IGNORED

Soundmurderer - Tone Down EP

Guest blicero

Love the EP. I posted Logical Volume Identifier some months ago. Been waiting on this for a long time. Glad to see it finally out.

The first tune is true killa, but i think that the other ones are pretty lame. hope that he goes back to the thing he does best, mayhem jungle!

I don't know if there's going to be any more Rewind releases. It was supposed to end at #10. A lot of time has passed since he released any of his stuff on it. The last one was in early 2005. And I haven't heard anything since the Plug release.

He put out some songs on Clash Records if you haven't gotten that. Check it out - http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/clash_records/clash010/

Guest blicero

Uh, holy shit. I would've totally bypassed this because my ragga jungle cup runneth over--there's nothing new to add to that genre. Then I hear this--something that sounds like the lost DAT collection of Aphex Twin from the 90s or something. Hot.

Have you not heard Soundmurderer before now?

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=12187

Love the EP. I posted Logical Volume Identifier some months ago. Been waiting on this for a long time. Glad to see it finally out.

I don't know if there's going to be any more Rewind releases. It was supposed to end at #10. A lot of time has passed since he released any of his stuff on it. The last one was in early 2005. And I haven't heard anything since the Plug release.

He put out some songs on Clash Records if you haven't gotten that. Check it out - http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/clash_records/clash010/

you are a godsend my man.i bought this ep just for that track...the others are nice and tight too.

amazing song.

I just downloaded this, yet I don't really understand what is so special about it so far. What does his other stuff sound like? The high end sounds really washed out and distorted(could be that the vinyl rip is fucked). The melodies are kind of cool, but kind of annoying and lack any cohesiveness to the song progression. The timbral qualities of the synths are annoying to me as well. sounds like EKT grade stuff to me. Somewhat enjoyable but nothing extraordinary. Third song...... Can't say I like the way this starts out either. Okay... its growing into something better, but still not my bag of tea, but much nicer than the second track. Its nice though, like the last two tracks. Almost reminds me of kettle or someone like that. You're right this is enjoyable, but hardly memorable. But respect to soundmurderer.

Guest blicero

I just downloaded this, yet I don't really understand what is so special about it so far. What does his other stuff sound like? The high end sounds really washed out and distorted(could be that the vinyl rip is fucked). The melodies are kind of cool, but kind of annoying and lack any cohesiveness to the song progression. The timbral qualities of the synths are annoying to me as well. sounds like EKT grade stuff to me. Somewhat enjoyable but nothing extraordinary. Third song...... Can't say I like the way this starts out either. Okay... its growing into something better, but still not my bag of tea, but much nicer than the second track. Its nice though, like the last two tracks. Almost reminds me of kettle or someone like that. You're right this is enjoyable, but hardly memorable. But respect to soundmurderer.

LOL - live blogging dick hole

Guest blicero

I think I'm a fan of blicero now... even if he's about to insult me after I say this...

tempting.....

i'm a bitter fuck, but not without reason.

I don't rate this very highly, even the jungle track doesn't do soundmurderer the justice he deserves. Logical Volume Identifier is probably the best track. The Disogs review is laughable, go here or read below:

Discogs Review

User Reviews:

somebedroomdj, May 01, 2009

Theres been a lot of hype about this record since it was announced and I have to say, it lives up to every bit of it and then some.

Ive always been a big fan of the Rewind Records material and Id heard some of Soundmurderers ghettotech and electro tracks done under various pseudonyms and liked them. But until I got this record, I really had no idea of the true scope of Todd Osborns production mastery. Heres a guy who can produce just about any style he wants to and hang with the very best in whatever genre it might be. I have nothing but massive respect for him as a producer.

So, what do we have here? Dubplate Murderer starts off the record and it is a ragga jungle smasher that is like something straight out of the early Rewind catalogue. As you would expect, the drum edits are complex and impeccably done and the vocal samples he uses are fresh. Vibewise, its a perfect mix between bouncy and chaotic.

Up next is Logical Volume Identifier. Not even sure what youd call this, so Im not even going to bother. Its a very happy track with drums that walk that line between hip hop and jump up, but theyre really only there as a guide, not the main attraction. What will grab you here is the intricate and finely crafted interplay of melodies. Genius lives here, so just sit back, close your eyes, relax and take it in. Youll find something new every time you hear it.

Onto the flipside, youve got 8th Stage which uses a similar set of sounds but with a more subdued melody. After a long and winding intro, the drums step up to a more prominent role than the previous track in a masterful display of tension and release.

And, finally, you have Awamori which takes the "Toned Down EP" to its logical conclusion. I hesitate to call this ambient because there is a significant drum presence but, somehow, the tag seems to fit. Warm, melodic, beautiful.

It looks like Ive put a lot of words down here when it would be much simpler to just say "Buy it and listen to it repeatedly." This record will obviously appeal to the ragga jungle heads out there but there is so much more here. I wouldnt hesitate to say that the rest of this EP is on par with the Analord series. Yes, I just said that.

Guest blicero
The Disogs review is laughable, go here or read below:

Discogs Review

How is that laughable? It's a tad sycophantic, but otherwise I think it's spot on. If you only like his jungle tracks, just say so. But don't hate just because he's doing other styles that you don't get in to.

also, read the rules.

First time I became aware of Soundmurderer was seeing Flying Lotus at DEMF. FlyLo was like "MY MAN SOUNDMURDERER TURNED ME ON TO THIS SHIT!" and he dropped some super nasty jungle shit. Now I'm checking some out. That Soundmurder & SK-1 sounds great.

The Disogs review is laughable, go here or read below:

Discogs Review

How is that laughable? It's a tad sycophantic, but otherwise I think it's spot on. If you only like his jungle tracks, just say so. But don't hate just because he's doing other styles that you don't get in to.

also, read the rules.

Apologies, but I think it's a bit much to gush over a release in that manner though (the Discogs review). I also think it's rather irrelevant to compare it to the Analord series since it's a different style of music. I was looking forward to this release, I didn't meet my expectations but it's not terrible by any means. It's fun, but in my opinion not great. I'm a big fan of his jungle work normally and not very keen on releases under his Osborne alias or his acid output, although I find his production on all of his releases to be immaculate. However, I find Dubplate Murderer to be a bit raucous and unrefined for my liking. Apart from Logical Volume Identifier none of the tracks on this release particularly appeal to me, I think there are people who produce this style of music better or at least suit my aesthetics better. Kettel meets Bogdan is a good comparison.

Perhaps it will grow on me though, since I've read so many opposing views to mine I've given it several more plays than it would have recieved otherwise. I purchased this release and will continue to check out future transmissions because when he gets it right Soundmurderer is awesome.

Guest blicero

First time I became aware of Soundmurderer was seeing Flying Lotus at DEMF. FlyLo was like "MY MAN SOUNDMURDERER TURNED ME ON TO THIS SHIT!" and he dropped some super nasty jungle shit. Now I'm checking some out. That Soundmurder & SK-1 sounds great.

That's cool. I was there for that. So was Soundmurderer. FlyLo also played an Osborne track or 2.

Guest abracadabra

Mmm...I need to get this.

Has anyone checked out "Components" Todd Osborn released this year? Need to get that too.

Archived