IGNORED

pavement

Guest zaphod

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah Wowee Zowee has it's moments...

I don't believe I ever heard the Watery Domestic Ep...but Westing (by Musket and Sextant) has loads of their earlier stuff..

Guest dylangt7
box elder

great tune but i can't quite remember - is that pavement covering the wedding present or vice versa?

the wedding present covered it, which brought it to the attention of the late great John Peel and the rest is history....

everything pavement did was genius.

saw them in embra years ago with gary on drums - one of the best/worst gigs i've been to

gary was a great man

saw them in brixton with sonic youth in about 92

and he was wearing his LUTON TOWN FC KIT which blew my fucking mind (i'm from luton)

Errr IMO slanted&enchanted is much better thann crooked rain^2

not MUCH better

but yes it is.

You're right...

I understand why it's so hard to like Pavement though especially with allmusic reviews like this (for Westing By musket and sextant)

A collection of all of Pavement's low-fidelity early singles and EPs, which feature considerably less melody than Slanted and Enchanted. It's nice to have this rare material on one CD, although the music is defiantly anti-CD. Those who boarded the train with the acclaimed Slanted and Enchanted should catch up on what they've missed.

If anyone knows "Stephen Thomas Erlewine" please give him a good slap and tell him to stop being such a fucking nitwit.

I don't believe I ever heard the Watery Domestic Ep...but Westing (by Musket and Sextant) has loads of their earlier stuff..

oh chen - you will fuckin love it

it's from just after slanted if i remember correctly

wait - what ep is sue me jack on?

Hell fucking yeah.

Delightfully surprised that people here like Malkmus n crew.

I hold w/LOL on his opinions about the opinions of people who prefer S&E vs. CR

I have paritcularly fond memories of Crooked Rain so it's still my favorite. They actually released extended versions of at least SE, CR, and Wowie Zowee with a buttload of bonus tracks (like 25 or some shit) and good booklets.

Good shit - I think there was a sense of unlabored fun that started to become a little lost on the later albums. You could see it in their live performances too, where it seemed like they were becoming disenchanted with the whole business.

Guest dylangt7

oh chen - you will fuckin love it

it's from just after slanted if i remember correctly

wait - what ep is sue me jack on?

TRIGGER CUT.

how can music be defiantly anti cd? what does that even mean?

its one of the lofi-est records ever (along with sebadoh's "the freed man" )

some of it was recorded on a clock radio from the sound of it

but it is excellent

Good shit - I think there was a sense of unlabored fun that started to become a little lost on the later albums. You could see it in their live performances too, where it seemed like they were becoming disenchanted with the whole business.

this sums it up nicely...

LUDD cheers, will dig it up

yes it does, Grave Architecture, Father To A Sister of Thought, ATT, Rattled By The Rush...

great album

Guest dylangt7

Then once you have been schooled in the way of pavement, then and only then proceed to the Silver Jews.

Starlite Walker LP, The natural Bridge ...excetera excetera

"In 1984 I was hospitalised for approaching perfection

slowly screwing my way accross Europe, they had to make a correction"

gary was a great man

saw them in brixton with sonic youth in about 92

and he was wearing his LUTON TOWN FC KIT which blew my fucking mind (i'm from luton)

i didn't get to see them until the post-Gary period, unfortunately, but I agree that he was the man. he was fucking great in the Slow Century dvd. love the story about pulling a gun in their van.

favorite malkmus lyric:

"Pardon my birth, I just slipped out.

Origins I can't brag about."

Then once you have been schooled in the way of pavement, then and only then proceed to the Silver Jews.

Starlite Walker LP, The natural Bridge ...excetera excetera

"In 1984 I was hospitalised for approaching perfection

slowly screwing my way accross Europe, they had to make a correction"

well this is a whole different discussion entirely.

you can't start quoting silver jews lyrics in a pavement thread because there are too many great ones and it will take over the whole thread. but yeah, American Water is probably one of the greatest American rock records ever recorded. dc berman is a fucking genius. Not a genius in the he writes really good music way, but a legitimate fucking genius.

Guest Jase Space

The deluxe reissue of Slanted & Enchanted has the Watery Domestic EP on it as well as loads of unreleased material and a booklet of pictures. It's fucking amazing.

As a side note - I passed off some of Malkmus's lyrics as my own poetry - 'Texas Never Whispers' from the 'Watery Domestic' EP was the central piece - as part of my Creative Writing coursework for my degree. I was a stoner, couldn't be arsed to do it myself. I got 86%!

Steve Malkmus is a legend.

The guitar sound in the intro to 'Texas Never Whispers ' blows my mind, every time I hear it.

As a side note - I passed off some of Malkmus's lyrics as my own poetry - 'Texas Never Whispers' from the 'Watery Domestic' EP was the central piece - as part of my Creative Writing coursework for my degree. I was a stoner, couldn't be arsed to do it myself. I got 86%!

that's pretty weak dude

Guest zaphod

i've owned the slanted and enchanted redux thing since it was released, listened to it a few times. i don't hate this music at all, but it just passes over me without leaving any impression at all. is that normal for this band? do i need to really sit down and listen a few times to get into it? i don't think i'm being willfully stubborn here because i've actually heard the album a number of times, it's just really boring. is this one of those bands that i have to pretend it's the early nineties and this is groundbreaking music for the time, or can it stand on its own?

i'm listening to it as i type this and...nothing. with the soft bulletin i can atleast see where someone would think "wow, great sound here" but this is just...so fucking bland. i'm basically making these threads because there's a lot of bands i've never liked but would like to come to terms with. sonic youth is next.

Guest dylangt7
The guitar sound in the intro to 'Texas Never Whispers ' blows my mind, every time I hear it.

as does the intro guitar to grounded, if I had the equipment, I've always wanted to loop it forever or make another track entirely out of it, it just gets me every time.

"apparently" Jennifer Anniston walked done the Aisle to Grounded as shes a big fan.

but as we are trying to sell the band here I edit that bit out later.

Guest Jase Space

that's pretty weak dude

Yeah, it is. Can't argue with that.

Zaphod dude..if it bores you, it bores you...

It could be about context, I got into them about 94...was that when S&E came out? yeah i think so...then I heard Westing by Musket and Sextant and it blew my mind...in a totally different way from Aphex...

but just cause you know, a bunch of people liek this shit, doesn't mean you have to either..

if you don't like Sonic Youth...I mean...

Guest dylangt7

i think i agree, pavement are most probaly of a time and a place.

I know a lot of people feel strongly about this band, but most if not all were early fans.

Archived