IGNORED

Freakin Early Nineties appreciation

Guest Rook

Man lately all my RDJ listening time is spent with the pre-1994 stuff. When I first got into RDJ I liked the earliest stuff least but now I am spinning it buckwild yo. I love the simple but heavily tweakified drum programming on the classics stuff. I have had We Have Arrived on over and over again the past week. There isn't a song off classics I dont like. I mean obviously no one needs to mention Digeridoo or polynomial C right? But what about Metapharstic and Tamphex? I mean pure testosterone dudes.

Supremacy II has been driving me crazy with those tweaked to shiz cymbals. And you can really hear how Portreath Harbour influenced Chris Clark. And I love those synth sounds on Polygon Window.

I prefer Classics and Polygon Window to any of the other early Aphex, including SAW I.

Anyone else share my fascination?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With you, Rook. Polygon Window is quite the shit; I fucking love Quixote, along with Polygon Window and the untitled track.

But fuck it, you can't beat Caustic Window, where there isn't anything weak IMO. Astroblaster, R2D2, fuck it, all of it's amazing.

And for some reason I've found myself digging up Digeridoo for the first time in ages. Phloam, too.

I'm a twat. How could I forget AB3? Also shit-hot.

*further hi five action*

When I read LUDD's post now I hear Richard Whiteley in my head. Dictionary corner could have been so different...

I'm also quite on the old stuff in this moment.

Tracks such Quixote or Audax Powder rule, and Classics are really amazing.

I prefer Phloam and Tamphex than Digeridoo or Polynomial C (but it don't mean I don't find them uncredible ;-), those two tracks are purely rushes.

But nothing will replace SAW 85-92, I simply need it in the bed to fall in a good and deep sleep.

There will never be said enough about the goodness of this album.

Guest Helper ET
xtal and tha are his best tracks ever.

I swear to God I've seen you say that like 10 times now, eheheh

tha is a contender for sure, xtal......to call it his best work to date.......is kind of like saying drukqs sucks.

xtal and tha are his best tracks ever.

I swear to God I've seen you say that like 10 times now, eheheh

tha is a contender for sure, xtal......to call it his best work to date.......is kind of like saying drukqs sucks.

frankly, while drukqs is technically mindblowing, and i listened to it avidly when i bought it...

i never listen to it anymore.

saw 1, all the time. drukqs... never.

same goes for analord.... appreciate the technical and musical brilliance... just don't really feel it.

and i'll state my opinion... ten times if the question is asked because it's my opinion.

anyways... three times max you've read that, because i checked.

actually, there's one on saw 2 that does it for me just as much, but i don't know track "names", track order, even what side it's on.

because i own a copy, and have never had the sleevenotes.

piracy is awesome.

everyone listen to redruth school followed by the untitled track.

*high fives in rhythm while shaking booty.*

I actually just did this, and it was rather nice. I added 'Portreath Harbour' on the end though, and rhythm and booty-shaking were sadly beyond me. Another *hi-5* though.

Guest Helper ET
and i'll state my opinion... ten times if the question is asked because it's my opinion.

no i'm sorry, there is a limit of up to 10 times you are allowed to state an opinion. after that, you must change your opinion, or remain silent. rules are rules, I didn't write em...

actually, there's one on saw 2 that does it for me just as much, but i don't know track "names", track order, even what side it's on.

because i own a copy, and have never had the sleevenotes.

I predict either:

Cliffs (disk 1, track1)

Rhubarb (disk 1, track 3)

Blue Calx (disk 2, track1)

Lichen (disk 2, track 8

Did I do good?

Surfing On Sine Waves is my favorite album of all time, pushing Loveless by MBV out of first place.

Audax Powder, unspeakably good. Does anyone have any idea what synth (or whatever) is used in [ ]? I've called it the zipper because I can't think of any more fit.

i know the one loganfive is talking about... i remember because no-one ever notices it except me... and him/her.

track 6 on CD2 or E1 on the vinyl version... with the delayed percussion.

Yes, Hexagon is its unofficial name. Its very SAW 85-92 in style, a really nice oriental style melody. One of my favorite Aphex tracks too.

Portreath Harbour is definitely in my top 5 Aphex tracks. Its the wierdest place too, went surfing there on the coldest day last winter. Sat in the car with a few mates afterwards blaring the track out as the sun went down. Aphex sound all the sweeter backed by the Cornish countryside.

Portreath Harbour is definitely in my top 5 Aphex tracks. Its the wierdest place too, went surfing there on the coldest day last winter. Sat in the car with a few mates afterwards blaring the track out as the sun went down. Aphex sound all the sweeter backed by the Cornish countryside.

yea gotta love those "on" type sounding synths.

Edit: *High Five*

Archived