IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Guest Masonic Boom

Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism by Natasha Walter

If I had any clout I'd make this required reading in every school in the country.

just finishing up glamorama by bret easton ellis. it's the only book other than american psycho that i've read of his, but i really like his writing style, the way he lols at 90s america through a character that takes the scene so seriously. he's also got me writing in run on sentences which i realize is annoying but that seems a better way to describe the mood of his books as the main character is generally thinking about 1000 different things and there's usually a funny bit somewhere in the middle that causes a mini-lol and then something totally or just a little bit unexpected and 3+ famous people later you've just read an entire paragraph.

not sure if i really like it or not, but i don't hate his writing like most of you snobs here, i think he's quite readable. any other bee fans recommend a next book? i've wanted to read rules of attraction for a while, should finally get around to it. i hear bee is a prick so i don't want to read any interviews or anything, kind of ruined the flahblub for me even before i heard his shit, so i was never able to judge him objectively (some is good, but i can't stop thinking of dbag falhbub twittering away how he's really cool while listening to him).

just finishing up glamorama by bret easton ellis. it's the only book other than american psycho that i've read of his, but i really like his writing style, the way he lols at 90s america through a character that takes the scene so seriously. he's also got me writing in run on sentences which i realize is annoying but that seems a better way to describe the mood of his books as the main character is generally thinking about 1000 different things and there's usually a funny bit somewhere in the middle that causes a mini-lol and then something totally or just a little bit unexpected and 3+ famous people later you've just read an entire paragraph.

not sure if i really like it or not, but i don't hate his writing like most of you snobs here, i think he's quite readable. any other bee fans recommend a next book? i've wanted to read rules of attraction for a while, should finally get around to it. i hear bee is a prick so i don't want to read any interviews or anything, kind of ruined the flahblub for me even before i heard his shit, so i was never able to judge him objectively (some is good, but i can't stop thinking of dbag falhbub twittering away how he's really cool while listening to him).

Edited by theSun

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dese manz hatin

J Kerouac - Visions of Cody

Very nice read----even wilder, more richly coloured and inspiring than On The Road

And I just finished re-reading Islands in the Stream and To Have and Have Not (both Hemingway) as well.

Guest Franklin

I'm still reading Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon... it's still a difficult read and I'm not sure I understand it all but there are some kick ass parts and he's one hell of a writer.

this helped me sort some shit out:

http://www.amazon.com/Gravitys-Rainbow-Companion-Contexts-Pynchons/dp/0820310263

incredible book

Thanks again Alsofribas. I'm now re-reading gravity's rainbow (which is fucking killer even though it's extremely dense) along-side the companion book.

also reading Kaplan and Saddocks' Concise Textbook of Clinical Psychiatry. very helpful. And reading Phobic Disorders and Panic in Adults: A Guide to Assessment and Treatment by Antony and Swinson.

Does anybody else read too many books at one time?

Just started readon James Ellroy's conspiracy trilogy with American Tabloid: A Novel

And my non-fiction book is Broca's Brain by Carl Sagan

The current coffee-table book in my house is Glitch: Designing Imperfection

Gordon Wood-The Radicalism of the American Revolution.

great, great book....his predecessor Bernard Bailyn is amazing on the Revolutionary ideology as well.

just finished reading "the things they carried"

didn't really like it.

Really? It sounded good, I was planning on reading this fairly soon.

Any reason why you didn't like it?

i didn't like the way it was written (kinda simplistic) and it didn't leave me with any thought-provoking ideas or feelings. it was too unfocused for me to appreciate, i guess, because it did have some good ideas, they just weren't developed enough...

it's worth a read if you like vietnam stories.

Just finished Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited and enjoyed it very much (I read Vile Bodies beforehand)

And I am about to start The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

And I have about 30 books on my list to read ^_^

just finished reading "the things they carried"

didn't really like it.

Really? It sounded good, I was planning on reading this fairly soon.

Any reason why you didn't like it?

i didn't like the way it was written (kinda simplistic) and it didn't leave me with any thought-provoking ideas or feelings. it was too unfocused for me to appreciate, i guess, because it did have some good ideas, they just weren't developed enough...

it's worth a read if you like vietnam stories.

Turns out this is the required summer reading for my english class next year, so I'll be buying this one anyways. lol.