IGNORED

Reason 4

Guest Deslouriers

Guest Deslouriers

I didn't see a topic for this without scrolling down, so I figured I'd be the n00b I'm entitled to be and just start one anyway.

I just found out about the release of Reason 4 yesterday and have since done some research on it.

The only thing that I can see that is a major upgrade is the sequencer. I don't know how many of you find it useful, but it's a blessing that they've finally added in the ability to map out tempo changes and time signature changes. IMO, you can't make a real electronic music track without at least 9 time sig changes and 64,582 tempo changes. So this will help out quite a bit in this respect. Previously the only way to do this was through a rewire host, and even then the time ruler in Reason would become completely meaningless, thereby making sequencing notes in Reason completely impossible. But.. I never sequenced notes in reason anyway because the sequencer with respect to notes was such a joke.

Also nice is the fact that you can have multiple note tracks in one lane, thereby supposedly letting you see/edit more than one note track at a time. I hated trying to create several parts that I wanted to harmonize together, only to have to switch back and forth between tracks to remember what my addled (read: stoned) brain had just written on some other track. Hopefully they added a seperate velocity track for each note track, because otherwise they only won half the battle. Trying to make drums sound like have some kind of feel when all the velocities are ovlapping each other because there's several hits at once was very frustrating. Yeah, you could put the hats, say, on a whole different track, but then you couldn't see where the other drums were falling!

Vector automation, improved clip moving functionality and all that shit... a few things that are nicer about the program, but not really necessary. To me anyway.

The new synth looks kinda nice. Anyone use it yet? Kinda seems like they just took parts from all the other stuff in the program and shoved it all in one synth and made it so you can do what you wanted to do before; which is basically control anything from anything. It's a shame they didn't just add the "control anything from anything" to all of the pieces on there. Now that would be nice.

The ReGroove thing... ok, that's nice.

The Arpeggirator... ok, who gives a shit. I've rarely ever used arps, even when readily available.

And that's about it, I guess. Only 4 new things for a release that's been waiting to happen for.. what, three or four years, maybe 5? It's a shame that I'm gonna have to get it anyway, solely for the new sequencer functions.

But anyway, people may say Reason is a shite program, but if I was only allowed one plug-in to my DAW, Reason would definitely be it. I think a lot of people wanted the next version to have Plug-in capability, but if you want that, just rewire into your DAW and have done with it. Having plug-ins inline with your reason effects kind of just seems pointless to me. I guess if you want third-party plug-ins your reason would be either 1) because you think the Reason effects sound like shit (so why don't you just rewire it out) or 2) Reason doesn't have the particular effect you are looking for (in which case, just rewire it out and use your third-party wares, cuz the reason effects sounds like shit anyway!). So yeah, no use complaining there.

So, what do you other peeps think?

eh?

I quite like it. Thor looks interesting, but I havent had a chance to play with it yet.

I never had a problem with the old sequencer but the new one seems nice.

Was dissapointed that the Groove device can't be automated.

Upgrading was pretty cheap.

there is some discussion of R4 also in this thread:

http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?showtopic=26528

Obligatory disclaimer:

Arguing about different platforms is pointless really. Bit like arguing about whether pianos or guitars are 'better'.

All modern music software is pretty good, so people should just work with what they like.

After trying to use it a couple times i gave up and reinstalled reason 3

How the fuck do you work this sequencer? Seems really convoluted. First i have to switch to edit mode and then i have to turn on piano lanes and then i have to draw out the area i want to edit for no reason (lol)?

And where is the initial patch for malstrom? Malstrom is my #1 synth and i can't be fucking arsed to manually reset every goddamn switch on the thing every time i make one.

After trying to use it a couple times i gave up and reinstalled reason 3

How the fuck do you work this sequencer? Seems really convoluted. First i have to switch to edit mode and then i have to turn on piano lanes and then i have to draw out the area i want to edit for no reason (lol)?

And where is the initial patch for malstrom? Malstrom is my #1 synth and i can't be fucking arsed to manually reset every goddamn switch on the thing every time i make one.

right click anywhere on the device and click on initialize patch

aaah thanks guys. Now if i could only figure out the sequencer

the manuals:

http://www.propellerheads.se/download/inde...icle=reason_doc

basically, all notes and events have to be in clips now, you draw the clip first before dropping notes into it. double click a clip to open it for editing

its worth getting your head around it to use Thor! I'm enjoying the Plaid and Two Lone Swordsmen sig patches ...

i've been playing around on the demo for a couple of days. i'm a big reason user (although largely for beats) and i'm really impressed. thor is fat as fuck - it rivals in quality many of the high-end synth vsts like the new jupiter and yet doesn't rinse your CPU. you can get alot of very lush sounds out of it.

the new sequencer interface is better to work with, the envelopes are a nice touch.

swing preset is also pretty damn sweet.

wick.

I guess if you want third-party plug-ins your reason would be either 1) because you think the Reason effects sound like shit (so why don't you just rewire it out) or 2) Reason doesn't have the particular effect you are looking for (in which case, just rewire it out and use your third-party wares, cuz the reason effects sounds like shit anyway!). So yeah, no use complaining there.

there is no excuse for not having 3rd party plugins

rewiring is too much hassle,

i like being able to save my songs in progress as 1 file, not a reason file + another file for another host.

And yes it is a big deal to be forced to work this way. The convenience and open endedness of other programs like Ableton, cubase will assure myself that i will never be using Reason in the future as a sequencer unless they stop being 10 years behind and put the ability for 3rd party plugins in. the built in plugins in Reason are fun, but for each instrument or effect they have, there is am arguably superior one made by another company. So as far as i can see now, the only reason to use reason (HAHAHA GET IT??) is if you like the sound and features of its built in proprietary instruments and like the overly hardworked on patch bay when you reverse the panel.

i dont get it. reason is self contained?

also, since when is pressing ALT-TAB such a hassle? vst support would ruin the flow of reason.. reason is equivalent to reaktor.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Ive used to reason for everything from mixing my bands live instruments and using it as a full on mixing studio to your standard wannabe crazy creative electronic music projects. Music has been incorporated in 99% all of the music ive ever made.

I'm definitely gonna have to download...erhm purchase 4.0. Im pretty excited about the updates.

Guest hahathhat

i find reason very useful as something to run on a spare computer

just leave the sequencing to something that doesn't suck, set it up on a computer with a few channels out, control it via midi. gets you the chance to offload your seq. box a little. particularly handy for sampling IMO

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

What did you get RSN4.0 off a bit torrent? what issues are you having?

I fucking love the sequencer in reason so far(havent used 4.0 yet)I dont know how the hell anyone could have such a problem with it. once your comfortable its an incredibly effecient program in all ways.

I fucking love the sequencer in reason so far(havent used 4.0 yet)I dont know how the hell anyone could have such a problem with it. once your comfortable its an incredibly effecient program in all ways.

i agree whole heartedly. i've never had any problems with earlier versions and 4.0 is pretty wicked. i haven't even begun to tap into v. 4's full potential. i haven't used the arpegiator yet (not too sure how yet...).

Archived