IGNORED

the electronic music scene

BCM

The Flahblub is America's IDM posterboy. England abhores the idea of an IDM posterboy and would laugh at one should he/she ever arise - i know we have AFX but he/s no fame seeking IDM-by-numbers producer so i don't count him as a posterboy... anyway, it's all The Falshlulb's fault.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all disjointed at best since it is all over the world. If it were concentrated in a specific area then it could be more of a scene. Maybe we should all just pick a town and move there and run everyone else out.

we could create our own local following like the DONK scene. this could be fucking amazing

let's do this

I'm down! What would be your ideal location?

but how would this community survive without anyone females to procreate with? airlift weed in to act as a hive queen? we could keep her in a basement under the town hall.

No need to make it sustainable. Scenes aren't meant to last for a long time. It could just be a fever pitched, I-haven't-gotten-laid-in-forever bloodbath of musical production and performance.

Guest 277: 930-933

I only read the first post but; no of course not.

We're part of it, but just a tiny little small part.

Thank god.

Guest Iain C

but how would this community survive without anyone females to procreate with? airlift weed in to act as a hive queen? we could keep her in a basement under the town hall.

We could feed her honeymooners and lonesome travellers whose cars break down in the miles of cornfields around the small southern town of WATMM. Someone can work in the mechanic's and tip us off to fresh meat.

We could feed her honeymooners and lonesome travellers whose cars break down in the miles of confields around the small southern town of WATMM. Someone can work in the mechanic's and tip us off to fresh meat.

Now you're talkin'.

We could feed her honeymooners and lonesome travellers whose cars break down in the miles of confields around the small southern town of WATMM. Someone can work in the mechanic's and tip us off to fresh meat.

Now you're talkin'.

I was thinking the exact same thing

The Flahblub is America's IDM posterboy. England abhores the idea of an IDM posterboy and would laugh at one should he/she ever arise - i know we have AFX but he/s no fame seeking IDM-by-numbers producer so i don't count him as a posterboy... anyway, it's all The Falshlulb's fault.

this is all true.

Personally, Otto is my US posterboy or whatever. I love that guy.

this is all true.

seriously? Otto is ok, buti think nautilis should be the us posterboy. ultimately the flashbulb is it for some reason.

Guest Tamas

I've just never understood why most IDM artists are English. Why is that? there are obvious exceptions (speedy j, v snares) something about the grey weather or summat is just inspiring to make grey unlistenable music.

So I pose another question: Why does america not have a IDM posterboy? That has to be due to the melange musical styles american culture has. Artists I've always felt had the potential to be insane IDM producers seem to take one of two divergent paths away from true english style IDM. If Madlib or Flying Lotus dropped a straight up IDM album (what is that?) they would be huge! But they seem content to just stick to making semi-interesting hip hop music beds. They clearly have the production chops to pull of something like that, but there's a purity of form that is lacking. Similarly battles and sufjan stevens, who clearly listen to IDM, and also have the resources and some chops (sufjan proved himself with enjoy your rabbit) seem to take electronic music in a pop/less interesting direction. also flahbub.

So what I'm saying is, the american "alt electronic" music scene skirts to close either hip hop or pop and while a little bit of either is not bad in the slightest, the culture of america prevents a certain purity in the music that the english excel at. Wisp is our only hope. just kidding. beak too.

please prove me wrong

I'm not sure if this correlates completely, but I think maybe the reason more good music comes out of Europe in general is because they make music for their own enjoyment. Most people in North America, they mainly make something that will sell and make them rich, and I think that really restricts someone. The fact that people like RDJ and so on make music for their own amusement speaks much about their mentality when making music.

And it also is a good example of why this place is significant in Electronic music. Most people here seem to make the music to entertain themselves, and giving it out for free, things like that are qualities that I think come with true talent.

this is all true.

seriously? Otto is ok, buti think nautilis should be the us posterboy. ultimately the flashbulb is it for some reason.

I guess one of the reasons why I like Otto so much is his attitude. The guy likes to have fun, ya know?

Guest tv_party

I like some of his stuff, and he has an entertaining angle, but for me it feels like the schtick threatens to suffocate the message. too much schizoid abstraction imagewise also has it's downsides.

It's all disjointed at best since it is all over the world. If it were concentrated in a specific area then it could be more of a scene. Maybe we should all just pick a town and move there and run everyone else out.

we could create our own local following like the DONK scene. this could be fucking amazing

let's do this

put a DONK on it!

Archived