IGNORED

best musical development of the 00s??

Guest dese manz hatin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For good, solid music there's always musicians, developing nad upgrading old stuff. I'm hoping for academic approach in some school or another to Autechre, Aphex twin and Squarepusher in the near future. Giving electronic music a more solid form in all means (sound articulation, sampling, composition...). Having istitutions to handle progress there's bound to become some renegades that would use that same structured knowledge to try out new things.

uhhhh, what? :confused:

I meant it might be a good thing for electronic music if there were departments for that in academies, where professors would teach about ae, afx and sp and such.

umm i heard someone talk about a prof who gave snares tracks for homework to work out the rythmic patterns

maybe youre just being nostalgic?

i dont think i am - the 80's was the best decade for independant music by far

the smiths, new order, depeche mode, the bunnymen, big black

i could go on

maybe youre just being nostalgic?

i dont think i am - the 80's was the best decade for independant music by far

the smiths, new order, depeche mode, the bunnymen, big black

i could go on

you listen to the chameleons at all? i think they out smith the smiths at times..

yeah, the 80s saw the flourishing of independant labels, but good music exists in any decade.. just depends on how dedicated you are to searching it out. there will always be forward thinking musicians

The 80's were superior to the 90's in almost every way. Music became a dollar sign in the 90's [especially the latter years]. I think towards the end of the 90's a lot of artists were thinking "well, here's the year 2000, I should try to write something that sounds futuristic," which just ended up coming out cold and forced. There's a lot of overlap between the late 90's and the early 00's. Once the economy started going downhill around 2003-04, popular music started picking up a bit. The Mars Volta's first album was awesome, but the rest of it is pure crap.

I think the underground genres will always fluctuate because they'll never be appreciated like popular music will, and popular music will continue to be effected by the economy and general sentiment [like the early 90's disenchanted grunge scene].

So, I think music in general will get better as the economy worsens, and it will probably overlap into the 10's.

Music became a dollar sign in the 90's

are you referring to a specific genre? because music has always been a dollar sign in one way or another..

For good, solid music there's always musicians, developing nad upgrading old stuff. I'm hoping for academic approach in some school or another to Autechre, Aphex twin and Squarepusher in the near future. Giving electronic music a more solid form in all means (sound articulation, sampling, composition...). Having istitutions to handle progress there's bound to become some renegades that would use that same structured knowledge to try out new things.

I meant it might be a good thing for electronic music if there were departments for that in academies, where professors would teach about ae, afx and sp and such.

i sincerely hope that in a good twenty years this becomes mainstream, much like jazz studies and such.

I'm definitely going for electro

and by electro I mean the good, brutal 'new school' electro, i.e. boys noize, justice etc. all about some rough basslines and a cup of tea tbh.

what else would be noteworthy?

two many djs aka soulwax

crookers

royskopp (however u spell it)

benassi

oh &who could forget

deadmau5

are you referring to a specific genre? because music has always been a dollar sign in one way or another..

Marketing music and writing music as a marketing tool are two different things. When you start to see an album as the music industry's equivalent to a tube of toothpaste, it becomes not a piece of expression, but a commodity.

Marketing music and writing music as a marketing tool are two different things. When you start to see an album as the music industry's equivalent to a tube of toothpaste, it becomes not a piece of expression, but a commodity.

true, but to say that "in the 90s music became a dollar sign" seems too general to me. there has been and will always be those that approach music with profit in mind. its just the marketing techniques that change.

true, but to say that "in the 90s music became a dollar sign" seems too general to me. there has been and will always be those that approach music with profit in mind. its just the marketing techniques that change.

I think you're taking my statements too black and white. I mean it as a general thing. Popular music became a money making scheme more than ever before.

I think you're taking my statements too black and white. I mean it as a general thing. Popular music became a money making scheme more than ever before.

n/m.

perhaps youre right

they'd just rip off the flesh and fill it with antibiotics. the bones will remain.

its hard to say whats 'best' but id say the most distinct and impacting musical development since the year 2000 has

been the extreme accessibility for anyone who owns a computer to make very professional sounding music .

i think we've really only scratched the surface of this phenomenon.

i sincerely hope that in a good twenty years this becomes mainstream, much like jazz studies and such.

i believe this kind of teaching will become obsolete. alot later than sooner, but still. it will remain long enough to generate a 10inch layer of dust in the academic archives tho.

music develops out. it's more like a kid who comes in the club for the first time and hears this pounding bass and crazy snares coming from everywhere. it's just overwhelming. the next thing he knows is his copmuter turns into a recording studio. music in this age, i think, already lost some of it's roots in educational manner that is. sound development seems to perpetuate almost in real time.

In the end computers will be able to make music all by themselves and no one will care

/sarcasm

Guest Glass Plate

First here's some specific artists I think are some what working in pushing feilds of composition/instrumentation/deconstruction of modern music making:

Daedelus, Animal Collective, Otto Von Schirach, Kieran Hebden & Steve Reid, Team Doyobi, OORUTAICHI, Erik Levander, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Squarepusher (his new compositions are still very unique approach I think), AFX (brought a whole new retrograde wave of people into analog gear), Terminal11 (some of the best breakcore of the 2000's for sure)

some groupings of new ideas in music making that are appearing in this decade that I'm enjoying/feel is fresh.

The Entire Off-beat Hip-Hop movement (Samiyam, Flylo, Hud Mo, etc.)

8bit/lo-fi/circuit bent hardware netlabel movement (Burnkit2600, casperelectronics, M-_-N, Bitshifter, Random, goto80 etc.)

Extreme Animals and the whole Baltimore noise composition type scene (I'm not an expert on this scene but their shit is pretty edgey IMO)

Ghost Box Records (new wave retrograde ideas)

Phthalo (one of the few people still pushing out unique electronic music tracks)

Adaadat (most stuff on this label I feel is pretty unique instrumentation and fusions of music making ideals such as Agaskodo Teliverek, Ove-Naxx, DoDodoo, germlin and Scotch Egg)

Along with Team Doyobi, I feel a lot of the SKAM stuff that came out in 2000 was pretty great improvements to electronic music.

Speaking of other good electronic music and 2000's Ochre, Gareth Clarke, Kettel etc.

I listened to edIT's first album recently. Back when it first came out I didn't know much about production vst's, but now I can't stand that damn album because it's just guitar, beats, and livecut/dBlue glitch. What a hack.

Guest Hanratty
my vote is for the sortof global freak-folk & drone underground facilitated by cdr labels and mp3 blogs

nobody listens to me

personally, i think every decade has something musically unique to offer, except for the 00's. it's like a mish-mash of little pieces of different genres known before hand. just my opinion.

and i agree with ghostbusters III about the amazingly easy access to lots of tools to create & edit audio, and its posibilities. we'll see what happens...

Archived