IGNORED

Aesop Rock

Guest AOOproductions

Guest AOOproductions

He has an unbelievable flow and voice and if anything he is a constant reminder of how close rap is to poerty. There are definitely certain things in his raps that are nicely done metaphors, but more often than not his raps are 100% percent subjective and really have no literal meaning.

He is quoted as saying

"It’s probably because it’s not the most accessible music in the world. It may pose a slight challenge to the listener beyond your average pop song. I'm no genius by a long shot, but these songs are not nonsensical, that's pretty preposterous. I'd have to be a genius to pull this many nonsensical records over people's eyes. It's not exactly fast food but when people pretend I'm just spewing non-sequiturs and gibberish I can’t help but think they simply haven’t listened and are regurgitating some rumor they’ve heard about me. Even if it's not laid out in perfect sentences—is any rap?—you’d have to be an idiot to not at least grasp a few things from these songs. Or have had no interest in pulling anything from them in the first place."

-wikipedia

Fine there are always going to be idiots who don't want to challenge themselves and, like I said there are certain things that are easy to interpret... but when there are this many people disputing a song he did with in the end absolutely no conclusion I can't help but feel he's wrong.

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858663246/

I can't help but feel he really isn't rap, more like spoken word with hip hop beats(comparatively speaking). Because Rap isn't meant to be so cryptic, it's against the nature of the medium. I'm not against thinking deeply with rap! But there are certain guys that are cryptic like Kool Keith, MF DOOM, Aceyalone(project blow compatriots) El-P... and they remain distinctly hip hop in their nature and still manage to work outside the box and bring new ways of thinking to the medium. Aesop is just so over indulgent I can't help but feel it doesn't really belong in the same category at all. He's still an incredible artist though.

Not to mention aesthetically speaking when you perform his raps as fast as his does with sometimes poor mixing jobs you can't get to grasp everything he's saying because he's going to fast to hear it or you actually cant hear it or make out what he's saying!

Anyways this has been bothering me for a while...

I like him. Interesting point on the mixing though, I had a hard time getting into Bazooka Tooth because it was mixed so murkily. The new album's great though.

I used to enjoy his work quite a lot then after a while it all started sounding the same and his pose began to numb me... it has been a while since I last listened to him though so I'll revisit. I do love blockhead though

Guest Wall Bird

Wow, AOO pretty much summed up most of my thoughts on Aesop. Although he never seems to say a whole lot he says it with such ingenuity and imagination. It's almost as if he simply enjoys the act of speaking and wordplay over the actual content.

"Oh my left hand is a brick layer my right hand is a plow face

We build and destroy in response to every sound the crowd makes"

Guest taxman

i like him. labor days and none shall pass are good. bazooka tooth took me some time to get used to. fast cars danger fire and knives is probably my least favorite but i really like holy smokes.

the daylight ep is cool just because of nightlight.

Absolutely love the dude. His ideas of aesthetics over content match the way i work. If it sounds cool do it. If the wordplay is dope but doesn't mean anything specific, do it.

I relate it to how Aphex was once quoted as saying music without lyrics is better in a way because there is no fixed meaning, so you can enjoy the song on it's own and in the case of vague lyrics you can, in the same way that star signs work, adopt it and feel that it reflects how you feel about various subjects.

There is a lto more skill in assembling dope wordplay good enough to have listeners ready on the left with pencil in hand for a whole album than writing yet another fucking tune about love lost, or gained, or yearned for etc etc etc

My fave was and will always be bazooka tooth just because that seemed to be the peak of his craziness. Since then he's slowed down, stopped the voices (which I loved) and gone more trad hiphop, which is cool and I can respect in itself and also in terms of his growing as an artist, but yeah it's not QUITE as suited to me.

Also: not many can write such poetry and not come off as either pretentious or faggy

I like that quote from Aesop about his music - he gets dismissed a lot of times for being "nonsensical" which isn't completely true (although sometimes his metaphors do get so convoluted I'm pretty sure they're as improperly mixed as Bazooka Tooth. Ha!).

I think an Aphex Comparison is apt, especially with the faster tracks. Trying to catch and comprehend the very complex imagery, reference points, and metaphors on a good Ace track is like trying to catch and comprehend the very complex melody, beats, and textures of a good, fast Aphex Track.

Like him, one of my favorite rappers.

I've never really liked his choice of beats. Blockhead have produced some great tracks for him. But I think He should let El-P produce more of his tracks, instead of himself.

Guest Wall Bird
Like him, one of my favorite rappers.

I've never really liked his choice of beats. Blockhead have produced some great tracks for him. But I think He should let El-P produce more of his tracks, instead of himself.

El-Ps beats are fucking killer, but, unfortunately, they're mixed worse than Blockhead's. El-P's 'I'll Sleep When You're Dead' is one of the freshest hip-hop albums of the last few years I can think of.

Yeah 'I'll Sleep When You're Dead' is such a great album, it's one of the few really good hip hop albums in this decade.

But 'Fantasic Damage' and 'The Cold Vein' are even better.

Aesop is a really good rapper, but I have a hard time getting into his voice. His complexity sometimes boggles my mind, but I think he's kinda hit or miss and has a bunch of annoying songs.

Guest umop_apisdn

some people are trying to look too deeply into music sometimes. Quite honestly, half the time when I listen to rap, I can't make the words out, much less the meaning of the sentences.

:shrug:

Archived