IGNORED

Alien film: District 9

Guest joshier

Guest Gary C

Actually, watching this. It just looks like a computer game, which might bode well for the inevitable franchise game, but maybe not the film. Hmm...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

a good movie. i guess i can use my dad as an example of how good the movie is? hes only rated 3 movies 5 outta 5. The Wizard of Oz (heh) Close Encounters of the Third Kind (cause it was fucking realistic he says) and Kung Fu Hustle (cause it had everything)...hes 49 years old. district 9 was added to the list.

imo a good movie. ill make sure to ask my dad tomorrow if he was reviewing dick strict 69 to be sure...

I had only watched the first trailer and from there on I stayed away from everything coming from WingNut's PR so I for once could watch a new movie without knowing what it was about. I was pleasently surprised though I had expected it to be kind of an indie sci-fi movie with not much going on - at least no big action scenes.

And yeah, I agree with Orange. Best movie of the summer.

this was really, really good. i thought it kinda lost the political elements about half way through in favour of more traditional action movie structure, but it was still pretty engaging. i'd agree it's the best thing i've seen all summer by a pretty wide margin.

also, one of the first films in the last few years' time that i can remember making me (and most of the audience) truly laugh out loud in shock and awe (at some of the effects - perhaps more at the way they were implemented).

not perfect, but really good.

c

Guest zaphod

very impressive film given the budget. but i felt it never rose above the more generic elements of the story. the bad guys were all one dimensional cartoons and the plot lapsed into chase movie mode in the last hour. the documentary part was the most interesting aspect of the film, after that it dipped in quality and i began to feel a lot of peter jackson influence (the shot of the main mercenary guy walking in slow motion toward the fallen mech with ethnic warbling on the soundtrack was straight out of fellowship of the ring).

Guest blicero

cliche as fuck.

nice cg.

detestable main character.

(Independence Day + Men in Black) - Will Smith * Alien Nation = District 9

3/5 stars

cliche as fuck.

nice cg.

detestable main character.

(Independence Day + Men in Black) - Will Smith * Alien Nation = District 9

3/5 stars

the only comparison i will agree with is Alien Nation. If anything this movie was only the 2nd movie about aliens trying to fit in on earth i have seen. not quite a cliche in motion pictures, albeit not an entirely original idea. Also how is the main character being detestable a movie cliche? i thought it made the movie a lot more interesting than a typical Will Smith type lead character who is like universally likable. In fact i don't remember a single one liner style action phrase in district 9. i don't know i mean i really enjoyed it but it's far from a perfect movie.

Guest assegai

Awesome movie, special FX were unbelievable. I'm completely surprised as it was promoted as a "summer blockbuster". It's refreshing to see no-name's in the lead roles and no cheesy one liners.

Guest Calx Sherbet

Awesome movie, special FX were unbelievable. I'm completely surprised as it was promoted as a "summer blockbuster". It's refreshing to see no-name's in the lead roles and no cheesy one liners.

Guest Adjective

just watched a telesync, poor quality, but good enough. i was impressed, definitely will watch again when the bluray hits

Guest analogue wings

just watched a telesync, poor quality, but good enough. i was impressed, definitely will watch again when the bluray hits

option 3 : leave house :sorcerer:

yes they do, i was lucky enough to see D9 in a nice theatre completely filled with film geeks ala an ainitcoolnews private screening giveaway. it was the best theatre experience in recent memory. I swear to fucking god i cant remember the last time i saw a movie without some asshole at least ruining part of it.

also just got my Avatar preview 3d imax tikets for this Friday! booya! who is going to celebrate avatar day :) ?

yes they do, i was lucky enough to see D9 in a nice theatre completely filled with film geeks ala an ainitcoolnews private screening giveaway. it was the best theatre experience in recent memory. I swear to fucking god i cant remember the last time i saw a movie without some asshole at least ruining part of it.

also just got my Avatar preview 3d imax tikets for this Friday! booya! who is going to celebrate avatar day :) ?

Same here. I watched it a sneak preview as well and nobody talked during the film and nobody went on a noisy rampage trying to open their bags of candy. People just seemed to dive into the movie and enjoy it.

I wish they would celebrate Avatar Day in Denmark as well, but unfortunately no. I'll just have to watch the trailer on Apple.com/trailers...

Countdown 1 day, 6 hours, and 36 minutes.

Archived