IGNORED

forcing a paradigm shift

kaini

i just uninstalled buzz, and deleted every buzz file on my pc, because i think it was limiting me.

probably move to floops and audiomulch for the time being. but is forcing such a shift in attitude a good thing?

yeah I think so. It can be slow at first, but many times you'll end up being a better musician by the end of it. I did something similar a few years back. (from Buzz to energyXT).

I never have the balls to delete anything though haha, I just go grab something else and play with it for a while. I think Autechre or someone said that the first thing you do with any new gear/sequencer/environment will be absolute shit so you have to bear that in mind when evaluating something.

Ive thought about it alot too, and Im convinced that, for me anyway, a paradigm shift in sound generation is great stuff, but I either click with a sequencer or I don't, I can't stand an environment Im not comfortable in. It doesn't make me more creative, it just makes me frustrated and dejected.

even though i haven't finished a track in 2 years now, i would _never_ uninstall Buzz. I just keep telling myself that one day i'll finish those 673 concepts hanging around in my "unfinished" dir :)

FL just doesn't seem a good alternative to Buzz, imo.

PS some more or less finished stuff on link below.

Guest 277: 930-933

Yeah it's halped me in the past, it's like eating steak everyday.

PS selemat datang di utreg!

i just uninstalled buzz, and deleted every buzz file on my pc, because i think it was limiting me.

Buzz limiting, what crazy talk is this ?! To be honest I can't see me moving away from Buzz for a very long time (aside from shifting to Buzé when it becomes a little more stable.

I don't think paradigm shifts are bad however I think they could potentially be an inevitability if you force yourself within the boundaries of one host sequencer vs another.

At one point I considered myself a Buzz power user and since then have moved on to try many different hosts and studio arrangements, and the one thing I've learnt is they will all have nuances and inconsistence to your idealistic work flow. Some things are better then others for different things. I think its best to just explore and learn as much as possible, in the end its all going to help in one way or another.

As a result I still use Buzz for certain things such as when I'm trying to save system resources or for drum programming but will typically record it into something else.

Guest panga

i bought a bass guitar a little while ago to change the way i think about stuff.

you know, so i can learn how to make music before i destroy it. i think that buzz just presents you with too many options... you get swamped.

might stop using my pc altogether, get an old akai s950, hook it to my drum module and an atari and use that for a little while.

too many options and ill never get anything finished at this rate.

i bought a bass guitar a little while ago to change the way i think about stuff.

you know, so i can learn how to make music before i destroy it. i think that buzz just presents you with too many options... you get swamped.

might stop using my pc altogether, get an old akai s950, hook it to my drum module and an atari and use that for a little while.

too many options and ill never get anything finished at this rate.

That's a good idea actually, it has worked for me. I've recently completely changed the way I write music, stripping it back to almost entirely live recording, but still to a clicktrack so I can add electronic stuff later if I want. My songs have turned out better too, it's a more involved process but it's more rewarding, I think. Especially when all of the melodies come from a guitar and a piano.

Guest awkward

i deleted buzz too about 3-6months ago now. got a copy of abelton live and started learning how to use it. i felt like i wasn't using buzz to its ful potential. all i was doing was loading samples and writing beats, melodies and ignoring all the boxes really. i certainly write very loopy music so abelton seemed a good idea. its been a slow process an i haven't finished a proper track in abelton yet. i really hate the arrangment window so usually i'm recording everythign out and layering it in adobe audition which is not perfect but does the job. its certainly not a great way of workiing and i'm struggling to finish anything. but also i am spending way less time than before. when i first got buzz i had made an entire ep before i even realisd where the no-sharp notes where on the (pc)keyboard.

so was it a good idea? hard to say. i like everything about abelton except the arrangment window. i'm gonna stick with it for now

Archived