IGNORED

Burn after reading

Chris Moss Acid

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got done watching it. Pitt was great, but Malkovich really made the movie. Alot of the violence caught me off guard, but then the lighthearted CIA conversation at the end really tied the whole thing together nicely. Has that Coen stylistic stamp on it you can spot from a mile away.

[edit] Also, the "Who are you?" scene was beautifully done.

Guest zaphod
burn after reading is completely shallow bullshit nihilism; not funny, not interesting, not anything.

Guest Mirezzi
burn after reading is completely shallow bullshit nihilism; not funny, not interesting, not anything.

Sorry to disappoint, but I'll take my review of this from PBN's clipboard.

I'd only add what Theo added much earlier, that the film should have been subtitled with, "Burn after watching."

Okay, one more thing, I'm amazed that so many people gagged on the Pitt performance. That shit required about one ounce of creativity. "Ohhh, we'll have Brad Pitt play this super aloof fitness freak!" Then, of course, there's Malkovich parodying himself.

From a marketing perspective, this was a clever move. It was the Coens' Ocean's Eleven, effectively lowering their bar while making a movie and chewing gum at the same time.

Guest sysex

I thought the movie was great...

afaik it was until the more recent years that both directors have been for the most part equally involved in the directing.

anyway... i think apart from Brad's wtfawesome grin before he takes it in the face, my favorite parts are the exchange between the CIA Superior and CIA Officer.

CIA Superior: What did we learn, Palmer?

CIA Officer: I don't know, sir.

CIA Superior: I don't fuckin' know either. I guess we learned not to do it again.

CIA Officer: Yes, sir.

CIA Superior: I'm fucked if I know what we did.

CIA Officer: Yes, sir, it's, uh, hard to say

CIA Superior: Jesus Fucking Christ.

I just got done watching Intolerably Cruelty for the first time and liked it much better. I much prefer the more whimsical, lighthearted Coens of that, O Brother, and The Big Lebowski to the depraved and graphically violent Coens of Burn After Reading and No Country.

Archived