IGNORED

zazen

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want those blue night-time scenes back. You know, the Cameron-look.

It's in all his movies. T2, True Lies, Titanic, Aliens, Abyss (well not night). It's great, there's no other directors that do it like him, they just put a blue filter and desaturates the fuck out of the picture

yeah i totally agree man, i love the way T2 looks in the night scenes when Arnold and John break into the pescadaro mental hospital, it's beautifully lit. I get chills down my spine every time i watch some key scenes from Terminator 2 where its got that strong blue lighting.

I was just thinking something similar, the other day, while watching True Lies. I think the way Cameron filmed industrial areas (parking garages, hospitals, office buildings) influenced my view of what could be aesthetically pleasing. To the point where, to this day, I still find beauty in a parking structure the same way I would an area more organic in nature.

Yeah it can go unnoticed unless you have an aestethic questionning. Then it becomes evident. It goes back to the first Terminator and the futuristic war scenes. For me that is cinema, it's not just about Bergman or Kubrick.

Guest jubes

the terminator 2 director's commentary with james and bill wisher was just great (on the extreme edition)

Guest Mr Salads

I loved that commentary.

The part where the helicopter goes under the bridge, Cameron is like "yeah that really happened. You just saw a helicopter go under a bridge."

Then it becomes evident. It goes back to the first Terminator and the futuristic war scenes. For me that is cinema

yeah to tell you the truth this is whay T4 was such a piece of shit to me, it reminded me very little if at all of the future war scenes in the first one. No blue lighting, no cars piled on on freeways with dusty skeletons inside, no pink/purple lasers. Call me a nitpicking bastard but those things are all very fucking crucial for me to to feel like i am inside that terminator universe. Without the sky being dark or hazey blue the world feels way too sterile for me. i thought this was post nuclear winter in T4? why is the sun out so strongly?

the director of T3 admitted to loving that blue lighting and didn't copy it directly but instead did a strong orange-ish lit look to a lot of the scenes to contrast the blue (say whatever you want about 3 but at least the director was aware of these Cameron aesthetics). I'd be really fucking surprised if any of that even crossed McG's mind or if it did he preferred a Michael Bay look over the classic cameron.

Guest Mr Salads
Then it becomes evident. It goes back to the first Terminator and the futuristic war scenes. For me that is cinema

yeah to tell you the truth this is whay T4 was such a piece of shit to me, it reminded me very little if at all of the future war scenes in the first one. No blue lighting, no cars piled on on freeways with dusty skeletons inside, no pink/purple lasers. Call me a nitpicking bastard but those things are all very fucking crucial for me to to feel like i am inside that terminator universe. Without the sky being dark or hazey blue the world feels way too sterile for me. i thought this was post nuclear winter in T4? why is the sun out so strongly?

the director of T3 admitted to loving that blue lighting and didn't copy it directly but instead did a strong orange-ish lit look to a lot of the scenes to contrast the blue (say whatever you want about 3 but at least the director was aware of these Cameron aesthetics). I'd be really fucking surprised if any of that even crossed McG's mind or if it did he preferred a Michael Bay look over the classic cameron.

I think the arc of the series has two more movies in it and they WILL be made. The movie hasnt done amazing business but its been pretty good and the numbers are still coming in from the international box office which so far are all beating expectations. I think eventually, you will get your blue lighting, dusty cars on the freeway and pink purple lasers. From what I know he told bale to read "The Road" since that was the style they were going for. I think they are going for a "day turns to night" feel so by the third movie its all going to be dark and grim. In theory. From reviews ive seen of this movie nothing really worked like it was supposed to. Probably wont for the sequels either.

Yeah I also love the fact that Kyle Reese in the first movie says that they don't fight during the day, only at night. Congrats McG and your awesome script crew. The art direction was totally bland like you've said. Completely generic except for Stan Winston' work (RIP)

Guest Mr Salads

No one has mentioned Michael Ironside. Is he a badass in it? Is he in a lot of scenes? Hes the only reason I want to see it

hey dudes, this aint the T4 thread

this way please

*gently herds the muttering disappointed T4 crowd back to the T4 thread*

hey it relates man, throwing out Cameron's beautifully shot /blue light aesthetics can be complained about in both the Avatar thread and the Terminator 4 thread. i give the go ahead

noooooooooo

this thread is for baseless speculation about a film none of us will see for six months

not disappointed eulogies to a franchise that died 5 years ago

edit: the only relevance T4 has to this thread is that it wasn't made by Cameron, and thats been amply pointed out already

• 2 weeks later...

little bits of info

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/08/everyt...amerons-avatar/

# I ran into Landau after the presentation, and only had a moment to ask questions. I asked if there was a contradiction in the way he’d described the film as more of a character story and even a romance than a movie about the planet and technology. If it was really this emotional story at the core, why not make it a decade or more ago, when the story was originally written? His answer confirmed what most of us have assumed: that the real importance here is not the 3D, but the believability of the Na’vi. We have to accept that these beings and all the creatures and plants around them are as real as Sam Worthington’s human character. We have to accept that a largely digital ten-foot blue alien is a creature capable of expressing the range and depth of emotion of a human. Landau claims this has been achieved.

# A handful of scenes from the film (about 25 minutes) have been screened to very select groups of individuals over the last week or two. I’ve talked to several people who saw Fox’s heavily guarded presentation, and though they were very respectful of their NDAs, basic comments were all similar: mind-blowing. Game-changer. Dreamlike. Completely unlike anything they’d seen before. One or two of the people I spoke to are not the most objective when it comes to something like this. But a couple others were people whose opinions I trust almost implicitly. That they were so taken with the footage says a lot.

# The point highlighted most often by those who saw the film footage was the incredible look of Pandora at night, when bioluminescent plants and creatures create a totally alien landscape. Not too difficult to see the influence of Cameron’s underwater documentary work there. But I was also reminded of descriptions of Gaspar Noe’s new film that appeared at Cannes, Enter the Void. The selective praise for that movie focused on its first hour, in which a hallucinatory, dreamlike landscape gave audiences a very new and unexpected vision of Tokyo. How amused I’ll be if the Cameron and Noe movies turn out to be spiritually linked based on their dreamlike nighttime wanderings.

also, more screenshots from the game have come to light

Guest Mr Salads
How amused I’ll be if the Cameron and Noe movies turn out to be spiritually linked based on their dreamlike nighttime wanderings.

Seriously what the fuck

i read a rumor the trailer will premiere before Transformers, but haven't heard a word since the overseas shows started. anyone?

they were going to do this, but changed their minds. So no, there won't be an avatar trailer before Transformers.

Rumour has it that Cameron has so far rejected 8 different trailers supplied by the marketing department at Fox, and now he is working on his own trailer.

Rumour has it that Cameron has so far rejected 8 different trailers supplied by the marketing department at Fox, and now he is working on his own trailer.

Good boy.

Too often a trailer either ruins or misrepresents a film..

Archived