IGNORED

Stone in Focus

zazen

On 12/15/2023 at 8:41 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

I’m surprised that there isn’t already a thread about this song. One of my favorites of his, by far. I think I came upon it a bit late, as well, but still probably 15-20 years ago. Such a perfect tune. 
I own one physical release of this, on this bad boy…

spacer.png

I had the cd copy and hot damn that aphex track made it quite the prized possession getting non stop rotation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 4:52 PM, zazen said:

I guess I've seen this track mentioned here and there but I'd never quite clocked that it's not part of the SAW II CD, was only on the vinyl. So I'd never properly looked it up. Hence its only today, nearly 30 years after I first bought Selected Ambient Works Volume 2 on CD that I actually heard the track. Its really beautiful.

(The youtube comments here are actually worth reading, its like a shrine or place of meditation)

Track officially available for the last few years as digital on the Aphex Twin warp store - track 19

Just in case you don't know, you can buy the digital copy of the track on the album from his website since 2017, it's one of his best, seeing him play even only a 2 min spliced version at Printworks was bucket list stuff

On 12/17/2023 at 1:34 PM, hayhook said:

There was a theory at the time that "On (28 Mix)" was a reference to it being "track 28" from SAWII

Oh, it's more than a theory...

• Like 3

On 1/3/2024 at 4:48 PM, Freak of the week said:

this wouldn't sound out of place on saw2

I had this exact thought literally yesterday!

• 2 weeks later...

I think quite a few contemporary reviewers said the same thing. Its def got the right mood, (only the piano dates it to the Druqks era.)

I know Richard said he subsequently lost interest in ambient, but theres a few bits and pieces scattered around his discography that roughly revisit the same area. He has said on soundcloud he has SAW III half-written - which I assume means he has a bunch of eerie beatless tracks he likes earmarked for potential release. I am surprised he never did a full album of musique concrete considering how much of a big fan he is - I suppose the closest thing we got to one would be CCAI pt2 or the Mt Fuji Tape.

• Like 1