IGNORED

thinking of starting a netlabel

ascdi

I like a few, acroplane springs to mind. And yeah try and avoid Wordpress. It'll do what you want in the beginning, but once you want to reorganize your content you'll be running up walls. I've done numerous wordpress integrations and I don't like any of those sites. Wordpress is just pages and posts. You'll want stuff like artists, releases and tracks in a proper database structure to organize it all.

Guest my usernames always really suck

The problem with netlabels is you really have to dig to find anything good. They have about the same amount of shit-to-diamond ratio as real life labels do.

On the plus side I tried out Bandcamp last night, just out of curiosity, and it's really great. They're not exactly set up for per-label (as opposed to per-artist) use yet, but the design, upload and download shit, and format conversion shit are totally dope.

yeah, bandcamp is awesome. the format conversion is a life saver. i just need to promote my page a bit more i think.

Being able to play Defender on my stats page is probably my favorite part about bandcamp.

Guest hahathhat

if i ever did something as silly as a netlabel, the motivation would arise from like-minded lads and myself harbouring a collective desire to cause more mischief in tandem than we ever could alone. i can't imagine looking around for "artists" to "sign" to my "roster." i'd feel silly.

if i ever did something as silly as a netlabel, the motivation would arise from like-minded lads and myself harbouring a collective desire to cause more mischief in tandem than we ever could alone. i can't imagine looking around for "artists" to "sign" to my "roster." i'd feel silly.

I agree with this, and that is definitely where this idea came from in the first place. I'm trying to KEEP SECRETS Re: that just in case this actually ends up happening.

Anyway, this thread has been really helpful. I am encouraged that if we worked at it we could make something moderately interesting and technically viable. Now just to decide if we want to work really hard?

It's a wonderful pain in the ass. We're working on our 10 year anniversary release. You do have to maintain quality control though... I recieve ALOT of submissions for my netlabel, and it's sad to say, but I have to turn down alot... I do think people think less of netlabels, as if they're not "real" labels, I even think it myself, sometimes I'll recieve a submission for a release and think to myself, "this stuff is so bad, even a netlabel wouldn't release it".

But, if you love the music, and the scene it's associated with, it can be very enjoyable, but to do it right, it takes alot of work. ...and you'll have to listen to alot of bad music.

oh there is some net labels that will release anything.

back in 2005 i was all about releaseing shit on net labels because it was more promotion for my music, not it just seems kinda cheesy to ake an actual release that i wouldn't really even take seriously

back in 2005 i was all about releaseing shit on net labels because it was more promotion for my music, not it just seems kinda cheesy to ake an actual release that i wouldn't really even take seriously

well that's kind of refreshing, actually, cuz when i never took your shit seriously at least you weren't either =D

well that's kind of refreshing, actually, cuz when i never took your shit seriously at least you weren't either =D

Haha, burn.

Guest spraaaa

$0.02

i've only downloaded from netlabels i found by clicking links related to (somewhat) non obscure artists i'm into... too much to look through otherwise. getting someone "big" you like might def help

don't give a shit about appearance, rss feeds, descriptions (which are retarded even on "legit" labels), all you need is previews. it's really cool when there's a player with clips from all the releases.

Archived