IGNORED

Beak - Bishop Whitney EP

Fred McGriff

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally fucking awesome. The tracks are a bit on the short side, but that seems more signature Beak to me. I have always been a big fan of your style. It's 100% unique, which is something really special in modern electronic music. You got talent, kid. Here's to some musical fat cat realizing it at some point down the road.

PS We should totally collab some time.

kirby.jpg

Yeah, I was wrong.........

Not sure if yankees would like this though, so maybe you should come back down souph.........

Nah, they would love it, even if they are a bunch of rude, chowda drinkin', frost biting, knuckle-head jerkies!

Great work my man....

What's next???

Akkad

Guest Fat Roland

I really like this, Fredders. Busy, melodic, nice and glitchy. I'm gonna blog aboot it. (Couldn't dl the third track though, tried the three links, got a 404.)

403301228_edcd3cec80_o.jpg

sorry it's taken so long to poke me head in here, but have to say been loving this since good ol mr beak sent me a preview zip of the ep some months ago (can't remember if it was pre or post new year..?)

Especially like Essines Hair and Buggy Ride, though not given it nearly enough attention on the whole. Eager to hear more in the form of latest demo material...

Still can't help bu wonder what would come out of the McGriff brain if he chose to sit down and learn to work a big-box sequencer rather than limit himself with Goldwave.

The mind boggles.

Someone get this man an engineer!

Fred's editting skills are apparently amazing if he is only using Goldwave....

Why should he use Max/MSP?

or any other crazy complex program if he do what he wants with just one program....

pretty fucking incredible I think........

sounds just as good as what I here from most people using Logic, Renoise, Reason, Cubase, ProTools, etc....

it's the artist not the equipment that makes the music...

becoming the program or machine is essential and Fred is a Goldwave!

you know fine well what i mean.

if a painter can create a masterpeice with nothing more than charcoal and cloth, heavens knows where he could take his output armed with the roof of the cistine chapel and a whole spectrum of colour and brushes..

you don't need to give it the old "it's not about the tools it's about the musician" line just to sound all arty farty.

give the man unlimited powers and the man will create unlimited genius.

there's probably things in his head that are harder to communicate into sound and music than if he had more user friendly, powerful or simply more capable tools.

don't fucking argue with me - i have a headache and i feel ill today. ;-)

wonder what Fred has to say about this?

recording rocks hitting each other with cheap microphones can be brilliant if done right.........

No arguing just simple facts man.......

It's all in how you use something.......

Jake Mandell, Richard Devine, Venetian Snares and Autechre can make the most complex music in the world with their massive knowledge of programs and programming, and sometimes, some tracks fall flat......

then you have Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Ceephax, Pole, etc, using one machine on some of their most amazing tracks, granted they know more about programming then Fred or most of us do....

Fred hasn't been doing this for as long as they have and he is still pushing the envelope.....

there are no rules, only helpful suggestions.....

a broad working knowledge of several programs is a good thing, but it would change Beak's sound, which he already has a distinct one, and it is due to the way he makes his tunes.......

if he were to change his way of making them then he might lose a bit of his sound.....

chime in Fred!

and stop telling people how you make your music!

just say you use 'Live' and most people will believe you.......

chiming in here.

the thing with wave editors too is that it's just like a blank canvas... you can use it in any way you want. you aren't working with "the grid" and you can't really help with coming up with your own sound... no grid, no vsts, no set way of doing things

yeah this is pretty much how i feel about goldwave. i like the feeling of control i have over my sound, i feel like a sculptor. there's nothing better than when you start a new song and you have nothing in the folder you've created, and you've just opened up a blank wav file. that being said, i dont know much about "big box sequencers," so i cant really speak to how that would effect my music. i am interested in learning though, and i'm flattered that ism is curious how expanding my skillset would effect my sound. but i dont really believe that wav editing with goldwave is in the least bit limiting when it comes to making music. i'm sure there are advantages i can gain the more software and methods i learn, and i'm pretty sure i can use the parts i need and still keep my style. i just need someone to fly out to new haven and teach me! but . . . goldwave is serious business, and i have yet to find any method of music making that i'm more immediately drawn to. sometimes i feel like a lot of the software i've tried sort of filters out a level of hands-on personal touch between you and your canvas. i bet if someone using floops were to smoke DMT they would realize they were using goldwave on the astral plane all along. lol?

but yeah i think i need to learn some new tricks though, and for that reason i can totally appreciate where ism is coming from. who knows maybe i could become more efficient and still keep the same beak sound. that would be nice.

ultimately i think atop's right though i shouldnt really tell how my music is made (and i dont, to most) because maybe then ism wouldnt be wondering "what could be" instead of what is. but for the sake of EKT it's interesting.

thanks for caring you guys

which track were you talking about when you said "i just made my favorite track ever" a while ago?

errrr. :embrassed: it was essines' hair, but i cant say i feel the same way about it anymore. one of those manic moments where you just finish a song after spending too much time on it and you're just ecstatic to be done . . .

ieafs, do you have a specific suggestion for layered wav editing software? that sounds quite intriguing.

don't get me wrong here... i was taking a devil's advocate stance, as opposed to a 'beak isn't very good - maybe he could be, if he tried a sequencer' point of view.

Let me make one thing clear - Beak music is fantastico. Nothing else need be said about it.

It was just a matter for discussion as to where he might take his sound using different tools rather than continuing to eke out the potential of his current tools.

I fully accept the points that you guys have made above about comparisons to other artists who could 'shit a hit' with nothing more than a mic and a few pots and pans... but those statements could always be made. All the same, some people will find their creative horizons exploded by moving from one method to another.

im not exactly sure what goldwave is but

some of my favourite tracks (of mine) have been 90% made in soundforge

i love working with wiggly lines, a pencil and a calculator

once you(me) get the ball rolling it's impossible to not be more creative than when you(me) use sequencers

also...can't remember if ive already stated this in here or akkad's thread but

i would definitely pay REAL MONEY to own this in a hard copy

im not exactly sure what goldwave is but

some of my favourite tracks (of mine) have been 90% made in soundforge

i love working with wiggly lines, a pencil and a calculator

once you(me) get the ball rolling it's impossible to not be more creative than when you(me) use sequencers

also...can't remember if ive already stated this in here or akkad's thread but

i would definitely pay REAL MONEY to own this in a hard copy

goldwave is pretty much a shareware version of soundforge. i use soundforge too but mainly just for the wave hammer and some reverb and whatnot. i'm just used to the goldwave interface a little more.

also send me 20 bucks and i'll burn you a cd of this ep

Archived