IGNORED

The Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition

Squee

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

Look at it. LOOK AT IT! Fuck. Why, Lucasarts? Why?

At least they've got Dominic Armato to voice Guybrush, but... oh COME ON!

Also, Telltale Games are now working on a new Monkey Island game.

We just put out a joint press release with LucasArts announcing not one, but TWO new Monkey Island projects headed your way: Tales of Monkey Island, a new five-part series from Telltale, and The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, an enhanced rerelease of the game that started it all. That's right, folks. This summer you're going to be smacked upside the head by so much Monkey Island goodness you won't be able to stand it.

First up is Tales of Monkey Island, a five-episode series on PC and WiiWare that takes Guybrush on an swashbuckling new adventure across the seven seas. Our team includes a bunch of people who worked on the original games after a really long trip. Check out the official Tales of Monkey Island page for a trailer, screenshots, details on the story, and answers to all of your burning questions.

Then, LucasArts will be treating you to The Secret of Monkey Island like you've never experienced it before, in an enhanced Special Edition version that includes HD graphics, full voice acting, a new hint system, and an enhanced soundtrack. Visit the official Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition website for the full scoop.

Both games will be shown to press this week at E3, so be prepared for a lot more Monkey Island news to slap you in the face any minute now. Until then, spend some quality time on the Tales of Monkey Island website, where we've posted a trailer, screenshots, concept art, and a bunch of info about the game and the team behind it.

http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland

OMG - it looks like shit.

talesofmi_mightypirate.jpg

the remake doesn't look that bad?

or am i confused somehow do they both look like the cgi one?

The one by Telltale Games is the CGi one but the other one is sort of 3d-ish.

At least the remake didn't completely botch up the old one, Apparently you can switch to the old version on the fly if you want to play that way anyways, thats pretty cool. It still uses the old code underneath. The new one might be good, I mean, I enjoyed MI4 well enough, it wasn't great, but it passed the time.

Guest Pennywise

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

look at this new game!!!

this'd probably get kids into it, the revamped graphics and a voiceover, who wouldn't otherwise play such an old game

there's a link between IDM and classic adventure games, innit? i loved this game growing up

Guest thanksomuch
i wanted something that would do really well on the market and sell a lot of copies........

hooow about no.

1243152737050.png

Guest bitroast

that screenshot in the original post looks terrible, but the screenshots in the website look heaps nicer.

Remake looks alright. I like the fact it looks slightly dated. I don't know if I could even bring myself to play through it again though, I've done it SO many time since it came out.

Guest Space Coyote

The remake looks visually pleasing and I'd love to use it to revisit and replay the old game. Sure there's nostalgia to be had in the original graphical style but I think I've spent my fair share of time staring at squares you can count and listening to endless music without dialogue.

In my opinion the The Curse of Monkey Island was the peak of the series in all aspects and they should have maintained its graphical style for Escape From Monkey Island (which was hideous and I didn't want to play it) and for this new Tales of Monkey Island.

3D Guybrush has looked, and still looks, terrible and for that reason I won't even be pirating this.

Guest Iain C
The remake looks visually pleasing and I'd love to use it to revisit and replay the old game. Sure there's nostalgia to be had in the original graphical style but I think I've spent my fair share of time staring at squares you can count and listening to endless music without dialogue.

In my opinion the The Curse of Monkey Island was the peak of the series in all aspects and they should have maintained its graphical style for Escape From Monkey Island (which was hideous and I didn't want to play it) and for this new Tales of Monkey Island.

3D Guybrush has looked, and still looks, terrible and for that reason I won't even be pirating this.

I agree with this whole-heartedly... Escape was terrible and the switch to 3D was a bad idea, and I've no hope at all for the new game, but the remake could be fun. I quite liked the visual style of Curse - especially the curly clouds. But let's be honest, we didn't play Monkey Island for the graphics, did we? What could conceivably cock it up even more is bad voice-acting.

Guest Iain C

Also, to their credit I don't think Telltale did a terrible job with the new Sam and Max episodes. Nothing on the original, but I did LOL quite a bit and the puzzles were challenging and decent.

Remakes are for assholes. The nice atmosphere in the old games was due to careful interaction between soung and graphics that were both (in today standards) simple and robust but it was actually quite artistic. I've been thinking why I like watching those pixels so much in older games. It's that they are aware of themselves! Its all about the modernistic principles of every form of art being aware of itself and working on presenting itself radically as such. So for video games pixels in vga and midi sounds do just that - the present you a world of their own, the world of a computer game. Also having to invent a newer way of playing itself for every new game also had its bonuses.

So today you have these realistic shooting games and 3d everything and yeah, soon its all about cartoons, rich musics and sounds and virtuality but. But there's no art in it all. I think the golden era of computer games is over because there's no computergame modernism left in them.

Am I making any sense to anybody here? Anyways, remakes are for assholes.

Guest viscosity

big fan of monkey island. this took me by surprise... should serve some nostalgic revitilization with the remake and I always liked the humor in the tell tale sam and max games.. looking foward to it

Guest inteeliguntdesign

how dare they defile my youth. i'll probably look at the remark, changing from new to old graphics may be fun. i will miss the old controls though. it depends how much defilement i can take though.

tales of monkey island looks alright. but the whole story feels wrong now ron gilbert isn't writing it. he says he'd like to make the mi3 he had in his mind. the whole elane and guybrush being in love is completely against what he had in mind apparently.

mi2 was getting nicely dark. but then the whole mi3 it's a fairground and look elane's turned to gold guybrush will have to save her thing was so out of theme it was painful. mi4 didn't help either. i wonder if the revelation about herman was true to ron gilbert's story, too.

Lucasfilm has gone so low nowadays. They can't do a fucking game to save their lives, the only good ones were done by other (KOTOR, etc..)

I mean WTF get yourself a design group, do something stylised. It worked for Zelda on the Wii. Or hey go directly as a Comic book style 4-color dot thingy? There's a hundred ways, not fucking Reboot CGI

Guest viscosity

ya not that graphics really make a game.. I have played the Sam and Max series (old and new) and the guys at tell tale are competent in making funny, noncheesy, even obscure adventure games. The style is simple 3D but its really about the written dialogue in their games 

Although a Ron Gilbert/Tim Schafer game would be awesome, they are both busy with their own games at the moment

I like the remakes style much better in my own opinion, some games just work well in 2D (adventure/fighting games in particular).

1243907847.jpg1243907843.jpg

I can't say I like the new close up shots better then their originals.. although high def, they lost a lot of realism, supposively for style continuity

1243907942.jpg1243908046.jpg

This makes me wanna puke. wtf, the old everything is just on a completely different level of atmosphere. Who gives the shit about fancy looks when its all the same as everything else these days?

Sorry for all the hate spreading, but this kinda things really get me going!

This makes me wanna puke. wtf, the old everything is just on a completely different level of atmosphere. Who gives the shit about fancy looks when its all the same as everything else these days?

Sorry for all the hate spreading, but this kinda things really get me going!

No, I definitely agree.

I played through the old games some time ago (MI 1, 2, and 3) and they're perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they go back and refurbish The Curse of Monkey Island.

What's the point in remaking games? The gamers don't care, because the ones who will end up downloading these games at either Xbox Live Arcade or PSN or whatever are fans of the original series. They don't want to play new versions of what they loved as kids. They wanna be nostalgic about it and play the games the way the remember them. No one complained about the graphics when Doom was released for XBLA. No one has complained about the graphics for Wolfenstein 3D for the iPhone either.

lebowski_stranger.jpg

This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass, Lucas!

EDIT:

I was just told that you can still play the game with the original graphics.

Archived