IGNORED

Fluorescent Grey - Improvised Electronic Music pt 1 & 2

awepittance

just to be clear, I wasn't meaning this as a slight against robbie... I was just reading this discussion about improv and on the fly tunes etc... and I have some thoughts on the matter.

so this is what im gonna do. im gonna eat this fucking wicked pizza, and then Im gonna re-write my rant, with the added bonus of being drunks, and Ill then PM it to you

weee

also, gonna go listen to this now

just to be clear, I wasn't meaning this as a slight against robbie... I was just reading this discussion about improv and on the fly tunes etc... and I have some thoughts on the matter.

so this is what im gonna do. im gonna eat this fucking wicked pizza, and then Im gonna re-write my rant, with the added bonus of being drunks, and Ill then PM it to you

weee

also, gonna go listen to this now

:ok:

try doing mashups as well

Guest Scrambled Ears
it's hard for anyone i think to create deeply emotional melodies on the fly or in real time

at 171 bpm no doubt...downloading

pics of the pizza or it didn't happen

I love the mashup idea. My one criticism would be that, in constructing the tracks, you usually fill up every single note of the 16-note sequence, so almost every track is super-busy. Layering two tracks like this on top of each other creates so much data, it starts to sound messy. It would be really neat, if you do this again, if you make some tracks with much more minimal or sparser sequences and rhythms, so that your mashups will create interesting combinations of overall dynamics rather than a constant stream of different drum hits and sounds on every single sixteenth-note.

pics of the pizza or it didn't happen

I love the mashup idea. My one criticism would be that, in constructing the tracks, you usually fill up every single note of the 16-note sequence, so almost every track is super-busy. Layering two tracks like this on top of each other creates so much data, it starts to sound messy. It would be really neat, if you do this again, if you make some tracks with much more minimal or sparser sequences and rhythms, so that your mashups will create interesting combinations of overall dynamics rather than a constant stream of different drum hits and sounds on every single sixteenth-note.

my plan for the next one is to do something more like what you describe. I definitely now see the drawbacks of mashing up songs that are pretty busy to begin with.

One thing that might help is loading playlist # 1 (1-18) in it's own player and playlist #2 (19-35) in one player. The 1st half has a lot more of a sparse feel, and i think those particular playlists just sound the best together.

i really dig this; getting a bit of a live AE feel as far as the slow evolution, but definitely have your own sound going on. you don't need mash-upping, it's really sick as is. only thought would be gescom minidisc-esque shuffling capability? may have been brought up already.

edit: 12 is my JAM

edit 2: 12 is TOTALLY my jam, holy shit

so, I'm not sure how much actual feedback you want, if any.... this isn't the ekt subforum... this is an actual release, so my comments wouldn't be to actually give advice... it would just be an exercise in verbalizing my tastes in regard to your music really... not sure if that's what you are going for, or if you just want to share your music to people that appreciate it.

This is pretty much why I never comment on other peoples finished music... its not so much helpful really...

but since this is the unique situation where the composer is in direct contact with the listenrs, many people feel the need to chime in with their thoughts. I've never fully understood what is the etiquette here.

in the new releases forum, my feeling is that it's most appropriate to cheerlead for the little guys and tear down the big guys.

I'm not talking about tearing down... just asking if my opinion is really desired... no reason to lean towards cheerleading or tearing down.... just honesty.

again, the line between sharing, and asking for feedback is blurred when you are in direct contact with the listener.

autechre doesnt expect everyone who listens to their album to write them a review with constructive criticism... they put it out there because they are proud of it, and want to share.

it just seems to be the norm on here to give opinions without being asked. and that always makes me feel awkward.

One thing that might help is loading playlist # 1 (1-18) in it's own player and playlist #2 (19-35) in one player. The 1st half has a lot more of a sparse feel, and i think those particular playlists just sound the best together.

This is how I listened to it BTW (hence the reason I said it sounds like one 40 min track rather than an 80 min track) and I thought it was just the right amount of busy, like I said, just made me go "woah... crazy!"... in a good way.

I'm not talking about tearing down... just asking if my opinion is really desired... no reason to lean towards cheerleading or tearing down.... just honesty.

again, the line between sharing, and asking for feedback is blurred when you are in direct contact with the listener.

autechre doesnt expect everyone who listens to their album to write them a review with constructive criticism... they put it out there because they are proud of it, and want to share.

it just seems to be the norm on here to give opinions without being asked. and that always makes me feel awkward.

I dunno... I give constructive criticism even when the artist isn't listening :P I definitely see where you're coming from tho...

Ima dl this :) just like to say 2 players at once in seamless shuffle is how I listen to gescom's minidisc for most satisfying results. But you sir are the first artist I have seen to suggest people to do this with your own work thus I applaude you :)

• 2 weeks later...

this shit makes me chair-rave like nothing since the ae glasgow school of arts set.

there is a similar (monomachine-infused?) feel to that set, but you definitely have your own sound rob.

love it!

Archived