The Deadline for NEW submissions is:

SUNDAY August 23rd 12:00 PM Eastern, US Time

That's more than 3 weeks

----------------------------------------------------

***UPDATE AUGUST 18th***

edit: that may change a bit...more later

--------------------------------------

***UPDATE August 6th***

So, I've gotten about 15 tracks. Those not selected have been notified via pm or email. There's a great need for more tracks though. So plz consider submitting a track by the deadline! :) Thanks to everyone that sent their tracks into me already. To those submitting new tracks, you can send them to me any time you want up to the deadline...starting now. Send links via pm or email: katiekilobyte (at) gmail.com

See below for more info and track submission guidelines.

If you are considering submitting a NEW track please read these guidelines:

- I need More beat oriented tracks

- 5 Minute +/- a few seconds track length, shorter is even better

- If you're going for more ambient style, make it progress into something or at least have some form of melody in there driving the track

- Minimal vocal samples. They can really make a track stand out and great on occasion, but for this comp, the less "speaking" the better, although the occasional sample can work.

More info on the comp in the spoiler below:

Fred has stepped down from doing this comp, and has given me permission to take it over. It will not be coming out on futonic records any longer. It will be coming out and hosted on my net-label. Here are the details:

Here are the new rules, pay attention:

I will go through the tracks you submit to me. I will then pick the ones I think are good and announce them in this thread. After that submissions will be re-opened for a month with a strict deadline. After they are all in I will put the comp together, and have it mastered. I will then press a limited number of cds and make them available for sale through my website. After cd's have started selling, unless there is a huge demand for more cds, the comp will be posted as a free download.

Thank you all for your participation and enthusiasm so far, I look forward to making this a great release!

For more info on track submission guidelines, and questions you have see the spoiler below:

***Disclaimer***

I understand that I do not have the same "watmm cred" as Fred, and if you take issue with me doing this comp you can simply not participate, and you don't have to worry about it b/c I do not yet have ANY of the tracks that Fred had received. So it's up to you if you still want to take part. I will be putting some of my own money into this (though not much!) and plan to buy at least one small ad in a major music magazine or website.

If you think you will be offended by my choice of who makes it on the comp and wish to question why i have the right to pick and choose peoples music, I can only offer that I have been a musician all my life, and involved with various forms of music and bands since my early teens. Beyond that I'm just a person that loves music and wants to share talented artists creations with the rest of the world.

PM or email me for any details. The same artwork by stoppit will be used for the cover, but the comp will not be called "IDM tribute to Antarctica" it may just be called Antarctica, or something else to be decided once it begins to take shape.

Edit: Here's a question I just got from acsdi:

When you say in the thread that after you pick tracks submissions will be re-opened, do you mean that people who are picked can have time to further refine their tracks or that you're going to pick MORE tracks? Just wondering if I should tinker with my track now or send you exactly what I sent Fred.

And my response:

I mean submissions will be re-opened to those NOT picked. So if yours is picked then I think it's good enough. But at the same time i'll give it about a week or so for everyone to get their tracks in to me right now. So if you can tinker with yours and get it in to me in the next couple days, be my guest :)

For more info on the origin of this compilation see the original thread

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fred is taking a break from the internet for an undisclosed amount of time. He felt that it would be rude to the artists to put the comp out in a halfhearted way. Also he felt that there were not enough good submissions to make a full length cd. He is focusing on IRL things at the moment. I can't really speak for him about that stuff though so that's all I will say.

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

p.s is this like when max took over retropublik? can we expect brandi b's "butonic records" soon?

Honestly it is what it is. Freds ideas and tastes are quite varied from mine so I wouldn't equate it to retropublik as I'm not taking over Futonic nor trying to continue its legacy or anything. Futonic will remain what it has been and whatever Fred decides it to be in the future. This comp is just going somewhere else. Like I said its up to whoever wants to participate, I hate for something like this to fade away. I figure better something than nothing :)

Having said that I am most certainly open to any criticism. No publicity is bad publicity :)

There is no website for the label atm, it's coming. I was waiting for my album to be finished to have that be the first release/launch of website. So this is a spur of the moment thing and I'm getting organized. Rest assured it will be up asap and I will link it from this thread. Today is my last day working on a contract i've been doing, so I have about 3-4 days of no work to get this all going smoothly :).

Guest Stoppit

cool.... well cover-wise, obviously I can get rid of the 'Futonic Records' text. If there are any other changes that need to be made to the writing, let me know.

I'm going to go ahead and set the deadline for new submissions since a lot of people are asking if they can just submit a new track. I encourage everyone that already submitted a track to get them to me by next Thursday so you can have priority. I want to give everyone the benefit of doubt since my opinions are different from Freds and I may find something workable that he didn't.

The deadline for NEW submissions is:

SUNDAY August 23rd 12:00 PM Eastern, US Time

That's more than 3 weeks

NO tracks accepted after this time, no deadline extensions. If i end up with extra tracks perhaps i will put out a supplemental mp3 mix with the extra tracks that don't make it on to the main comp. No promises on that. But please get to work! I really want to make this something we can all be proud of.

I agree with Fred that more beat driven tracks are easier to work with, and this shouldn't be an all out ambient album, but a track that is a large nod to 90's hardcore or extreme drill n' bass will likely not make it.

I want to note that I have received almost all of the tracks submitted to fred. And there are some really good ones that will be selected. However there is a great need for MORE submissions. So for those of you thinking about submitting here are my suggestions:

- More beat oriented tracks

- 5 Minute +/- a few seconds track length, shorter is even better

- If you're going for more ambient style, make it progress into something or at least have some form of melody in there driving the track

- Minimal vocal samples. They can really make a track stand out and great on occasion, but for this comp, the less "speaking" the better, although the occasional sample can work.

IF you're just THINKING about submitting, please do, even if you think it's a half hearted attempt, I can likely make it work, and it never hurts to try. I think this is going to be a great compilation!

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

even if you think it's a half hearted attempt, I can likely make it work

that's the spirit that makes netlabels all over the world rejoice

even if you think it's a half hearted attempt, I can likely make it work

that's the spirit that makes netlabels all over the world rejoice

hahahahaha

Hey guys, I saw the title of this thread and I thought I would share something with you...

My buddy Nintariman (some of you old IDM people should remember this guy) released an album called "Hands Across Antartica" like 6 years ago. To be honest, it still destroys most of the stuff that comes out today. I just thought it was relevant since he obviously knew how IDM Antartica was that long ago. I dont think you can proceed without at least checking this out.

You can have the whole album here: http://www.nintariman.com/nintariman/eep/hands_across_antarctica/index_320.php

Best of luck.

Hey guys, I saw the title of this thread and I thought I would share something with you...

My buddy Nintariman (some of you old IDM people should remember this guy) released an album called "Hands Across Antartica" like 6 years ago. To be honest, it still destroys most of the stuff that comes out today. I just thought it was relevant since he obviously knew how IDM Antartica was that long ago. I dont think you can proceed without at least checking this out.

You can have the whole album here: http://www.nintariman.com/nintariman/eep/hands_across_antarctica/index_320.php

Best of luck.

Yeah there are quite a lot of Antarctica related idm and electronic music things all over the net. More proof that Antarctica is awesome :)

Archived