IGNORED

Aphex's gear

BCM

Aphex has a shitload of stuff. I know for a fact he owns a synthi 100 and yamaha gx-1. Thats 150k usd right there. Thats just the beginning. I have suspicions that he makes music for top 40 anonymously. Maybe as a producer. He has such a signature sound, but maybe he knows how to make his stuff shitty enough for the radio.

Guest AlexPallas
I have suspicions that he makes music for top 40 anonymously.

he stated that in an interview, personally i think both of you are full of shit.

but just for laughs, what top 40 do you think he has produced?

I have no idea. He might also make a shitload playing live gigs. I don't know though. I don't see how he could make much from album sales though. Who knows

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

i suspect it might be oscillating.

or sitting in a lenin-grade display case. depends on who bought it.

he got most of his money from the pirrelli advert - £100,000 plus for that, he's also done that Merc advert recently and probably a couple more.

i think the Top40 rumour's just an aphexism - ie not actually true.

• 3 weeks later...

1313014628_l.jpg

What is your favourite gadget?

Oh it would have to be this endoscope I got from LOOT a couple of years ago,it had ,had a fair bit of use mind you but its a one off model which can go inside your brain via your nostrils and tickle different regions of your body automatically,its got a USB connection and came bundled with some MAC software,its got a neuro reciever on one bit which can directly pick up various thoughts and signals that happen to be flying around whatever region you happen to be poking,it's so cool man.

Guest joshier

seriously, even when we do have computers we can control with out minds, what makes people think they can do things faster than using their hands from a standard mouse?

To be honest, I see eye-coordination (as in, you look at a knob on the screen then turn it with the control you have in your hand) the way forward.

Sure, I could think of converting a wave file to 16bit quickly, or time stretching it just for the computer to pick up that brain signal and then do it, but seriously, our hands react to the speed of thought, and especially our eye movements.

I think connecting a computer to brain thought signal would be a bit messy, I mean, I know for a fact that the prototype of this mechanism (which isn't all that advanced yet) still takes training... bit like riding a bike.

I also know for a fact that some companies are developing a eye-coordination so that wherever you look, the mouse cursor goes.

Now, picture this, in front of you is a big lcd super high resolution screen... each section of the screen enables you to do many commands with the wave file / sequencing... you get used to the layout from doing it over and over again, and in your hand is the tactical feel of a knob / slider + button, you then click with your finger when your eye is over the current tool you want to use...

I seriously reckon you wouldn't even need any of that brain computer interface shit when you have eye movements that are the speed of natural thought, and plus it wouldn't be as intrusive or use for abuse that a BCI would have.

You know what?.. you bastards better not copy this idea, I've already trademarked it bitches! Nah I'm only kidding, and yes, it will be awesome when this does come to the shelves (the eye coordination thing) because seriously man, it'll be just as good and as fast as the brain computer interface, I'm telling you.

On the day that the product is available ( I'll give it 5 years ) I'm going to be like POW POW POW and be making tunes so fucking quickly, well no, scrap that, not tunes necessarily, rather the edits / mastering / effects etc, as I'll still prefer to use the feel of the keyboard to play melodies.

Guest Jimbob
seriously, even when we do have computers we can control with out minds, what makes people think they can do things faster than using their hands from a standard mouse?

To be honest, I see eye-coordination (as in, you look at a knob on the screen then turn it with the control you have in your hand) the way forward.

Sure, I could think of converting a wave file to 16bit quickly, or time stretching it just for the computer to pick up that brain signal and then do it, but seriously, our hands react to the speed of thought, and especially our eye movements.

I think connecting a computer to brain thought signal would be a bit messy, I mean, I know for a fact that the prototype of this mechanism (which isn't all that advanced yet) still takes training... bit like riding a bike.

I also know for a fact that some companies are developing a eye-coordination so that wherever you look, the mouse cursor goes.

Now, picture this, in front of you is a big lcd super high resolution screen... each section of the screen enables you to do many commands with the wave file / sequencing... you get used to the layout from doing it over and over again, and in your hand is the tactical feel of a knob / slider + button, you then click with your finger when your eye is over the current tool you want to use...

I seriously reckon you wouldn't even need any of that brain computer interface shit when you have eye movements that are the speed of natural thought, and plus it wouldn't be as intrusive or use for abuse that a BCI would have.

You know what?.. you bastards better not copy this idea, I've already trademarked it bitches! Nah I'm only kidding, and yes, it will be awesome when this does come to the shelves (the eye coordination thing) because seriously man, it'll be just as good and as fast as the brain computer interface, I'm telling you.

On the day that the product is available ( I'll give it 5 years ) I'm going to be like POW POW POW and be making tunes so fucking quickly, well no, scrap that, not tunes necessarily, rather the edits / mastering / effects etc, as I'll still prefer to use the feel of the keyboard to play melodies.

i was listening to some techy show on radio 4 and they had something to read the brain signals and turn it into sound. someone was making some crazy slide guitar noise, the rest was pretty obscure. so the technology isn't too far away.

one of those would be SICKKK for making drum lines though....i'd happily sell a kidney or two.

the first "resynthesizer" i think?

yeah i'd stab someone for one of those

fuck the fairlight, though - i'd prefer one of these:

Synclavier1_JB.jpg

Archived