IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

thanks for letting me off easy LUDD....

anyhow, reading 'Neonomicon' by Moore and it is fucking disgusting, disturbing and not his best work by a mile, the art is quite awesome though if you are a Lovecraft fan.

Too bad, I was looking forward. I love Moore but I haven't loved anything from him for a while.

Edited by baph

anyhow, reading 'Neonomicon' by Moore and it is fucking disgusting, disturbing and not his best work by a mile, the art is quite awesome though if you are a Lovecraft fan.

so youre saying you were offended by it? interesting.. that makes me curious to read it..

I wouldn't say offended, just repulsed at times. It is pretty gross. The art held within is worth the price of admission. I do not think the story is finished either, so I would not be surprised if we get some more. I guess the main disappointment is that he strays from Lovecraft in a sense that is very much uncalled for. I never have thought of Lovecraft as violent in the gory sense. Apparently Moore does. I would love to see more magick in Moore's work, and more cosmic materials in subsequent additions to 'Neonomicon'. Less nastiness, unless it involves the Old Ones destroying everything.

that looks interesting. how is it?

It's good so far. I'm a fan of Simon Reynolds in general.

Lots of it resonates so far - the fracturing of popular culture and identity; the inundation of immediacy of information from the web; obsessive preservation and archiving etc. I've just started reading it, so I'm sure it will get a lot deeper.

It kind of messes with your mind when you find yourself eying some Chicago House box set and whatnot.

i almost bought it yesterday.. but decided to go with terry southerns 'the magic christian' instead. fucking hilarious so far.

the reynolds book will be bought eventually tho.

oh, finished reading boyd rices 'twilight man' the other day. at 100 pages it was way too short, also overpriced, but ill be damned if it wasnt one of the more entertaining and interesting books ive encountered in a while. all about rices (whos otherwise known as an underground musician/noise artist) experience working as an alarm agent for the 'twilight alarm company' in san fransiscos chinatown in the 80s. sick and hilarious stories abound. out of control rat infestations, insane and murderous homeless people and coworkers, building scaling dwarf transvestites etc. one of my favorite bits was an account of experimental filmmaker kenneth angers attempt to get satanic church leader anton levey to watch 'kramer vs kramer' in an effort to help him through his messy divorce. lavey wants nothing to do with it but anger persists, putting the tape in the vcr. lavey then pulls out a gun and holds it to his head saying something like "please ken, dont make me do it." anger then relents and stops the video. lol.

if anyones interested http://heartworm.shopshogun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=114_115&products_id=1468

1Q84.gif

I'm starting this!

So tempted to buy this but my gf insisted I let her dad get it for me for christmas, so alas I will wait. Enjoying the new Neal Stephenson though so it's cool.

you'll find some echo, i've no doubt about it.

I put Ficciones on hold to start 1Q84, and a little more than 100 pgs in, I'm not really head over heels for it yet. Is it just me, or is Murakami:

1. In need of an editor this time around, and/or

2. Purposefully laying his own style on pretty heavily (everything is indelicately labeled mysterious or weird)?

I'm really not far enough into the book to confirm my conclusions, but I'm still on the fence.

...But anyway, I then put 1Q84 on hold to return to this:

SLjUB.jpg

Which in itself is very light, armchair scientist reading stuff—better for lazy rather than analytical reading. And I'd finished it before, but upon racking my brain to come up with a good idea for motion graphic design piece(s), the series of postulated questions in this book seem like good source material for an informational animation, so we'll see whether that pans out.

Finally! Stupid school is over for 2 months! Yay! Now I'll have the time to read more H.P Lovecraft stories and Foucalt's Pendulum , which is a beast! ^^

FoucaultsPendulum.jpg

Edited by logakght

Finally! Stupid school is over for 2 months! Yay! Now I'll have the time to read more H.P Lovecraft stories and Foucalt's Pendulum , which is a beast! ^^

FoucaultsPendulum.jpg

re: avatar - i forgot whatsherface was in that movie. she was so goddamned hot in that movie. good book btw.