IGNORED

best musical development of the 00s??

Guest dese manz hatin

Guest dese manz hatin

I'm definitely going for electro

and by electro I mean the good, brutal 'new school' electro, i.e. boys noize, justice etc. all about some rough basslines and a cup of tea tbh.

what else would be noteworthy?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest assegai

I actually think the 00's have been a stale decade of music, not much in innovation. I also hate that new wave of indy rock shaggy hair retro bullshit that creeped up as "mainstream" rock. I see big things coming for the 10's though... either that or good music is going further "niche" and there will be nothing but crap easily accesible.

edit: The 90's were an awesome time for music I can think of many exciting noteworthy things however if someone asked me to recommend something from the last 9 years I'd draw a blank.

Guest dese manz hatin
I actually think the 00's have been a stale decade of music, not much in innovation. I also hate that new wave of indy rock shaggy hair retro bullshit that creeped up as "mainstream" rock. I see big things coming for the 10's though... either that or good music is going further "niche" and there will be nothing but crap easily accesible.

edit: The 90's were an awesome time for music I can think of many exciting noteworthy things however if someone asked me to recommend something from the last 9 years I'd draw a blank.

yeah this is basically why I made this thread, apart from electro nothing (good) comes to my mind

qft

Guest esquimaw

00s were the decade music went interactive on a big scale.

Audiotoys were available to the masses and it became easy to make something that sounded like good music.

I hardly know anyone who's really into music who hasn't had a bash at writing a tune or a remix on their computer these days.

Artistically, I can think of no important development that took place. We accelerated too fast beyond post-modernism, and now everyone is frantically trying to fill in the gaps in what has gone previous.. hoping to find a new pasture.. Post-modern art has created post-modern people. Music is no longer relevant as a cultural force like it once was. Mid-late 20th century popular music culture was an aberration on the grand scale of things. It won't happen again like it did.

Although I think the exploration of the typical glitch/MaxMSP and minimal lo-fi sound have been the highlights of the decade overall the '00's have been pretty slow and static from a progressive point of view kinda like the late 80's imho.

I blame the unintuative approach of the VST laptop method to making music which is kinda parralleled with the inpenetrable letterbox LCD ROMplers of the late 80's when electronic music was a little stale before the dance revolution and the analogue revival.

I think radical intuative 'hands on' hardware (like Elektron, Future Retro, Radikal Tech, ect) from small companies will shape the future not bands adding a little electronic flavour to the same ole music format like the New Romantics of the 80's.

Electronic music has pretty much deconstructed itself in the 00's. For good or bad, it was obvious it would happen as the creative method got "democratised". Everybody and their mum can now do music of an electronic genre.

glitch, microtechno, tech/filtertrance, electroclash

Akufen

Agoria

Robag Wruhme

etc

Minilogue

Heartthrob

Richie Hawtin

etc

Nathan Fake

Efdemin

Sascha Funke

etc

T.Raumschmiere

Alter Ego

Deichkind

etc

imho Boys Noize, MSTRKRFT, Justice and all of those are followups of Daft Punk, Alex Gopher etc and sometimes i can hear some Bangalter in all of 'em. They're all just the logic fusion of rock density with electronic EQ-power with Mr. Oizo standing out of that crowd a bit for me though. "Come to daddy" already ? There are quite a few old faces who've stepped up early in the meaning of todays sound. Go check Sven Väth contact and fusion albums (again).

The 90's were an awesome time for music

the 80's were better

the 00's have nothing to offer

maybe youre just being nostalgic?

btw... Ulrich Schnauss' movement away from (90's) electro to his todays sound is definately one of the best musical developments of the 00's ... i count Sigur Ros and Plaid to that kind of stuff.

Guest tbio2007

Good Topic, I would say Dubstep but that has not developed if you know what I mean, it's a fresh genre, the exciting thing is for dubsteppers it is going to get alot better.

I think Techno/Minimal Techno has developed very well, espically the Kompakt stuff, not the most complex of music but still very good.

I'd say the biggest musical developments of 00 are:

Soulseek

Bleep, iTunes

Torrents of FL, Reason, Ableton, etc

As for the music itself, basically all the genres that were created over the last several centuries all got together and fucked in the back of a van and produced things like Animal Collective, (modern) Radiohead, & 65 Days of Static.

Guest dese manz hatin

I don't understand how you could ever put the 80s before the 90s in terms of musical development. If you're talking innovation (kraftwerk, early hip hop) etc, then yes. buy since we're talking about development, never.

just take a look at electronic music and hip hop, which were both invented in the 80s (more or less of course

). and then consider the development they've undertaken during the 90s.

Electronic music has pretty much deconstructed itself in the 00's. For good or bad, it was obvious it would happen as the creative method got "democratised". Everybody and their mum can now do music of an electronic genre.

that.

As of future sound to the music I believe in artists that I do not know of yet. Some kids, trying it out on their computers in some new way.

For good, solid music there's always musicians, developing nad upgrading old stuff. I'm hoping for academic approach in some school or another to Autechre, Aphex twin and Squarepusher in the near future. Giving electronic music a more solid form in all means (sound articulation, sampling, composition...). Having istitutions to handle progress there's bound to become some renegades that would use that same structured knowledge to try out new things.

Sorry, getting off topic here...

Guest Soothsayer
For good, solid music there's always musicians, developing nad upgrading old stuff. I'm hoping for academic approach in some school or another to Autechre, Aphex twin and Squarepusher in the near future. Giving electronic music a more solid form in all means (sound articulation, sampling, composition...). Having istitutions to handle progress there's bound to become some renegades that would use that same structured knowledge to try out new things.

uhhhh, what? :confused:

uhhhh, what? :confused:

I meant it might be a good thing for electronic music if there were departments for that in academies, where professors would teach about ae, afx and sp and such.

Archived