IGNORED

Wisp - The Shimmering Hour

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jase Space

Norman Records likey -

Exciting me immensely this week is a surprise new release from New Yorker Wisp. With previous 12"s on Terminal Dusk & Sublight/Hymen to his name, as well as countless MP3 files, this latest 4 track EP package must represent the pinnacle of his talents so far. The music's comprised mainly of hugely melodic, symphonic & beautiful modern electronica that will totally satisfy fans of early Autechre, Digitonal, prime Boards of Canada, mid period U-Ziq and the more melodic Flashbulb stuff. Not to mention Aphex at his most fragile & compelling. This man Reid is a real talent, serving up a platter of classic, hair raising braindance that glides, pulses, patters, zings & soothes. I can't really elaborate more than saying if you hanker for that classic Rephlex sound, this is a feast of elastic rhythms, woozy keys, neuron baiting synth splurges & frantic organic beats that merges all the sounds you love into a whole fresh tasty broth like yr electromam used to make. A very worthy & welcome slice o' wax indeed.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

new yorker? wisp is the epitome of a red neck.

is this ep gonna be like that ep he put out call tree sounds or some shit. coz that was great.

More whale sounds and pan flute were added to differentiate the two more.

*jots it down*

actually, i was surprised at the samples, because they do sound a lot more like Aphex Twin than tracks like Teh Bard Postlude, which has more of WISP's medievalness to it. I was wondering whether the more APhex-sounding tracks were released on this EP on purpose, or whether it was just random and I'm sounding like a conspiracy theorist.

:ohmy:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived