. And 2 wins in a row. Would love it if they can finish in 17th at least.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

2-2 @chenGOD

Yeah Newport county showed some grit to get it back there. End result was as expected, but we should have put the game to bed in the first half. Too may missed chances. Plus we got this out of the match:

https://x.com/AccidentalP/status/1751719846176268421?s=20

• Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Everton's 10 point deduction has been reduced to 6. We're really going to struggle to stay up this season.

On 1/28/2024 at 6:08 PM, milkface said:

We've been drawn against Man City for the 5th round… Cup run finished :sad:

Haaland………..

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

McDonald's will be the new sponsor for Ligue 1. Seen that they'll be paying 20 million euros per season, an increase from the 15 million euros that Uber Eats currently pay. Funny seeing fast food sponsoring sports. A bit like when Coca Cola sponsored the EFL Championship lol

They currently sponsor RC Lens at the moment which is why I assume they've done this.

image.png.5ee19aaaf56d8e15228f0d518da4845c.png

Edited by milkface