IGNORED

do I dare cook and eat this?

Guest my usernames always really suck

Puget Sound Style clam chowder with bacon. Shelf life, expired last year in August.

It's always been in the freezer, though, so I'd like to think it's safe to cook and eat.

Is it safe? What are the risks? What bacterial activity could take place in the freezing temperatures this chowder has been in such that it might be too dangerous?

why take ANY risk dude?

they do put the shelf life on there for a reason

I do know, though, that the shelf dates are extremely conservative, sometimes unrealistically so.

The fact this is seafood is the only reason I'm being cautious, because seafood food poisoning tends to be nastier and more violent than food poisoning from, say, an undercooked pizza. I can and have handled the latter type of food poisoning just fine.

Guest abusivegeorge

Be sure to defrost this thoroughly in a luke warm bowl of water first and cook for just half the recommended time.

when did you buy it?

is it canned?

Do you put canned stuff in the freezer?

I think you should do it. But only if you relentlessly WATMM the results of your ill advised endeavour from your hospital ward, where you'll be shitpuking out the last remnants of your internal organs.

Year and a half old seafood dude!!

when did you buy it?

is it canned?

Not canned, it's packaged in an air-tight bag, and the bag came in a cardboard box.

Be sure to defrost this thoroughly in a luke warm bowl of water first and cook for just half the recommended time.

Why do it differently than the instructions?

Guest Coalbucket PI

the expiration date is probably only relevant if you didn't freeze it. If you are confident about the integrity of your freezer for the last year and a half then I would encourage you to feast upon this aged dish.

I just checked various websites and since everything on the Internet is true, the longest safe time for frozen shellfish is 3 months... so... I should've eaten this stuff, at latest, in mid-December.

God damn, the local grocer doesn't sell this clam chowder anymore, either.

Archived