IGNORED

Anyone plays the game GO?

gaarg

Ive got a set, me and my friend had vague notions of sitting off in armchairs smoking joints and being all intellectual playing Go but never got round to it.

as being me aswell, i bought a proper nice set aswell, big fat marble table with glass beads.

I know the rules but i dont know how to play it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Deep Fried Everything

i have a friend who is supergamesmaster (kind of guy who spends his life on WoW), he's good at pretty much everything and sometimes frustrating to play as usually only an advanced player would have a chance in hell of competing, and part of me thinks he's just wired that way, but i really do see your point tftt... All this guy does is play games. that's it.

do you know any more details on the "study of the expert minds"? i'd be really interested to read that.

they have the baduk channel over here. Guys do nothing but play baduk (Go) and then the commentators hop in and talk shit about what possible moves there are.

You can see old dudes playing it everywhere. I never really got into it.

I played my entire school time playing 5-in-a-row (Gomoku), it's not Go but close.

The first player always had obvious advantage so it was the loser of the previous game. After getting bored I started playing Renju

• 1 year later...

So a year has passed and I'm wondering, has anyone here started go yet? I've played The Tuss on the KGS server and as AphexTwin I was greeted as the electronica god a few times lol. It was fun, but I'm now playing as gaarg again, it was too much pressure, pretending to be That guy.

also: Fred, didn't you say you was gonna give it a try? Oh, the fun we'd have...

Guest Babar

i used to play go during the philosophy course at school. But it was too much pressure for me. I was a poorly skilled player, though, something like 50 kyu lol. (the computer's still beating me).

I'm still a lousy 3kyu in EGF (European go federation). 1kyu on Kgs (Kiseido go server).

I'm not progressing anywhere even though I've been like playing for 7 years now. It's all because there's no close friends playing so we could take progress together :cry:

I've played a bit of go, but I actually prefer pente as well as 5-in-a-row and 6-in-a-row. I haven't learned to appreciate the subtle strategical aspects of go yet. I prefer tactical sparring, which I understand exists somewhat in go, but I haven't learned too much of that either. I'm just knee deep in chess which is still very rewarding for me to play.

hey gaarg, still planing to go to carcassonne ?

Yes! I've been thinking about asking some more stuff about France and all in that topic I had. So, probably I'll do just that.

I've played a bit of go, but I actually prefer pente as well as 5-in-a-row and 6-in-a-row. I haven't learned to appreciate the subtle strategical aspects of go yet. I prefer tactical sparring, which I understand exists somewhat in go, but I haven't learned too much of that either. I'm just knee deep in chess which is still very rewarding for me to play.

This is why I play video games like Puzzle quest and Diablo. A lot of spontanous tacticism whilst go can also be like that if you play like me (10 games a day with not much brain involved), but if you take your time and think there's all the subtlenes you'll ever need in this amazing game.

Guest Iain C

Dabbled a bit over the past couple of years, never really got any good at it. More of a chess player, but I love all traditional games and will give anything a try! These days I'm mostly into dominoes and card games.

Guest Rabid

I tried learning, I was absolutely horrible and lost all the time.

I'd play and it would look like I'm winning and then I would lose and I'd have no idea why.

I read up on it a lot and knew everything about the game but the strategy part of it never clicked with me.

I ended up getting so pissed off that I swore I'd never play again

I'm gonna give it another try

Guest assegai

Didn't read the thread (will later) but I always wanted to learn Go (play chess regularly). A couple friends and I tried to learn a couple times via google however nothing ever transpired.

Its really hard to learn go on your own, I find. I think it is much easier just to start out playing OTB with somebody who knows a lot about the game already. You learn A LOT more that way.

Its really hard to learn go on your own, I find. I think it is much easier just to start out playing OTB with somebody who knows a lot about the game already. You learn A LOT more that way.

so very true

Having somebody to tutor you is always best. Remember the times we were figuring out the basics of go, kokoon? Those were the lols...

Gordo, what's your nickname on KGS? Lets fight!

Archived