IGNORED

Knowing::::::::

Atop

I will begin this by saying yes I know there is another thread about this film....

I have started a new one to give 'Knowing' the proper respect it deserves.....

Do not read further if you haven't seen the film.....

please

Some of my first memories being films such as E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Dark Crystal, Blade Runner, Alien, Dune, Krull, The Never Ending Story, Star Wars (the first ones), Star Trek(the second and on, and a bit later the first film), The Exorcist, The Omen, and Nightmare on Elm Street....

These films seem to have all brought myself to a certain culminating point at which the film 'Knowing' synthesizes and was made for myself, my tastes, what I find wonderful about the imagination, spirituality, all beliefs and an inert want to be faced with fear, just to be able to conquer it....

Cynics and Fundamentals can agree on one thing, that we all die....

what happens after death is something to be talked about until the end of humanity and of all life on earth.....

but what we fear the most is what is dark, intangible, terror on a scale that no human hand could ever invent, no matter how hard we try.......

H P Lovecraft and Poe have captured this feeling the most out of all the writers I have read......

Using symbol and poetic verse to feed whatever it is that we fear the most on a personal level....

and even earlier, Dante Alighieri, Nostradamus and St John being the first horror writers.......

Then on the other side we have wonderful fantasy being invented by Rabelais, Shakespeare, Hawthorne, Carrol, George MacDonald, David Lindsay, William Blake, Edward Bulwer Lytton, Arthur Machen, Algernon Blackwood, Lord Dunsany......

and earlier with all mythology, the writers of the holy books (Vedas, Judaic, Muslim, Zoroastrianism, Taoist)

and finally to Arthur C Clarke, co-creator of '2001: A Space Odyssey', writer of the books 'Childhood's End', 'Rendezvous with Rama', and the novelization of '2001', amongst many other books that I have yet to read.....

what I have read is enough for me to know that this man is/was a gift to mankind with his wonderful mind....

'Knowing' is a tribute to all of this.....

The writers: Richard Kelly ('Donnie Darko'), Ryan Douglas Pearson ('Mercury Rising'), Stuart Hazledine (an upcoming adaptation of 'Paradise Lost'), Stiles White and Juliet Snowden('Bogeyman'), and writer/director Alex Proyas (Dark City) all worked on this story to try and make it a perfect film for all science-fiction, fantasy and horror fans.....

The horrific parts: The devastation scenes in the film are all so well done and intense that I could see this film being a problem for most viewers......

I almost had to look away several times........

the science-fiction scenes: made to appeal to all of the nerds, graphic designers, lovers of the work of visual effects wizard Douglas Trumbull, and dark fantasy lovers....

the mythology: a lot taken from the Old Testament....

Arthur C Clarke's 'Childhood's End', one of my favourite novels....

short and extremely sweet! Was a major influence as well.....

So I am guessing you know how I feel about this film......

'Knowing' scared me, scarred me, and left me with the need to write this....

almost as a warning...

this film could ruin relationships, make you feel sick at your stomach, and hopefully think Nicolas Cage is really a decent actor who pick bad films to star in.....hehehe

he chose wisely with this one...

'Knowing' will be talked about and celebrated for years to come....

Hopefully it will fuck with your mind as much as it did mine....

thanks for reading,

Akkad The Orphic Priest

knowing2top.jpg

the acting was fucking terrible. whoever the lead female was, i couldn't fucking stand her and was happy she died. the movie sucked, but the accident scenes (plane, subway) were cool. i definitely got an ET/Cocoon vibe from the alien shit and i thought it was pretty cheesy.

6/10

wouldnt watch again

-alzado

Yeah but look at your sig man...

You have bad taste...

So go watch 'The Pianist' again and cry over your man-love for Adrian Brody.....

I 'Know' what you are thinking.....

lol where did that come from

It came from me not liking your post being the first one in my thread....

dick move...

I hate dick.......

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i saw the trailer and swore never to see this film.

looks like pure shite man wtf

Guest Mr Salads

Why cant you write a coherent review Atop, without spoiling it. Just sum up why I should see this movie as quickly as you can

Guest Mirezzi

Alex Proyas seems to be a one-trick pony. You can't get much more awful than I, Robot.

I'm looking forward to watching Knowing, but it won't be until its Blu-ray release. No way am I gonna sit in a theater for that one. I still have hemorrhoids from Benjamin Button.

yeah seriously other than some little things like seeing the bitch from the plane crash be like HELP MEEEE HELP MEEE while she's standing tehre non-charred while people are literally hanging halfway out of the airplane looking damn near lifeless, that was great, showcasing the inehrent selfishness of self-important bitches.

the disasters are great, if not fleeting.

and the bitch who gets super annoying gets dispatched nicely.

but otherwise how can this movie fuck with you?!@ it's just like signs in that it wants to tug at your heart to get you to embrace faith and be one with god and know you're going to heaven you good little boy, except that tehy get tehir salvation in the form of aliens who are deathly allergic to water in signs and here, well, they torch the earth and say fuckall but hey there's cool aliens that'll save some of the creepier kids in the world, the ones who "hear the whispers" if you know what i mean.

seriously tho, this isn't some philosophical romp that causes you to look at life and question what is real what is everything what am i doing thinking this way!?@ solaris was better for that with the clones of your loved ones and wondering if you can knowingly love an illusion as opposed to being without the real thing. that's thinking. this is a bunch of hooey.

The initial shock of the disaster scenes is what got me...

upon thinking more about the film and downloading a crappy camera copy, the symbolism and fantasy within the film are what I enjoyed the most.....

Cage has some lines that are just plain funny....

"I can still see their faces....burning..."

and I love rabbits....

the few critics who gave this decent reviews and said Cage's acting is "much better here than his other recent films" are kidding themselves. I was laughing almost non stop. Everything he does, from the way he runs like a spastic fairy to his blank Segal-esque zen stare crack me up, but not in a really funny way, more in a "shit I got suckered into another crap Cage film" way.....

and finally to Arthur C Clarke, co-creator of '2001: A Space Odyssey', writer of the books 'Childhood's End', 'Rendezvous with Rama', and the novelization of '2001', amongst many other books that I have yet to read.....

YOu should read some of his earlier works...especially his really early short stories...like The Sentinel of Eternity and Guardian Angel. Also, the novel was finished way before the movie, but they released them in the same year for marketing. Both of them are based heavily upon the Sentinel of Eternity, and Guardian Angel is the basis for Childhood's End.

Post dvd release torrent seems most likely.

I fucking hate movie theater seats.

I think I still have ass bruises from Watchmen.

*tries to stifle a giant blue penis joke*

Archived