IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Less Than Zero

bored now. least its short.

finished at did not enjoy. nothing happened

I think there's a lot happening.... Anyways, that's BEE's style. You gotta hand it to the man for being only 21 when he wrote it--he had every publisher courting him afterwards. So I guess something happened

i think he was 19. and in that respect yes its well written. i just expected more. the wiki page actually makes it sound interesting but reading it i didnt enjoy it. it was like a big build up to a big nothing.

anyway onwards to rules of attraction

i read that he was planning an american psycho sequel book next. he loves revisiting his characters. via twitter

exactly...?

lol

are you reading that for fun or for study?

For study. Required class towards my degree =(

It has to be one of the most wordy, difficult to read books I've ever had to read. Every second line is a citation or new concept.

:cry:

lol

are you reading that for fun or for study?

For study. Required class towards my degree =(

It has to be one of the most wordy, difficult to read books I've ever had to read. Every second line is a citation or new concept.

:cry:

what class/degree is it for? (if you don't mind me asking)

I got my uni to order about 30 books (woot) and this was one of them:

Events-3_Networks-spotlight.jpg

^ just arrived

Edited by verticalhold

^ just arrived

Nice!

The class is called mediated interpersonal communication (same title as the book).

It's a required course for me to finish my BBA-Economics/Finance.

It's all about computer mediated communication and all of the psychology behind it.

^ just arrived

Nice!

The class is called mediated interpersonal communication (same title as the book).

It's a required course for me to finish my BBA-Economics/Finance.

It's all about computer mediated communication and all of the psychology behind it.

ah k, I'm covering more of the social/cultural side of things, not too heavy on the psychology

A good portion of this book is centered on the cultural side of things too, although it's from the individuals perspective participating in the macro-environment so ultimately they boil the cultural down to the psychological, if that makes any sense :wacko:

Anyway, happy studies! =)

Guest moonchild

I'm revisiting women who run with wolves, myths about the wild woman. It's folklore and myths about women to get them to reconnect with their more primitive nature. I like it but I take it in small doses so I don't get angsty :)

Guest kokeboka

Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis. It's short, but I haven't finished it yet. It's my first time reading Kafka, I'm enjoying his writing style a lot. This kind of reminds me of Gogol's The Nose, but in a darker light.

Guest Drahken

About 3/4 of the way through Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler. Not something I would have picked up on my own but a friend recommended it and I thought a classic detective novel sounded fun. Great book if your into that kind of thing.

Guest dese manz hatin

a.jpg

I read this over the past 2 weeks. It was quite tough for someone whose first language isn't english, despite the fact that i'm quite used to academic english. Probably also due to the fact that my high expectations for this were not really fulfilled.

Now I'm really looking forward to reading these two once I'm done with the truckload of work that's to be done til friday. Good old Thomas Bernhard.

018.657.018.jpg515Q51QZBGL._SS500_.jpg

("Concrete" / "Claus Peyman buys a pair of trousers and grabs a meal with me")

Edited by dese manz hatin

a.jpg

I read this over the past 2 weeks. It was quite tough for someone whose first language isn't english, despite the fact that i'm quite used to academic english. Probably also due to the fact that my high expectations for this were not really fulfilled.

Now I'm really looking forward to reading these two once I'm done with the truckload of work that's to be done til friday. Good old Thomas Bernhard.

018.657.018.jpg515Q51QZBGL._SS500_.jpg

("Concrete" / "Claus Peyman buys a pair of trousers and grabs a meal with me")

is this for study as well??

416K8JYYBGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

finally finished this. to all sci-fi fans out there I would highly recommend it, it's quite an epic, very well conceived, and very meaningful.

if you were to explain it in 3 sentences, what would those sentences be? I'm intrigued.

Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis. It's short, but I haven't finished it yet. It's my first time reading Kafka, I'm enjoying his writing style a lot. This kind of reminds me of Gogol's The Nose, but in a darker light.

Did you read the english translation? What did you think he turned into?

roight now:

Mighty-Be-Our-Powers.png

if you were to explain it in 3 sentences, what would those sentences be? I'm intrigued.

Well, it takes place in the far future of our universe, where humans have branched out into many different solar systems/galaxies; Neverness is a city which is sort of an intellectual center for a mystical order of mathematicians (and other professions) who use their knowledge to navigate "the manifold" (read: the universe). The story is the tale of how the main character Mallory, after an encounter with a God-like entity deep in the heart of space, embarks on a quest to discover the secret of life, and ends up transforming himself into something incredible. It has a very psychedelic tinge to it a lot of the time, in a good way.

Well, it takes place in the far future of our universe, where humans have branched out into many different solar systems/galaxies; Neverness is a city which is sort of an intellectual center for a mystical order of mathematicians (and other professions) who use their knowledge to navigate "the manifold" (read: the universe). The story is the tale of how the main character Mallory, after an encounter with a God-like entity deep in the heart of space, embarks on a quest to discover the secret of life, and ends up transforming himself into something incredible. It has a very psychedelic tinge to it a lot of the time, in a good way.

sounds good to me!

Guest kokeboka

Did you read the english translation? What did you think he turned into?

Yeah, my gf bought it for me as a gift from Prague - English translations are usually better than Portuguese translations, in any case. I imagined him as a bulky centipede because he keeps mentioning 2 rows of multiple thin legs and a hard thorax; at a certain point a maid shouts "dung beetle" at him, which at that point made me rethink what he looked like. Kafka apparently demanded no illustrations be made of him, so I assume his idea is for the reader to imagine his worse.

Now I'm thinking of reading Lost Fleet: Relentless (I'm a huge fan of the series) and maybe Kafka's The Process as well.

Trying to get through Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... my friends/family, knowing I read quite a bit, asks me regularly if I have read it. After realizing Fincher was adapting it I thought I should give it a go. Finally started it a few weeks back and cannot get into it. I can muster maybe 10 pages at a time before its dry, almost chalk-like pose absorbs everything out of me. I just hit 50% according to my kindle... need I finish or just watch the film?

Guest zaphod

9780316074230_388X586.jpg

Read this a year ago. I don't know why it was published. Just putting the chapters in order and pretending there's an overarching theme puts me off. It's basically a lot of notes, some interesting, some extremely boring. I liked Chapter 1 and Chapter 8. The latter is an especially accurate, kind of amusing Cormac Mccarthy parody/homage that works really well. I wonder where he was going with that. Oh well...

c99a9ad3a5b3f26e5ed72ce9c8d8b8b7.jpg

Just...wow. Best science fiction novel I've read in a really long time.