IGNORED

movies. good ones. seriously.

kokoon

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest beatfanatic
Children of Men is one of my favourite films too... wish I had seen it in cinema.

i saw it twice in theatres and about 5 times on dvd

what do you guys think about Dogma 95 movies? i'm just watching The Idiots... i like it quite a lot!

Just watch Festen and Riget/The Kingdom - the original one by Lars Von Trier. It's the only decent thing Lars Von Trier has ever made. The rest of his work is a bunch of crap.

Guest Soothsayer

imo, most(not all) are wonderful

The first one, Festen by Thomas Vinterberg, imo, is the best. The Von Trier is great, too(if ya liked this one, check out Julien Donkey Boy by Harmony Korine, almost as shocking as The Idiots). The one about the two brothers is quite endearing. I even liked the one in the desert where the lost group decides to reinact King Lear(this one was cute).

Squee: Before ya totally write off Von Trier, check out his reworking of Carl th. Dreyer's screenplay for Euripides's "Medea"(one of his very early works, and imo, breathtaking).

I'm not the hugest Von Trier fan(he comes off as quite caustic as a person), and hate some of his films, but he certainly has his moments of greatness(Breaking the Waves is one of the better films of the last 15 years, imo).

Guest Soothsayer

hey, the dude really has been portrayed as a near-sociopath by a lot of folks who worked on his films, so it's understandable...

hey, the dude really has been portrayed as a near-sociopath by a lot of folks who worked on his films, so it's understandable...

Yeah, pretty much everyone who has worked with him or even just been near him don't want to be in the same room as him ever again. Just look at Dogville. People hated him and the video diaries people recorded show just how desperate they were to get the whole thing over with. Rumour has it, and I must say I believe this rumour, that Nicole Kidman refused to do Dogville 2 (which turned out to be Manderlay) because she hated working with Lars von Trier, and instead Bryce Dallas Howard got the dubious honour of being in Manderlay - haha self pwn!

But to be honest, I haven't watched Dancer in the Dark yet, and I really want to.

Guest Soothsayer

Dancer in the Dark is one of his worst films. In some obvious ways, it's different than Dogville, although it does approach the classic stand-by of Von Trier's work(misunderstood outcast becomes an unwitting target of those who look down upon them). The ending of this film is probably the cheapest moment in any Von Trier film(I won't give it away, but you've seen it if you've seen Kieslowski's "A Short Film About Killing" or "Dekalog V").

On the other hand, it is certainly a different work of his(the music and choreography, mainly).

I'd still say Breaking the Waves is a far better film.

and one more thing, Manderlay was always going to be Manderlay, Von Trier had it planned from the start to do a trilogy on America. There wasn't ever a "Dogville 2".

"the kingdom" is the shit! so is "breaking the waves" (most depressing movie ever lol)

i loved "festen" when i saw it but never want to see it again. same with the rest of his movies; it's just too fucking depressing imo

also, fuck björk

Dancer in the Dark is one of his worst films. In some obvious ways, it's different than Dogville, although it does approach the classic stand-by of Von Trier's work(misunderstood outcast becomes an unwitting target of those who look down upon them). The ending of this film is probably the cheapest moment in any Von Trier film(I won't give it away, but you've seen it if you've seen Kieslowski's "A Short Film About Killing" or "Dekalog V").

On the other hand, it is certainly a different work of his(the music and choreography, mainly).

I'd still say Breaking the Waves is a far better film.

and one more thing, Manderlay was always going to be Manderlay, Von Trier had it planned from the start to do a trilogy on America. There wasn't ever a "Dogville 2".

Yeah, I know that Manderlay isn't Dogville 2, hehe. I was actually just spelling it out to those who didn't know... but now that I reread my post I can see how it can be misunderstood :)

Guest Soothsayer

Ahhhh, ok, I see what you're saying. Sorry, long day...

Brian Tregaskin: One small thing...Festen isn't a Von Trier film ;) (it was made by Thomas Vinterberg)

just read this while googling lars von trier:

He is working on a film project called Dimension, starring Udo Kier, taking a 3 minute shot every year around Christmas on different locations all over Europe over a period of 33 years. The project started back in 1991, so its premiere is expected to be in the year 2024.

thats pretty electronic music

Lars%20von%20Trier.jpg

come to trier

Guest Soothsayer

You want electronic music, check his last film, The Boss of it All...all shot on a camera that was controlled by a random computer program. All camera movements are random(electronic music as hell, but also kinda jarring and annoying).

edit: I <3 Udo Kier

i havent seen many dogme 95 films, but i like 'festen' and 'julien donkey boy'. im pretty sure ive seen 'the idiots', as i remember select scenes, but i cant remember the whole thing for some reason. i read a book on dogme 95 a really long time ago that i remember being pretty decent. i think its called 'this film is dogme 95' or something..

lars von trier is a great director. i love 'the element of crime', 'zentropa', 'breaking the waves', 'dancer in the dark' and 'dogville'. i turned 'manderlay' off because it seemed kind of pointless. mightve been the mood i was in. 'the five obstructions' was a fantastic doc. von trier certainly has a perverse side to him but i think thats what makes him a great director. havent seen 'the boss of it all' but i really want to.

i havent seen many dogme 95 films, but i like 'festen' and 'julien donkey boy'. im pretty sure ive seen 'the idiots', as i remember select scenes, but i cant remember the whole thing for some reason. i read a book on dogme 95 a really long time ago that i remember being pretty decent. i think its called 'this film is dogme 95' or something..

lars von trier is a great director. i love 'the element of crime', 'zentropa', 'breaking the waves', 'dancer in the dark' and 'dogville'. i turned 'manderlay' off because it seemed kind of pointless. mightve been the mood i was in. 'the five obstructions' was a fantastic doc. von trier certainly has a perverse side to him but i think thats what makes him a great director. havent seen 'the boss of it all' but i really want to.

The-Boss-of-it-All-Lars-von-Trier.jpg

The Boss of it All

... im pretty sure ive seen 'the idiots', as i remember select scenes, but i cant remember the whole thing for some reason.

yeah.. grubbe knyll! (sp?)

... im pretty sure ive seen 'the idiots', as i remember select scenes, but i cant remember the whole thing for some reason.

yeah.. grubbe knyll! (sp?)

Gruppeknald or Gruppepul

Archived