IGNORED

AFX and Bjork?

Guest osoloco69

Guest osoloco69

Has anyone else heard rumor of AFX doing some collaboration on the production of Bjork's new album?

Guest Milkman

i dont know but i wouldnt be surprised..

bjrok has connections with electronic music world cuz as far as i know her music was made by Matmos on lives at least..

No, I'm sure Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers' collaborations are lovely. I just don't think it works that well with electronic music. Especially not Aphex. You buy Aphex you want to hear just Aphex......don't want some mad Icelandic bird wailing about all over what would have been a good track do you? Nah, fuck electronic music/Electronica collabs. Can't think of any particularly memorable or good ones really.....

No, I'm sure Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers' collaborations are lovely. I just don't think it works that well with electronic music. Especially not Aphex. You buy Aphex you want to hear just Aphex......don't want some mad Icelandic bird wailing about all over what would have been a good track do you? Nah, fuck electronic music/Electronica collabs. Can't think of any particularly memorable or good ones really.....

afx + squarepusher was good

Guest analord skywalker

I disagree. I have got some great remixes of Bjork tracks. Her crazy voice is just about the only one that would sit well with Aphex.

Bjorks voice is ok for one or 2 tracks, but a whole album yuk!

Also Bjork is like Madonna and David Bowie, she hangs out with the cool people when theyare cool, Goldie, Mark Bell, Funkstorung etc

Guest Milkman

as i know aphex was also asked by radiohead to do a collab with them and go on a tour with them but he said "fuck off" thank god.. :D

Guest osoloco69

As you can see from "The Eraser" there is a bit of a meth comdown album...also did anyone else notice any new samples on the album?- there not there. Thats because Thom Crybaby Yorke has no skills and the whole success of radiohead is attributed to Nigel. I did know that AFX turned down an album for Bjork, but he was kinda busy at the time, and I'm sure if the "Price is Right" he'll do anything like drop 26 mixes :) You have to remember that Bjork does have an understanding of programming and beat making...granted it's not my favorite, but she does hit the hardcore side electronica occasionally, which AFX has mastered, and honestly how else is AFX going to get the massive MTV style attention that he deserves?

an interview all about rdj and bjork and madonna and stuff.

can't remember where this interview is from btw, but its at least three or four years old:

Interviewer: Speaking of more commercial artists both Madonna and Björk have asked to work with you, haven¹t they?

RDJ: (laughing) Yeah, off course! They all want it!

Interviewer:What is the difference between the two of them?

RDJ: Björk's loads more interesting. A million times more interesting personality wise. Madonna is pretty normal, she is like a very famous "Sharon".

Interviewer: They seem to have a similar interest in picking young and upcoming artists to work with.

RDJ: Yeah, it's pretty similar. I can't guarantee it because I don't know her [madonna] so well, but knowing Björk though, I think she does it out of (pauses)... Björk is like a little girl in a sweets shop. She's like: "Oh I love this, I love this! I want this, I want this!" Madonna is more like brutal. Like: "These are trendy, I can keep myself young and modern if I use them!" You know? Björk got that as well obviously but her motivation is that she just loves the musicians and would love to work with them. She picks people that aren't really that famous.

Interviewer: But Madonna was the first of them, for example, to work with Chris Cunningham.

RDJ: She's got a reasonably open mind, I'd reckon. I was actually really into doing tracks with her. But I just didn't want to do it then. She was just too famous. If I did it everybody would just be like "Oh yeah, you're the person she did a track with". You¹re whole career would just disappear. Everything that you'd work for before would disappear.

Interviwer: Wouldn't it have been interesting to do something with her [madonna] on your terms? For example for RePHlex Records?

RDJ: I was going to but she was more into me doing a track for her album or a single and I didn't really want to do that. I was thinking of a white label on RePHlex Records and I actually wrote a track for her and I had all these ideas: The track is this fucked acid thing and I wanted her to just do stupid noises, there wasn't to be any singing on the track. Just like grunts and moans and pig impersonations. I really wanted to hear Madonna doing a pig impersonation! (laughs) She was sort of into it. Maybe she even would have done it but at the time she was more concerned with her next single. I wasn't really that bothered and I'm sure she wasn't bothered that much either. She'd just be like "Yeah, there's plenty more fish in the sea!"

Interviewer:When was that?

RDJ: Last year. I actually spoke to her quite a bit. I told her about my love life and stuff. I know she fancied Chris (Cunningham) and she wanted to shag him and he didn't fancy her at all. (laughs) I think she was a bit pissed off that she couldn't have him. Usually she can probably get everyone that she wants. She also came to one of our RePHlex Records nights in London. But it was very intimidating because she had her bodyguards with her. I was going like: "You don't need those in here because no one is going to hassle you." The bodyguards weren't aways around her but they were always watching and you can't really have a conversation like that.

Interviewer:Did you have any other pop star visitors at your parties?

RDJ:Kylie (Minogue) came to Rephresh (RephlexOE party night in London) as well. She knows (Warp DJ) Russell Haswell and he really likes her and was trying to shag her for ages. So she came to our party and all my mates were trying to get off with her. And one of my mates who usually only gets off with dodgy birds was dancing with her and feeling her arse up and she was really into it. And this other friend of mine was videoing everything. It was wicked. She also did the lights for about an hour while I was djing.

Interviewer: Why did you turn down Björk? Björk was also on Tom's (Jenkinson) case. She's been on everyone's case. She also did some stuff with Bogdan (Raczynski). He was going to do a track on her album and they didn't use it. They were quite sort of crafty and business. They just wanted to give him ten percent but I think if you work with someone you should always get fifty percent. It doesn't seem very respectful. But she doesn't get involved with that stuff [the legal aspects] she has people doing it for her in case it goes wrong. It's a bit sad in some ways. I mean she wants to work with the people she likes but at the same time she's really obsessed with "this is the newest thing", you know "goldfish memory". For some reason people always think that the best things are the most recent things.

Interviewer: I'm actually quite surprised that Björk wanted to work with you. I would have thought that you are too established for her.

RDJ: (laughing) Yeah, that's what I thought. I mean she's also worked with other old people like that string quartet and stuff like that. And they are not famous. If I really wanted to work with her I could make it happen but I'm not really that bothered. If I'd work with singers I'd rather work with someone no one has ever heard of. Like opera singers or things like that.

Interviewer: Wouldn't you be interested in doing something with Björk the musician rather then with only Björk the vocalist.

RDJ: Oh yeah. I always tell her that anyway. I always say to her: "I don't understand why you get all these people you should just do it by yourself." And she's been trying. She got her laptop and everything. Maybe she will do that when she's really old and everyone thinks that she's not pretty anymore. I think then she'll have to do it. Because then she won't be able to get all the little techno boys to work with her because they will be like "Björk? Oh yeah, you mean that old woman. I'm not going to work for her!" At the moment she can just phone them up, talk some Icelandic and they will be willing to do everything. ... With Björk she's really business when it come to things like that. When you deal with Björk she's like: "Ok, I'm going to fax you the details and you are going to send me that..." If I'm going to do a track with someone I'd have to be their friend. I'd have to spend some time with them and you'd have to come around my house and drink fifty cups of tea and smoke some spliffs and get pissed. You can't just send me the track. That's really cold and I think she didn't really understand because she has done it that way all her life. I think she has forgotten how to relate to people.

Interviewer: But you have worked with musicians as well in the past that you didn't really know.

RDJ: Yeah, but only with remixes and that was just to get some money. And that's not really like working with someone either.

Interviewer: You've mentioned in the past that the only to people you'd really like to work with were Tom Jenkinson and Luke Vibert. Are you still planning to do more with them?

RDJ: Tom's difficult because he's insane. He just disappears. I just think he's gone mad at the moment actually. So I haven't spoke to him for a month. We haven't even worked out the name of our record label. MEN is only the catalog number. He just cancelled his US tour. His brain is switching all the time. He says one thing and does another. He'd totally do your head in as a friend because he would be around your house every day and then you wouldn't see him for three months and neither will anyone else. At the moment I'm actually quite worried about him because I don't know anyone who spoke to him recently.

Interviewer: But do you still want to make music together?

RDJ: Yeah, but we haven't been using the same equipment and we're trying to get on the same program so it's been impossible to do some tracks together. But in the next six months me, Tom and Luke will do tracks on the internet together from our houses.

Interviewer: You seem to spend a lot of time online.

RDJ: I bought like 3000 CDs in the last 12 months all online. I got all the mailorder companies like Amazon in one email folder. I'll just get the CD put it on the laptop get two tracks off an album and then sell the CD.(laughs) I phoned up a record shop and they just send someone round to get the CDs, so I don't even have to take them to the shop.

Interviewer: What are the last three CDs that you bought?

RDJ: Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music", some Jungle CD and a Kraftwork bootleg.

Interviewer: Do you get on well with your postman?

RDJ: They fucking hate me. They really hate me! They never ring my door bell,they always put the cards through. There are always boxes of shit so I have to go down to the post office to get them all the time.

Interviewer: Are there any new artists that you¹d like to recommend?

RDJ: My favourite artist at the moment is Ceephax Acid Crew. It's Andy Jenkinson, Tom Jenkinson's brother. It's fucking wicked. It's funny because if people ask me "So, who's going to be the next big star of electronic music?", I always say him. But he only does a new track like every three months or so. I'm his biggest fan and I'm always raving upfront at all his gigs.

Interviewer: Is it true that you've recorded material in the past that has come out under other people's names?

RDJ: I've done other tracks for commercial things but no one has ever worked them out. Oh and Squarepusher, that's me. (laughs)

Guest Jólasveinar

I'm very up-to-date when it comes to Björk. She is indeed recording a new album, but as far as i know there was no mention of Richard... only some more mainstream producers/musicians so far.

And i disagree with some of the comments, i think she can sound rather good on top of Warp-flock beats. She did the vocals for "Lilith" by Plaid, and several tracks with LFO. As for Matmos, they co-produced her album Vespertine. All of these sound excellent, i'd say...

Guest M83J01P97

The new Bjork album is (according to a recent Sigur Ros tour diary comment) going to feature a full band and be a more 'traditional' record inspired by Icelandic poems, the bassist from Sigur Ros will feature on the album.

Guest Jólasveinar
The new Bjork album is (according to a recent Sigur Ros tour diary comment) going to feature a full band and be a more 'traditional' record inspired by Icelandic poems, the bassist from Sigur Ros will feature on the album.

Are you sure about this? Coz i just searched thru their tour diary page and didn't find that...

Guest Wall Bird

RDJ: Tom's difficult because he's insane. He just disappears. I just think he's gone mad at the moment actually. So I haven't spoke to him for a month.

I found that really amusing.

I thought that was a good interview, by the way. Thanks for the post.

honestly how else is AFX going to get the massive MTV style attention that he deserves?

he already has, at least in teh USA anyways (and i'd figure he'd have more airplay over in teh UK at hte time).. there was a program on mid-days on mtv weekdays back around 1997-98 called "twelve angry viewers" i believe. welp the come to daddy video was brand new and got played on the show, which had a format of the aforementioned 12 viewers who would vote on a selection of 4 or 5 videos and crown a daily champion,which would return the next day and be tossed into the mix with 3 or 4 other videos, same process and so on and so forth.

welp if memory serves, the come to daddy video swept a whole week i think (or whatever the maximum time they'd give a reigning video)... the comments i remember from the viewers were usually like "man that video was just so... twisted and wrong.. i've gotta vote for it" like it was just so radical compared to the usual lot that it always piqued the panel.

around the time mtv had a show called "amp" that played electronic music videos of the day (i remember the leftfield cunningham video, of course stuff like firestarter, hell i think there was an orb video...) and eventually put out a 12" comp called amp which had girl/boy song and i think one squarepusher track, i want to say either come on my selector (most likely) or even problem child.

by the time the windowlicker video came out the 12 angry viewers program was gone and i never remember seeing windowlicker on mtv, tho i think come on my selector's video made it in once or twice where i'd remember hitting the channel at the end of hte video. oh and the commerical for the video music awards used come on my selector's bass guitar part as background music in i believe 1998, and some fast inc show had b0c's dayvan cowboy.

thank you and good night

Guest M83J01P97

Are you sure about this? Coz i just searched thru their tour diary page and didn't find that...

The tour diary on their website isn't written by them, it's their manager. The newsletter diary you get from EMI has short diary entries from the band.

Guest Jólasveinar

Anyways, Bjork said that it was all a reporters' vicious canard.

Here's her 5 cents on it:

me and richard have talked sometimes about working together , since 95 , but it has never happened , i guess he has suggested couple of times we do something and i couple of times but sometimes it is not about literally doing stuff , it is more a mutual support that is more important . i personally don´t think richard´s music needs vocals , it seems perfect as it is .

he came to my show in tokyo last night and it was great to see him . he told me earlier that in that german article he was misquoted .

i personlly think it is obviously a misquote because he knows how i work , we have several mutual friends i have worked with and it is everything but a "business affair" . most of the people i work with become family , matmos and me moved to manhattan and spent 8 months together before the tour just to prepare the beats for it . i find it very hard to work with people i don´t know well , if you look on the credit list of my album it is the same people over and over again .

i probably shouldn´t defend myself here but i was a little hurt because this was so untrue . but sometimes journalist on purpose frase questions and then edit the answers in a way that they want conflict between musicmakers . probably negative drama stuff will sell their papers better . which is a shame .

anyway

i´ll breath deeply and stop moaning .

thanks for listening ...

(4um.bjork.com, 06-12-2001)

Archived