IGNORED

Freakin Early Nineties appreciation

Guest Rook

Guest Caustic

I was literally shaking booty to Polygon Window (the track) a few minutes ago.

It's just so damn funky. I cant help but dance.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kenneth172

Early 90s 'techno/electronica' rocked... Polygon Window still does. Tuss is over-rated tho IMHO yet it bears repeated listening a lot more than most dross released nowadays. The Analord series is still really listenable.

Guest Kenneth172

Says Brian - Lord of the trolls!

Actually 95% of the Analord series is pretty darn miserable. Why is that so? Aphex on a downer?

Guest HokusPoker
Actually 95% of the Analord series is pretty darn miserable.

in what sense

You're asking for a SENSE?

Are you serious?

This is WATMM, man!

• 2 months later...

How about those mid 90's eps? Been enjoying those lately. On, Donkey Rhubarb, and Ventolin. I like the boom smash type stuff.

It was my birthday recently and a friend of mine bought me the Digeridoo release on vinyl for me as a present.

All I can say is.. I wish I had a record player :sad: I sold my turntables ages ago and would not have thought I'd get any more vinyls, now I have to buy one to enjoy some freakin early nineties shit with vinyl crackling

Guest AOOproductions

His early stuff I feel is just as brilliant now as than. The simpler his stuff was the more unique it sounded. O and by the way, ANALORDS are some of the best things he ever did.

Supremacy II ftw!!!!!!!!!!!! dow ray me fa so la ti .............................

Guest Needlenose
How about those mid 90's eps? Been enjoying those lately. On, Donkey Rhubarb, and Ventolin. I like the boom smash type stuff.

*hi-fives*

BBOOOOOMM SMASH KTCCKKXX KTXCKKK BOOOOOOM BOOOOOM SMASH KRUT BRUT

BOOOOM BOOOOM BOOOOM BOOOOM SMASHDK BANG BANG BANG SMASH BOOOOOM

The classic Aphex is where it's at! I do love the 2000 and newer stuff, but the old stuff is ALWAYS bangin' stuff. No matter how many years and countless times I've listened to these tracks they never get old, especially the older tracks! Some of it does still sound very fresh, and has stood the test of time thus far.

love the older stuff. when i think about it i almost group it as early aphex = completely different artist, music anyway.

i need to buy caustic window comp vinyl. yes indeed!

Guest Kenneth172
Man lately all my RDJ listening time is spent with the pre-1994 stuff. When I first got into RDJ I liked the earliest stuff least but now I am spinning it buckwild yo. I love the simple but heavily tweakified drum programming on the classics stuff. I have had We Have Arrived on over and over again the past week. There isn't a song off classics I dont like. I mean obviously no one needs to mention Digeridoo or polynomial C right? But what about Metapharstic and Tamphex? I mean pure testosterone dudes.

Supremacy II has been driving me crazy with those tweaked to shiz cymbals. And you can really hear how Portreath Harbour influenced Chris Clark. And I love those synth sounds on Polygon Window.

I prefer Classics and Polygon Window to any of the other early Aphex, including SAW I.

Anyone else share my fascination?

I'm with you on this Rook. A lot of the classic stuff comes from the early 90s... Loads of good releases back then like the early Warp and Rephlex stuff. Dunno wtf's going wrong, stuff just isn't as good nowadays.

Guest Needlenose
lately i've been digging GAK and HAB

i'd have to say early aphex is my fav aphex

i'd say that HAB is the boundary between early aphex and later aphex

gak counts, the tracks were all recorded sometime before 1990

Yea, HAB and RDJ don't sound like early Aphex to me. Early Aphex is Caustic Window, Polygon Window, Classics, and the bangin parts of ICBYD and ON and Donkey Rhubarb and Ventolin and On remixes and Analogue Bubblebaths. I don't even think of SAW I and II as early Aphex because they just sound so different from what I think of when I hear "early Aphex". I mean bang bang smash with analogue stuff. HAB and RDJ are drill drill. Not bang bang.

Says Brian - Lord of the trolls!

Actually 95% of the Analord series is pretty darn miserable. Why is that so? Aphex on a downer?

whilst on my last analord binge, i came to the same conclusion. these do seem to have a pervading feeling of depression.

Archived